Beginner 2000 point army - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Beginner 2000 point army

Just got into the game. Dont have the models yet, just kicking some ideas around, see what works best.

Lords/ HeroesVampire Lord on Zombie Dragon670Master of the Black ArtsForbidden LoreDispel ScrollsSword of StrikingEnchanted ShieldCoreCrypt Ghouls (20)168Crypt GhastSkeleton Warriors (20)200Skeleton ChampionMusicianStandard Bearer - Cursed PennantRareGrave Guards (20)315SeneschalMusicianStandard Bearer - Banner of BarrowsSpecialBlood Knights (10)650Kastellen - Sword of BattleMusicianStandard Bearer - Banner of Strigos

Tell me what you think. Like I said, i am a beginner with a few games under my belt, so be nice if you think that I have no clue on what im doing. thanks
    ----------
    Lords/ Heroes
    Vampire Lord on Zombie Dragon
    Master of the Black Arts
    Forbidden Lore
    Dispel Scrolls
    Sword of Striking
    Enchanted Shield
    Core
    Crypt Ghouls (20)
    Crypt Ghast
    Skeleton Warriors (20)
    Skeleton Champion
    Musician
    Standard Bearer - Cursed Pennant
    Rare
    Grave Guards (20)
    Seneschal
    Musician
    Standard Bearer - Banner of Barrows
    Special
    Blood Knights (10)
    Kastellen - Sword of Battle
    Musician
    Standard Bearer - Banner of Strigos

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Let's see if we can't go through this step by step.

Lords/ Heroes

Vampire Lord on Zombie Dragon
    Master of the Black Arts
    Forbidden Lore
    Dispel Scrolls
    Sword of Striking
    Enchanted Shield

This is a decent build for a lord. Forbidden lore probably isn't worth it unless you're actually taking a non-vampire magic list, you'd be better off with an extra magic level. That being said, you are severely lacking in other vampires! Vampires are powerhouses that support your essentially terrible infantry, restoring their health and bolstering their combat prowess. In order to do so, you need to spread them throughout the army. You may want to scrap the dragon and use the extra 300 points for two more vampire heroes. If you really need something dead, a small squad of Blood Knights should be able to handle it without much trouble.

Core
    Crypt Ghouls (20)
    Crypt Ghast
    Skeleton Warriors (20)
    Skeleton Champion
    Musician
    Standard Bearer - Cursed Pennant

You may want to simply pick a unit to stick with. If you end up taking the Master powers, you can raise units past a certain size - but either skeletons or ghouls, not both. They're about even, but where ghouls do more damage, skeletons have more static CR. Also, I wouldn't use the cursed pennant unless necessary - it involves your unit dying, and you don't particularly want that with only two core! You may want to stick with something as simple as the war banner, or the one that doubles unit strength. Skeletons win by having a lot of static CR - large unit, lots of ranks, a banner, and a (relatively) nice armor save. You want them "alive," so a banner that takes effect if they die becomes slightly problematic.

These two are switched around - Grave Guard are special, Blood Knights are rare

Special

Grave Guards (20)
    Seneschal
    Musician
    Standard Bearer - Banner of Barrows

Good unit. A solid choice.

Rare

Blood Knights (10)
    Kastellen - Sword of Battle
    Musician
    Standard Bearer - Banner of Strigos

Ten seems like serious overkill. Especially with the Banner of Strigos, the Blood Knights are going to be a serious liability when they aren't in combat. With no ward save against missile fire or any regeneration, your lord will end up spending most of his power dice just trying to prevent bolt throwers and cannon balls from destroying your unit. You don't really have an effective screen, either - most of the time, dire wolves are used to protect the unit from nasty things being shot at the knights. With such a small amount of core, you really don't have enough missile protection (or frenzy screening) for these knights.

This would be a difficult list to play. You've got very little that plays to the strength of vampire counts. Low numbers of troops and low levels of magic mean that the vampire counts' traditional strengths are going to be underplayed. Any army with high levels of shooting would seriously hurt this army, because there simply aren't enough models to soak up any firepower. My advice would be to scrap the Blood Knights and Dragon, invest in a Varghulf for now, using the extra points to perhaps put in some Black Knights, heroes, and some extra core. Use those heroes like magic locuses. If they don't have something else to cast, they'd better be spamming Nehek. A Varghulf will take care of anything short of a dragon, and a dragon can be tarpitted by zombies made by your heroes, or skeletons that can be continually brought back.

I hope this helps!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In an all comers list Forbidden Lore is great because it provides versatility but with only 1 Vampire Character your not likely to get much of any spells off. Your list looks mostly Martial but your Lord seems confused as he is taking a Dragon, but picking Magic powers and is fragile with only a 5+ AS

A Zombie Dragon is a hard Dragon to use as he has a low Toughness as far as Dragons are concerned. I would suggest not using this unless playing 3k or until you have had more games under your belt and want to have some fun.

If doing a raising army mixing your core units is a bad idea but if your not then it adds versatility. I primarily play with 1 Unit of Ghouls and 2 units of Skeletons in a non raising list(i.e. no raising powers)

Frenzy is a challenge to use if you have no experience with it and putting so many points into a frenzied unit is asking for trouble.

As the Blood Knights are the only frenzied unit VC can pick if you want to use them I would suggest playing with 5 Blood Knights with no command. This keeps them deadly yet does not sink to many points into them. I personally like the models and find they are a pleasure to use, just don't let them be a point sink.

Sword of Battle is a bad choice for a Kastellen as your getting rid of his Lance attack on the charge for an extra attack when he already has 4 attacks. The Flaming Lace is a good choice as it will help against any regenerating units.
    As was suggested its a good idea to have a screening unit like Direwolves or Black Knights.

Your list only has 2 units with the rule of Vampire meaning that unless a unit is within 12" of your General or 6" of your Blood Knights they can't march. This is another reason for seeding your Infantry with more Vampire characters.
    Last edited by apbevan; June 20th, 2009 at 20:31.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Try a build something like this. I think you'll find it more balanced. For clarification, this is not a specific points list or even a terribly great one - it's more for how the army distribution usually looks like.

Characters

Vampire Lord (Caster lord, not combat)
    Master of the Black Arts
    Lord of the Dead
    Dark Acolyte
    (Magic Armor)
    (Arcane Item/Talisman/maybe magic weapon?)

Vampire Hero
    Dark Acolyte
    (Magic weapon/Arcane Item)

Vampire Hero
    Dark Acolyte
    (Magic Weapon/Arcane Item)

Core

2-3 (maybe even 4!) 20-25 man blocks of skeletons/ghouls

If you plan to raise zombies, you can decide whether you want to field any at the beginning. I like to field a unit or two because they're just so cheap, and I can deploy them on my flanks like tarpits. However, if you're crunching points, don't bother - just invest in a Skull Staff and go to town with Raise Dead.

10 Dire Wolves

1-2 Corpse Carts

These are personally one of my favorite units. Their bound spell means that after you finish draining the opponent's dispel pool with your Vampires, the bound Miasma will most likely go off - also why it might be cool to bring two, not only spreading out the Miasma but ensuring a higher probability of success

1 20-25 man unit of Grave Guard

This is your crack unit. Takes a beating and can dish one out. Use in combination with a vampire or a good banner.

5-10 Black Knights

You can split this up into two units, if you'd like - you can't charge large blocks of infantry, but you can spread out how they attack. Just be careful they don't all get shot at once so you can't raise them anymore.

If you were feeling very adventurous, you could field a small unit of Fell Bats to go war machine hunting. For 2 wounds apiece and flying, just 3 or 4 of them can take on a war machine crew easily. Just not Dwarven ones.

Spirit Hosts also work well if you desperately need a screen that can't be shot down. A unit of 3-4 is also pretty nasty against things with T3 and no magic weapons, or units with low numbers.

Rare is a very hard thing to choose. If you feel like you need combat strength, you could use the Blood Knights. However, I tend to prefer the Varghulf for combat. If you want a more defensive rare choice, use a Black Coach. The Coach will last for essentially forever, especially if you let it soak up a lot of magic before you use it on the enemy.

+ Reply to Thread