Question about Summon Powers - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Slaaneshi Battle Barge CO
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    127 (x5)

Question about Summon Powers

Vampire A has the Lord of the Dead power. Vampire B does not. Vampire A casts IoN a few times on a unit of Skeletons which started the game at 15 models, bringing them to 25 models. The Skeletons lose 5 of their number in combat. Can Vampire B cast IoN on them in the next turn to try to bring them back up to 25, or can he only cast IoN on them if they are under their starting strength?

I haven't heard this discussed anywhere before I didn't notice any reference to it in the Army book.

Thanks in advance!

"Is Archon Braigh-Dee going to have to choke a Wych?

Courtesy of Wicky: D.C.S.S.E.P.C.I.C.B.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    77 (x2)

Interesting question, if it happened to me personally I would say no because IoN does refer specifically to 'starting size', I think it would be a push to make that mean anything other than the size they started the game at. So you could potentially have a situation where Vampire A can raise them while Vampire B can't, which is interesting!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    198 (x4)

I am also leaning towards a no for Vamp B. The description seems pretty clear as to what 'starting size' is, and while Vamp A has the ability to raise them above that, Vamp B does not, therefore limiting the ability of vampire b to replenish the losses.
    I assume that there could be some argument made stating that with the increased numbers from the Summon Dead powers, that this then becomes the new 'starting point' of the unit, but I can't fully reconcile this with myself, let alone construct a coherent argument as to why this should be the case.
    Although, I can see this posing somewhat of a problem for some players, I do not think it will change my playstyle greatly (obviously, as I have never considered this before).
    Rep coming your way for posing such a great question - I look forward to whatever discussion this will generate.
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain (It's time to roll the dice)- Mattrim Cauthon

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Without Lord of the Dead IoN can only raise to the units starting strength.
    Its not raise to their last highest size. If you read your own post you will see you answered your own question.

"a unit of Skeletons which started the game at 15 models" so what is their starting strength? 15 can you raise beyond that without lord of the dead? no.

Seems simple and straight forward.
    Last edited by apbevan; January 12th, 2009 at 20:04.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

127 (x5)

I'd say that the rule as written is a bit ambiguous.. and it should probably be mentioned in an FAQ to clear up any potential misunderstandings.

Despite that, since it seems that there is a consensus as to how to interpret it, if it ever comes up (and I'm actually rather surprised that no one has mentioned it occuring), I'm going to play it as my much esteemed forum-mates suggest.

Thanks for the responses!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1283 (x8)

For what's it worth, I agree. Only the Lord of the Dead can take beyond 15, but it raises some good questions: What's a good starting size and on how many vamps do you take Lord of the Dead?

I only LoD on the lord and usually do something like dread knight and walking death on hero vamps. And I like to start with big units and raise them even bigger.
    Painting Videos--My Warriors of Chaos--WHFB Tactica Index

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

127 (x5)

That's why I was asking the question.. I wanted to know if I was wasting points on giving all or most of my Vamps a Summon power. It's definitely worth the points!

+ Reply to Thread