Fighting woodelfs - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fighting woodelfs

Just wondering if u guys can give out some good tactics for fighting woodelfs.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    57 (x1)

Tactic A: Dont

I'm a massive fan of Tactic A, but even I have to admit that it is sometimes unavoidable.
    So I have devised other tactics.

Tactic B: Massive units of dire wolves.

They're fast, they're ugly, and they're incredibly cheap (include "your mum" joke here for any 12 year olds around) but with T3 and no armour save they do tend to fall apart a bit, especially under Wood Elf bowfire. By massive I am talking about units of something like 15 of them (maybe 10 if you think you can rely on a vamire with Summon Creatures of the Night), it only costs 120 points for this lot and it will put a stop to at least one unit of shooters.

Tactic C: Fell Bats.

-1 to hit due to skirmishing and 2W apiece means that these guys have a fairly decent chance of getting to the enemy in one or so pieces, and them being infantry means that IoN can give them a massive boost in the first turn of so.

Tactic D: Flying Terror Vampire.

Fly at them. Quickly. Make them take a Terror test. Hope they run away. Risky business.

Aside from this you want to take precautionary measures like having all of your characters in units, because the annoying wood elf forest movement rule will mean that you have to be extremely careful if you want to keep casters behind cover.

If you're going to take a Corpse Cart then you'll want to put Unholy Lodestone on it as opposed to Balefire as you shouldn't be facing TOO MUCH magic.

And in general just IoN up the arse and get to them as quickly as possible.

Good Luck.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    120 (x4)

I think terror causes are the way to go, varghulfs, black coach (don't think WE have any stength 7 so that would be a good choice). Black knights are good because they can go through the woods without penalty, hopefully they're armour would save them from any arrows.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Definitly black knights, a varghulf, and wraithes. and yea spam dire wolves and fell bats.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i think whraits are a really bad idea because half the army has magical attacks

The Dvl in Pale Moonlight danceman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

121 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by wout View Post
    i think whraits are a really bad idea because half the army has magical attacks
    Dryads, tree-kin and Treeman. The latter 2 are not that much of a concern due to their slow speed and movement value, you should be able to engage these with other units.
    Even so you can move through cover effortlessly so have the edge, but I would beware of one thing; Hail of Doom Arrow. This one hurt alot. A Wraith unit under the helm of commandment radius is still something WE needs to be very careful with. Infact, just having the helm is pure evil against WE who rely alot more on actual kills than other armies do.

Danceman.
    ""What's the matter? Don't ya like clowns? Don't we make ya laugh?" - Captain Spaulding.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    198 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by danceman View Post
    Dryads, tree-kin and Treeman. The latter 2 are not that much of a concern due to their slow speed and movement value, you should be able to engage these with other units.
    Even so you can move through cover effortlessly so have the edge, but I would beware of one thing; Hail of Doom Arrow. This one hurt alot. A Wraith unit under the helm of commandment radius is still something WE needs to be very careful with. Infact, just having the helm is pure evil against WE who rely alot more on actual kills than other armies do.

Danceman.
    Just to add to that list - Wild Riders, Any Character with a magic bow or enchanted arrows, Hail of Doom Arrow, then there are the spites that cause direct damage, and the ones that make the units attack count as magical.

I would think long and hard about taking a unit of wraiths against wood elves simply because of the amount of magical attacks that they can pump out - both at range and in close combat.
    The Bow of Loren (which gives the same amount of shots as the model has attacks - that or 3 shots, can't remember which) is quite common, as are arcane bodkins which can make a mess of your knights and heavily armoured units - and count as a magical attack, not to mention the myriad other magical bows and enchanted arrows available.
    And Wild Riders are pretty fast cavalry, easily able to outstrip the wraiths and get the charge on them - and because they have the Forest Spirit rule they have magical attacks.
    Playing against WE's can be a real pain, I'm thankful that I'm the only WE player in my group, so I never have to face them, but I do know how hard it can be for VC's to corner them. WE's have the edge of speed over almost every other army out there (possible exception is Dark Elves) and a relatively slow army like VC's can have a terrible time getting into combats that the WE player doesn't want happening.
    My advice? Protect your flanks, watch out for glade riders, and other march blockers. Stick together and don't go chasing him. Keep an eye out for lone characters - they can pack a punch.
    Consider a strong magic phase. Magic missiles etc will kill them quickly, as apart from the tree-like critters they are all t3 elves with little to no save.
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain (It's time to roll the dice)- Mattrim Cauthon

The Dvl in Pale Moonlight danceman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

121 (x3)

I didnt mention magic items cause well, that kinda goes without saying. Forgot about WRs but with skirmish and M6 and on top of that moving through anything the wraiths should be able to stay away from them.

Ethereals are liability at times, more so against WE but I do not think wraiths are auto-dead if you bring them. Avoidence, you other units and magic makes up for it(vanhels!).

Like Thomo says, MMs kills WE good. Magic in general is a good idea against them.

Danceman.
    ""What's the matter? Don't ya like clowns? Don't we make ya laugh?" - Captain Spaulding.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Forbidden lord...lore of fire....burn things...lots of things......trogdor style...

Good luck, and may the dice gods smile upon you and smite your foes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Puppet_master View Post
    Forbidden lord...lore of fire....burn things...lots of things......trogdor style...
    Definitely agree with this one. Lore of fire can do wonders against WE. I played a game against them last week and two castings of Conflagration of Doom took out both his dryad units and they aren't even flammable!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast