kastellan question - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

kastellan question

is it worth giving kastellan a magic weapon for 25 pts? or save the points due to the lack of good wepaons for him at that many points?

or is it FaQed anywhere to be able to give him any magic item for 25 pts

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not only would I never give a Kastellan a magic weapon/item, I'd never take a Kastellan at all, since you may not always want to issue a challenge.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1. blood knights have to accept challenges anyways and any model can, regardless of if its a Kastellan or not.

2. in the vampire book it says magic weapon, however in the sample army list in the book they give the Kastellan a magic item that is not a weapon. R theses people just retarded (i guess so cause they make pretty shitty army lists that are not either thematic or winning lists), or can u give them any magic item.....?

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    280 (x6)

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie_Bollie's_Orcs View Post
    1. blood knights have to accept challenges anyways and any model can, regardless of if its a Kastellan or not.
    No they don't. The Martial Honor rule states that normal blood knights *may* accept challenges like a normal unit champion, not that they are obligated to accept them. A Kastellan has additional rules in this regard, which can be found in the army book.

But to answer the original question, I agree with dwarfthane in that I never take one with my Blood Knights. If you do, it can be useful to give him a balefire spike to get the unit some magical attacks (if no character is with them toting a magic weapon).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I as well rarely if ever take a Kastellan in a unit of Blood Knights.

I really like the model, however so I use it as a Dread Knight Vampire. I don't really like the GW mounted Vampire since it's a skeletal steed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If I'm taking a Kastellan and if I decide to give him a magic weapon, I'd give him either the Sword of Might or the Balefire Spike.

The best time to take a Kastellan is if you're taking a Vampire to lead your Blood Knights and giving the Blood Drinker. You don't want to risk that character in challenges and he can bring back a slain Kastellan with a single swing of his sword.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you have a vampire in a unit of Blood Knights, you don't need a Kastellan anyway - any of the regular BKs can accept the challenge (and, as you noted, easily get resurrected). Sure, the magic weapon possibility is neat, but there are times that you may just not want to challenge.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I didn't realize that any of the other Blood Knights could accept the challenge.. this means that the only reason for taking a Kastellan is if you want another magical weapon in the unit. Still occasionally useful, if they survive your charge, but not nearly as important as having a resurrectable model designated for dying in challenges.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    220 (x8)

The Kastellan being ressurectable is really great as it means you can invest in him,, and rememebr thathe comes with an additional attack, so would be the best choice to accept any challenges anyway.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sure, if your opponent really wants to challenge and beats you to the punch - since otherwise the Kastellan is obligated to offer a challenge.

+ Reply to Thread