Combat Lord - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Combat Lord

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    48 (x1)

Combat Lord

new to VC and was perusing the book and was wondering if this is a good combo for a Vampire lord

Lord (lvl3) on Hellsteed with
    Dreadlance, Crown of the Damned.
    Red Fury, Walking Death, Avatar of Death.
    comes in at 475.

gives him a 3+ armor and 4+ ward save and basically annihilate anything he comes into base with.

at higher points I am wondering if the same thing but putting him on a dragon will be good?

also correct me if i'm wrong but a model on a flying horse can not join a regular calvary unit correct?

eg, couldn't have him in a black knight squad then have him charge off on his own at some later point?

Painting: 20 quarrelers

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Spotify

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    115 (x5)

Welcome to VC!

The Vampire Lord Combo is good, depending on what he will do on field. I would suggest that you drop the CotD for something else To make your Lord Stupid is one of the worst mistakes I've ever done, do not do that

Dragon is good, as long as you can handle a model with such many points. Bear in mind that he is your General, so don't loose him to Impossible missions

He cannot join those regiments

Hope It Helps

Ask Nagash! Click on the banner...
    WiP TK Army!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    220 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Hondor View Post
    new to VC and was perusing the book and was wondering if this is a good combo for a Vampire lord

Red Fury, Walking Death, Avatar of Death.
    comes in at 475.

gives him a 3+ armor and 4+ ward save and basically annihilate anything he comes into base with.

at higher points I am wondering if the same thing but putting him on a dragon will be good?

also correct me if i'm wrong but a model on a flying horse can not join a regular calvary unit correct?

eg, couldn't have him in a black knight squad then have him charge off on his own at some later point?
    I wouldn't actually give him Dreadlance, it is somewhat too expensive. I would rather give him a simple Sword of Might or else a lance, give him an enchanted shield to bump up his save to 2+, and I wouldn't give him the Crown, as you can never guarantee on not losing your most powerful piece to stupidity when he needs to charge.

Wristbands of Black Gold and Book of Arkhan are excellent means to protect him - he will win through most combats by himself, Wlaking Detah is probaly unneccessary, though Infinite Hatred is requried to give you your free rerolls...(much cheaper than teh Dreadlance and not situational...)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Red Fury, Dark Acolyte, Avatar of Death.
    comes in at 480.

Dreadlance and red fury means walking death is pretty miniscule I would take dark acolyte.
    Ld10 means you will rarely fail, I use the Crown all the time and it has not put me in any bad situations.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Spotify

115 (x5)

Hahaha xD You must be Lucky Everytime when I've used it my character has been failing the important charges and Magic Phases... Everytime!

It's just a matter of how much the Dice Gods likes you

WiP TK Army!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

220 (x8)

I suppose that the fact that you only take stupidity tests on your own turn means that you only take it say 6 times, but statistically there is a 50% chance of it striking you in a game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    324 (x8)

On most other units that have stupidity it's a pretty major issue, however on a LD10 Vampire Lord I don't feel it would be as steep. (as opposed to on say..a troll, or Konrad) it is a pretty nice ward save, I'd say give it a shot and see how it works out? If your vampire likes being stupid, find another piece of wargear.

Hondor your build looks strong, it's just a matter of refinement from there. More magic will likely get you further than an extra point of combat res, this character is built to win combat by crushing the other unit into nothingness, static CR isn't a big influence IMO.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Spotify

115 (x5)

I prefer to give the Vampire something that can save him well without such a great disadvantage, since Stupidity can mess ones Tactics more than the 4+ Ward Save can save the Lord

WiP TK Army!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You'll be testing a maximum of 6 times but then your flying combat vampire is not doing what should be doing, fighting. I would say 3 stupidity checks is about normal.

The 4+ ward is very important because your bound to run into some high strength or attacks that ignore armour. This will be coming in the form of shooting, magic and combat. Remember this vampire is by himself on a hellsteed
    Your only other options are a 5+ which costs more or a 6+ which is hardly any protection.
    Last edited by apbevan; July 6th, 2009 at 19:05.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

220 (x8)

If we consider that a flying hero can pick his targets effectively, then 3+ against magic and missiles seems much better a deal, whilst affording you teh ability to cast spells as well as charge when you want.

If you do face an uber enemy with say ASF great weapons, then Book of Arkhan is going to make them hit on very poor rolls, whilst you butcher him/her/it with Red Fury, a reasonable magical weapon and infinite hatred for rerolls. If you go for the Zombie Dragon with the -1 to Hit, then your opponent is pretty much guaranteed to get munched in teh first turn, especially if you have blood drinker to recover wounds on the dragon...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast