Taking on High Elves - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    29 (x1)

Taking on High Elves

Hi, I'm trying to make a list to take on the high elves. But I can't see a way to get past the ASF.

What should I do? What should I take? I really not sure.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    57 (x1)

Fact 1: Repeater Bolt Throwers are your enemy.

With massive Rank and File units the bolts are likely to be able to cut down whole swathes of your army before they even get anyway near the enemy, and add this to the impressive shooting of High Elves and you're going to need to be in their faces very quickly. For this I would recommend filling your Core as much as possible with large units of Ghouls (consider 21 in 3x7 blocks) which, while they will get taken down fairly quickly, they are very easy to bring back with Summon Ghouls. You can also give them a nice 8' bash towards the enemy pre-turn 1 with Ghoul Kin but this should only be recommended if you have enough magic to boost them up quickly.

Fact 2: Everything has really high Leadership.

The ONLY thing in a High Elf army that has a leadership under 8 is the Elven Steeds, everything else is going to be very likely to be able to get a charge in on you, especially, with their Ld of 9, Dragon Princes. A flank charge from these guys will REALLY hurt you, so at all costs you need to stop this happening. Small units of Dire Wolves are handy here, as they cause fear for only (very small censored number) points and as such have a chance of chaseing those pesky horeses away, if not then at least they will direct them away from youre more costly units a bit. If looking for a more proactive solution, then consider Grave Guard with Screaming Banner. Set them up in a nice tempting place for the Knights to charge and hope beyond hope that they dont defy the odds and pass a Fear test with only taking the best 2 of 3 dice. In case they have something that means they cause, or can ignore, Fear, you could take a vampire with Supernatural Horror of Scabscrath so that you cause Terror instead.

Fact 3: Get in their faces and you will probably win.

Fell Bats. 20' flying charge, and can be brought back D6 wounds per turn by a Vampire with Summon Creatures of Night on a one dice roll of 3+. These will very quickly despose of war maching crews or an annoying unit of archers, and will distract the enemy long enough to get your main army across the table.

Fact 4: High Elf players love Star Dragons.

I have never played against a High Elf army who haven't taken one of these hateful things and frankly, You are on your own here, I have no good ideas.

Finally: Good Luck.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I used to play high elves before recently switching to VC. Some other things to watch out for is Sword Masters, they will cut you up into tiny bits with their two attacks at str.5. I would advise you to stay away from them unless you hit them on the side with some cav or grave guard. Not all HE armies will have a star dragon, so prefer to go heavy magic (which i used to do) where they take an arch mage and a couple of lvl.2's or if they are really cheesey they would take Teclis. i would take the black peripate along with some scrolls and you should get by. If they take Teclis, they dont bother saving up your dice to dispell it because most of his spells will be irrisistable. White Lions wont be too tricky to beat since we cause fear thier stubborn is usless, just dont charge them with your cav.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    44 (x1)

What you basically want to do is just charge straight through his center.
    If you fear any of his units your going to lose, the key to vsing high elves is to be prepared for any and everything. Your going to most definately going to want to take a Vamp Caster Lord, as he can easily dish out more death than his high elf counterpart thats as long as you play smart. DO NOT, and i repeat DO NOT, take Regen Banner, High Elves are the worst for this to be taken against as Flames of the Pheonix completely nuls this and so does vaul unmaking, Keep Note that these spells are not your friends, save all your dice or scrolls for these. Ignore dragons, if this is not possible then summon some of your zombie friends and charge him with a unit 10 man sized minimum that way youve got 2 combat phases minimum (unless its a prince then your in trouble), Another thing to ignore is bolt throwers they arent as scary as you may think as they are usually hitting on 4's and if hes shooting anything important then you can heal or they have a save. Never ever charge cavalry units into swordmasters even on the flank as they will still kick your ass (yes i know its sad). Thats just a small overview of that stuff

But remember this Corpse Carts are your friends, bat swarms and blood knights not so much. you might wonder why blood knights are and thats because Frenzy makes them an easy target for Swordmasters, and that never ends well

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    29 (x1)

Thnx for the replies. I'm playing a few 1.5 point games first so I don't have to worry about lords for now.

I was thinking about taking a black coach, hoping the impact hits and my T6 with Asv and 4+ Wsv will keep it alive and the sword masters dead I could take banshees instead?

I was also planning on taking 2 units of fell bats to take out his bolt throwers. Is a unit of 4 fell bats capable of taking down a archer unit? or is it of no use because of their ASF?

I'm planning to take 1 corpsecart with balefire along to supress his magic a bit and maybe give me ASF once in a while.

I'm not a big fan of blood knights since they are distracted to easy. I'm taking 5 black knights instead with a vamp in it.

I like the ghouls with a vamp with ghoulskin. But is it safer to take skellies with shields? They strike first but not sure what is better against these ASF elves.

Any tips to take on their chariots?

I have 3 vamps, corpscart, will 1 dispell scroll be enough on 1,5k?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    220 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by aimbob View Post
    Thnx for the replies. I'm playing a few 1.5 point games first so I don't have to worry about lords for now.

I was thinking about taking a black coach, hoping the impact hits and my T6 with Asv and 4+ Wsv will keep it alive and the sword masters dead I could take banshees instead?

I was also planning on taking 2 units of fell bats to take out his bolt throwers. Is a unit of 4 fell bats capable of taking down a archer unit? or is it of no use because of their ASF?

I'm planning to take 1 corpsecart with balefire along to supress his magic a bit and maybe give me ASF once in a while.

I'm not a big fan of blood knights since they are distracted to easy. I'm taking 5 black knights instead with a vamp in it.

I like the ghouls with a vamp with ghoulskin. But is it safer to take skellies with shields? They strike first but not sure what is better against these ASF elves.

Any tips to take on their chariots?

I have 3 vamps, corpscart, will 1 dispell scroll be enough on 1,5k?

The corpse cart is a good choice to scupper High Elf magic, trust me we pay loads for each power dice...
    However, you will probably be better off taking large infantry blocks and some light units (Dire Wolves) to screen your force.

Once you get into combat, aim to get 2-on-one situations, as High Elves will generally butcher your units in close combat. Archery will be minimal, I wouldn't take archers as they don;t do enough damage for their points (and I don;t like paying for ASF on these guys when they are combat ineffective!)

Repeaters will focus on your Vampir enad his unit of knights. Each shot makes it more likely that he will hit your vampire. 6 shots from one followed by a single shot from another will cause a lot of damage to the unit, and each IoN can only raise 1 knight. The Vampire will thusly be left on his own, vulnerable and probably eaten by a large dragon.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    120 (x4)

I think a black coach is good against high elves, particulary because theres no cannons and that sword masters wound it on 5's after already taking impact hits, then have to get past armour and ward save, which would be hard, also it sucks up power dice that high elves likely have. Thats all I could come up with exact by taking a massive combat lord in whatever unit, he'd eventually win and should surive with only 3 models in base contact.
    Last edited by DoctorDogmeat; January 22nd, 2009 at 13:43.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fell Bats. 20' flying charge, and can be brought back D6 wounds per turn by a Vampire with Summon Creatures of Night on a one dice roll of 3+. These will very quickly despose of war maching crews or an annoying unit of archers, and will distract the enemy long enough to get your main army across the table.
    fell bats are not infantry, therefor do not regain D6 wounds but only one

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

they count as infantry...noone knows why...

Good luck, and may the dice gods smile upon you and smite your foes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Undead

My friend who plays with me has high elfs and we have played over 15 various battles together. As far as victory goes, he has won 2 times. The flaw with the high elfs i find is their low strength, excluding Swordmasters. When i play against them i feel Wights all over the place and over power him with sheer numbers. When a squad is lock in combat, i focus most of my casters to help bring back the troops. Sooner or later, he will get bad rolls and forced to flee due to fear. The sword masters i just through a squad of 5 Knights and vampire or hellsteed at them, he might kill 1 or 2 with their 2+ save becoming 4+, but the majority i will hit harder and with any luck break him.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast