Post painting themes - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post painting themes

Now I haven't actually begun collecting VC yet, but I am pretty certain of my choice. More than anything else I'm wondering about the colour and paint schemes I could use... if anyone has any unique paint schemes or even modified figures I'd appreciate seeing the range of things out there!

I was rather heading towards a typical dark and dusty contrasted with rusty metals and blood red - as I'll mostly be heading with skeletons and hero units.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Benevolent Dictator CaptainSarathai's Avatar
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1480 (x8)

I don't have a very good camera, so I apologize for not getting any pics up, however my scheme may be the 'alternate' that you are talking about. I run a vampire based in the south, Araby.

Cloth is done in white, inked with blue. The white is for the fine silks of Araby's armies, and the blue ink gives it the hue of a midnight full moon. For my vampires and more detailed models, some of that cloth is painted to look like sheer gauzy silks.

Armor is a mix of bronze and also the rugged steel of both sides of the crusade. Fortunately, I use lots of older skeletons who wear little armor and no cloth, so it's more a matter painting a few leather straps and some tiny plates. On cavalry it's knightly, with steel or black lacquer.

Furthermore, my Black Knights are converted from Brettonian knights and painted like fallen Templars. Their dirty white tunics are marked with inverted crosses, daubed on with the blood of their enemies. Think off all the horror films you've seen where the title is painted in gore. It looks like that.

My gravegaurd are converted from Brettonian Men At Arms, and painted like early crusade forces. Their tunics are leathery brown, and their shields and heraldry are painted in the colors of Carcassonne, as they are the troops that he brought from home on the crusades, before he fell to vampirism. Loyal (or coerced) to a fault they follow him even in death.

Bases are done in light beach sand, and then inked in blue- once again, this gives a midnight hue to the sands that they're marching on.
    Pts Values for AoS here!

Nippon Armybook: Isuu, Scribd, and free at Google Docs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've decided to have my army look like it's an entire host of ghosts and spirits with a slant towards Bretonnian descent on some units. This is how my skeletons look like. The lighting does dillute the clearness of the colour, sadly.

Skellies

And here's a character next to a skeleton.

Character

This style of painting is tremendously quick and easy to pull off. If I really put my mind into it I can get a 20-man unit done in about an hour. They might not look all that great and terrific of course but since I dislike painting personally, I feel that it's a good tradeoff.

Benevolent Dictator CaptainSarathai's Avatar
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1480 (x8)

Wow, very nice Spark. I like the character- is that GS work? The scheme looks quite good as well. With your characters, I think you might benefit from a few more layers of highlights, up to almost white. It looks more 'ethereal' that way. I use a similar technique for my Wraiths, but with blue. I run six layers on them, all the way up to IceBlue/SkullWhite 1:1.

Come on guys! This should be getting replies- I wanna see some/read some more!!
    Pts Values for AoS here!

Nippon Armybook: Isuu, Scribd, and free at Google Docs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the input Sarathai, though this painting scheme does not make use of any highlighting. It is broken down into these simple steps.
    1. Paint model codex grey about halfway up to the head, drybrush down to the feet.
    2. Paint model fortress grey about 75% up to the head, drybrush down to the knees.
    3. Paint model skull white around the shoulders and head, drybrush down to the chest.
    4. Light wash of thraka green.
    5. Medium wash of thraka green.
    6. ???
    7. Profit!
    You don't even have to pay any real attention when applying the grey and white, the wash will sort all the detailing out on it's own.

Some of my units use a differently coloured wash for both background and visual purposes. This black knight have taken on a grey monotone colour to separate him from the green trash, haha.

Black Knight 1
    Black Knight 2

Getting the barding to look decent was a bit of an issue thanks to the large plain areas and how the washes play out over those but I think that this one came out alright..

Edit: Oh and also no, that's not any GS work that I've done with the character, that's how he came out of his blister. It's a Reaper miniature.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

sick im gonna use this on some of my models =)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm going to assume that you're referring to my pictures with that comment Kbuck, I'm glad that you like them.

Also, here's a bunch of "zombies" that I painted up recently.

ZOMBIES

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I get the odd incling to call that "Jade Painting" because it makes them look sculpted~ Hah, some good inputs I'd say. Always looking forward to seeing new works, so I hope more people contribute. I'll be getting my first major collection of VC's this week and I'll be sure to chop something together!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    84 (x3)

MasterSpark, your army is looking good i like that ghastly fell you are going with for them. Do you have a project log started for your army?
    World Eater and Blood Angels striped 8/28/10

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    108 (x4)

nice, especially the zombies. I might have to steal that look...
    Avatar's Arena #3 let the games begin!
    The Outsider And Kae'Tyr-necron fluff

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast