Welcome to Librarium Online!
Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!
Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!
Hey guys ive been playing against my friend's WoC army the last couple weeks and been getting crushed. I usually run with 2 groups of skellys (hand wep / shield), and zombies for core. I like using a unit of 20 GG with Great weps lead by a wight king BSB with the Rejuv banner. In each skelly unit I have a vampire and I have a vampire lord lvl 4 that roams around individually using Helm of Command etc. With my extra points i have tried using a unit of Blood Knights / Dire wolves or Black Knights. My friend runs with a Deamon Prince (Tzeentch) and lvl 2 nurgle. Ive been getting raped by the nurgle spell that hits all units within like 18" with D6 hits at strength D6 no saves, and also the Deamon Prince's Gateway spell is leathal. In the last battle I lost my lord to a Gateway, and i think the battle before that he was killed by that Nurgle spell. The solution is to probably put him in a unit, but i really like the idea of a highly mobile (usually flying) mass rezzing / van hels vampire with the helm of command to lend help where needed.
How do you guys play your VC armies, any pointers for fighting the WoC? Any suggestions and comments would be appreciated! Thanks!
Last edited by Aurius86; February 2nd, 2009 at 05:27.
Against WoC try to bring some dispell scrolls if he is that magic happy, forbidden lore is good to take against WoC i usually take ghouls with corpse carts and black knights ASF posioned attacks is fun, other then that check other threads that deal with WoC tactics
Hey aurius, here are a few tips in fighting anything with Chaos.
*Take more magic, Add some vampires and maybe some necs, even though WOC are tough, they should be no means be able to beat you out in magic.
*I would never field outright Zombies or really even Skeletons as basic troops, but keep your zombies for rez as walls and flanks. Field Ghouls as troops because all chaos have a base Str of 4, meaning zombies and skeletons are not going hold. Ghouls atleast give you a higher T, making it harder for chaos to drop.
*Keep one good sqaud of GG like you are, but if the banner of rej is the Regeration banner, I think thats was to many points for what looks like a 2000pt game.
*Also maybe add some corpse carts to get their bound spells and with the aura for XX pts, gives -1 to all enemy casters roll, this ability also stacks so if you still have trouble with his magic, 2 of these guys will reduce his Casting roll by 2.
*To take out the Big bad nasty daemon, give a vamp the upgrade where he's on a horse, stick him with some knights, you lose the etheral movement, but hit the sucker with lance's and bring him down
I disagree with zombie, skeletons i beleve are a better choice for troops than ghouls, as if skeletons can actually give out a decent combat rez even if they lose combat, and in a magic army make great bunker units.
Give the GG hand weapon sheild and give the wight king either screaming banner royal standard of strigos or make him a more combaty type.
I agree with you in most cases Mirage, but up against chaos i have to kiss my skeleton legion behind. Ghouls have that toughness X and X attacks, that is better than skeletons and at least give them a fighting chance to hurt and survive against WOC.
As far as Zombies, i rarely field them opening battle since my VC army is very caster happy so i can get 2-3 squads of zombies in only 1-2 turns that act as decent tar pits to the bigger daemons.
The only reason I field the 20 zombies is to satisfy the last core requirement for the cheapest amount of points. Ive considered using 10 ghouls instead of 20 zombies (I did last night in a battle). 10 ghouls would be a decent flanking unit... Im also considering using 10 skellies, but I would certainly spend more for a unit standard etc. The skellys I could also raise up above 10 with spells. Idk, the point is a cheap core choice =)
you should be able to out magic him, even if he is going the tzeentch route... NEVER! leave your general roaming alone - especially since he's the linchpin of the army!!! if you want a helm of commandment character, you're better off using a supplimentry Lv2 vamp w/dark acolyte + either avatar of death or one of 'the master' powers... sitck them in a bunker behind the main line and then dish out the WS where it's needed most. your lord is better off trying to crack some skulls...
as for ways to beat the walking tin cans o' doom;
- fobidden lore on a vamp lord... take lore of metal an watch him cry!!! use rule of burning iron to pick on his characters, and spirit of the forge to wreck his super units. (ie: chosen, knights etc...)
or lore of beasts... you get an auto-hitting bolt thrower spell, plus 'bear's anger' = massive hurt!!!
- lord w/red fury + dread knight + dreadlance + staff of damnation = hurt... stick him into a unit of blood knights and hammer something!!! you've got an easy 5-8 kills from the vamp lord on top of whatever the blood knights inflict...
- ethereal critters... chaos are limited to pretty magic weapon + magic missiles meaning that their basic units can be undone by those S5 cairn wraiths! plus, most units only have Ld8 so a banshee can also get a few kills as well!
just bewere of charging chaos knights!!!
- black coach. by the same token as the ethereal stuff, if he's loading up on magic, stick a black coach in his face to suck up his power dice!!! heck, you could even use your own wizards to fuel it for the first turn or two... pretty soon you could end up with a real monster flanking unit!
- instead of the regen banner, give your wight king the sword of kings for a 5+ killing blow and stick the banner of the barrows onto the GG unit... helps big-time vs. nurgle warriors & chosen as now you still hit on 4's, and against anything else you're typicaly hitting on 3's!
hand weapon/shield is the only combo vs chaos as that extra 2pts of armour save can really tip the balance!
hope this helps,