Welcome to Librarium Online!
I am planning on battling hordes of chaos and high elves, i was planning on taking konrad and mannfred or is that just expensive overkill?
short answer, YES!!! count mannfred is one the worst characters high can face since he not only has insane magical potentcey, but also he knows EVERY! spell from the lore of death on top of the lore of vamps! give him the skull staff for sure, and perhaps the staff of damnation as a second arcane item... (especially if he's going front and center around the rest of your army!)
lore of death can absolutely wreck the high elves;
- doom and darkness! take -3 off your Ld... then hit the elf unit with a terror bomb from say a vargulf and watch them run like dirty, filthy skaven! handy for breaking up their flanks or else sending their scary units like swordmasters running. just watch out for a unit carrying the standard of balance & those annoying pheonix guard who are immune to psych...
- walking death. handy for throwing a terror bomb right into the middle of a battle line! high elves may be mostly Ld8/9, but force enough tests and eventually the'll fail!
- dark hand of death & wind of death. easy to cast S4 magic missile spells which no elf will like much!
- steal soul decent if you give mannfred the crimson gem of lahmia as you can then bump him upto 8-9+ wounds over the course of the game, and then spam your opponent with hiddious amounts of power dice late game, likely after his scrolls are all used up!
- drain life. not bad, but not the best 'uber spell... still, if you work mannfred into a decent position, you might just knock a rank bonus off a few units in one go!
overall, i love facing high elves with lore of death! it plays a nice psychological game on them and still has some decent hitting power VS. a T3 army...
recently i used a doom and darkness + walking death roaving terror bomb to keep the high elf line fairly fractured and typically sent a unit running every magic phase!
mannfred can pretty much take the place of 2 casting hero level vamps and thus allow to take a necro and/or wight king without sacrificing a huge amount of your magical offense.
another great trick - especially if you're not slapping mannfred into a unit of blood knights, is to pair him up with a wight king w/sword of kings + nightshroud + barded steed. he'll keep mannfred safe from assassination, and likely clear out 2-3 elves before they get to strike! just try to get a vanhel's off on the unit so you can re-roll your to-hits...
konnrad i'd stick into another unit to spred out your phsyical hitters - just keep him near mannfred so he doesn't spend half the game stupid!
Experiment 626 pretty much nailed it...
If you know how to use the pre-made characters, they can be devastating... If you don't, do not field them
Ask Nagash! Click on the banner...
WiP TK Army!
I like to take Manny on a barded Nightmare with the Skull Staff and Staff of Sorcery.. can you say +2 to dispel and +1 to cast? He's pretty awesome. Upgraded Lords can be a little better in combat and cheaper than Manny, but in the configuration I use him, none of them are better with the magic.. unless you're running a Ghoul heavy list.
If I'm taking Mannfred, it means I'm going for magical superiority.. which means that I leave Konrad at home. He's a good character and as powerful a fighting hero as you'll find, but I prefer a more balanced Vamp who contributes to my PD/DD pools.
"Is Archon Braigh-Dee going to have to choke a Wych?
Courtesy of Wicky: D.C.S.S.E.P.C.I.C.B.
Don't be too scared of throwing him into combat either, he's still a vampire lord (with a couple of extra wounds to boot). He's not a characer killer so you need a champion or hero to take challenges for him, but have him hitting soft rank and file and you can get a nice bonus to the next magic phase thanks to the Sword of Unholy power, an extra 3 dispel dice can really wreck a magic heavy army's plans.
Also, as mentoned above, don't forget he has the Lore of Death too. If you've done all your raising and Van Helsing with other casters then Manfredd can throw out up to 5D6 S4 hits in a single phase.
2000AD's answer to all "How do VC deal with ..." questions: Forbidden Lore + 2 Power Stones.
Further answers will require more vodka.
Mannfred is obscene, but can easily be taken down by a combat-oriented lord e.g. Dragon prince. Magical dominance is great, but likelihood is that with such an investment, you'd wnat to keep him alive to cast those nasty spells. I concur, Doom and Darkness is great..especially against armies that need a decent LD like High Elves
Join the LO army system! http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...t&uniqueid=910