No Vlad love? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No Vlad love?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    32 (x1)

No Vlad love?

I'm just curious, I've never seen anyone field Vlad von Carstein. I was thinking of having him lead my 2500pt list, but seeing as nobody seems to use him, it got me thinking. Does he have some unseen flaw or is everyone sticking with tooled up combat vampire lords instead? Vlad seems like a monster to me, I can't understand why nobody uses him. Anyone have any thoughts?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    73 (x1)

I don't really have a list that would use him effectively. That said, looking at his stats, it seems to me that you can tool up a standard Vamp Lord to be a better combat guy than Vlad. Maybe not as survivable (due to the lack of the Ring), but still would have a larger combat presence.

That said, Vlad seems like he'd be a fun character to stick in a unit of Ghouls and have another Vamp with Ghoulkin. (Or just be a really crazy leader of a Grave Guard unit...)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

68 (x4)

Wow... he has 245 points worth of gear and powers (including level 3) and he costs almost 300 points more, all to get a ward save and an extra attack.

Sorry but he just isn't worth it. If he got to use the ring multiple times over, yeah, but as he stands you can make a better vampire yourself. Even the ring isn't really that much fun to work with, I think having an armour and ward save would more than make up for what little you are losing out on by not taking it. He pretty much just has the ward save to keep him alive and then one time he has a chance of coming back, effectively just doubling his wounds.

Personally I think he's overpriced hog-spit. Give me a normal vampire any day.
    Last edited by archonofdeath; April 16th, 2009 at 10:12.
    A youth with his first cigar makes himself sick; a youth with his first girl makes other people sick. - Mary Wilson Little

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    32 (x1)

Wow, speedy reply.

I can see how you can upgrade a normal lord to be better (and cheaper) then Vlad. Guess I didn't notice before I read up on some nasty Vampire Lord combos.

Question answered. Thanks guys.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

73 (x1)

Nasty Vampire Lord combo?

Vamp Lord w/ Red Fury, Beguile, Walking Death, Dreadlance, Nightshroud, somthing nifty (Maybe Black Periapt), and a Zombie Dragon.

Yeah, crazy expensive, I know. He's my "I use this guy for fun at 3000+ points!" combat Lord. Hits first 99% of the time, rerolls to wound when necessary/possible, auto hits, gets extra attacks, etc. THEN the Dragon gets to slap you too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    32 (x1)

Yep. That'd hurt.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

68 (x4)

A simple Red Fury/Blood Drinker combination causes some major havoc, easily destroying enemy rank and file as well as healing your vampire and the rank and file around him. It's very potent, even more so if you can manage to get all of your attacks to wound the first time.
    A youth with his first cigar makes himself sick; a youth with his first girl makes other people sick. - Mary Wilson Little

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

mmm...sticking dreadlance on a vampire riding a monster is ify, T5 dragon can be taken out ez by shooting or magic and BAM 60points wasted.
    I'd prefer blood drinker, S5 will wound most hero's on 4s and when u facing heros, beguile rly kicks in!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

68 (x4)

Theoretically casting IoN should be as effective at restoring your ZD as using the Blood Drinker, and if it goes down to shooting/magic then you never had a chance of keeping him alive in the first place.

Also, personally, I think Infinite Hatred is a lot better than Beguile, and it would be better to take it with said lord and give him Blood Drinker as well.
    Last edited by archonofdeath; April 16th, 2009 at 10:37.

MHZ
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He has a cool model tho, so Im just painting it to use as a normal vampire.
    Tyranids W/L/D - 13/4/3
    Vampire Counts - 1/2/0
    Space Marines - 2/0/1

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast