Hand of Dust - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hand of Dust

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hand of Dust

I know I just posted like 30 seconds ago:

Experiment 626 gave me this idea, I just made it cheaper by putting it on a Wight King

Wight King - in unit of Black Knights
    Steed
    Barding
    Lance
    Hand of Dust

Charge in, fire off the spell, clean up the remnants. Keeps you from being outranked, and strength 5 is pretty nasty.

Any thoughts?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Spotify

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    115 (x5)

Sure It can work while you hide the fact that you got it... Once your opponent knows that you got the Hand of Dust, he won't let it go off that easily

But !GAH! It is a great item indeed hehe

//Nagash

Ask Nagash! Click on the banner...
    WiP TK Army!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    55 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by Nagash View Post
    Sure It can work while you hide the fact that you got it... Once your opponent knows that you got the Hand of Dust, he won't let it go off that easily
    //Nagash
    That's why you also take someone with the Book of Arkhan. Just about everyone playing against VC keeps a dice or 2 for the Book, so use the book first to get rid of that and then boom (or vice versa if you need the van hels.).
    Once they know you've got both of them they're faced with the quandry of whether or not to hinder their main dispelling by keeping back at least 2 dice to dispell the bound items.+
    Can be taken to extremes in some cases by adding the Rod of flaming death and/or the Staff of Damnation.
    2000AD's answer to all "How do VC deal with ..." questions: Forbidden Lore + 2 Power Stones.
    Further answers will require more vodka.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Spotify

115 (x5)

Quote Originally Posted by 2000AD View Post
    That's why you also take someone with the Book of Arkhan. Just about everyone playing against VC keeps a dice or 2 for the Book, so use the book first to get rid of that and then boom (or vice versa if you need the van hels.).
    Once they know you've got both of them they're faced with the quandry of whether or not to hinder their main dispelling by keeping back at least 2 dice to dispell the bound items.+
    Can be taken to extremes in some cases by adding the Rod of flaming death and/or the Staff of Damnation.
    True they will have problems facing those powers... Make your opponent choose between letting your army grow or his/her army succumb

WiP TK Army!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    44 (x1)

Take it on a necro with horse, its cheaper and means when the character dies because he will youll be losing less points and a combat character

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mirage. View Post
    Take it on a necro with horse, its cheaper and means when the character dies because he will youll be losing less points and a combat character
    That reasoning does not make much sense. Put an expensive item on a character(necro) thats going to die instead of a character(wight king) who is one of the toughest Hero choices around. An item that needs to be in combat to be used.

I like the idea of the Hand of Dust on a wight king in a bound heavy list. all those strength 5 hits goes a long way for a character where the magic weapon choices are less desirable when mounted.

I rarely take Necros because they die so easy. when I do I put him on a corpse cart that I try and keep out of battle. Necros are better equipped with Book of Arkhan+Black Periapt, Rod of Flaming Death or scrolls.
    Last edited by apbevan; July 24th, 2009 at 16:57.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Spotify

115 (x5)

Very good point - worth taking into consideration

WiP TK Army!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    44 (x1)

How does that reasoning not make much sense, youve just proven to us that you payed little attention to the posts and know little about VC

Were talking about lone chargers, a wight king would always die to the static combat rez, so why waste more points on him, when you can take a necromancer who does the same thing for less.

Also you cant take book of arkhan with black periapt, i would know this because ive read the rules and because i frequently take a necro with book of arkhan or scrolls

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Spotify

115 (x5)

Also you cant take book of arkhan with black periapt, i would know this because ive read the rules
    Hahaha I think most of us have read the rules A better argue is that both of them are Arcane Items

//

WiP TK Army!

Benevolent Dictator CaptainSarathai's Avatar
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1480 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Draconia View Post
    Wight King - in unit of Black Knights
    Steed
    Barding
    Lance
    Hand of Dust

Charge in, fire off the spell, clean up the remnants. Keeps you from being outranked, and strength 5 is pretty nasty.
    youve just proven to us that you payed little attention to the posts and know little about VC

Were talking about lone chargers, a wight king would always die to the static combat rez, so why waste more points on him, when you can take a necromancer who does the same thing for less.
    He's not sending in a lone character. It's actually you who hasn't paid attention to the post. He's using a regiment of 5 Black Knights as a delivery system.

So rather than advising against sending in a lone charger, you're going to advise that he waste 120pts rather than 140pts? Furthermore, if he is being judged on composition, the Necromancer is going to lower his score more than the Wight, because it generates powerdice. The Hand of Dust is distributed like shooting, so he wouldn't be able to just rush in and assassinate a character hidden in a unit. The Hand is- as he stated- for decreasing enemy ranks and US prior to the actual combat, so that they have a lower CR.

Also you cant take book of arkhan with black periapt, i would know this because ive read the rules and because i frequently take a necro with book of arkhan or scrolls
    You are certainly not a pro in the area of punctuation. I can't quite make sense of that last part, but I think you're trying to say that you understand this item rule because you field Necromancer's frequently? It doesn't matter if you use necromancer's- you can't take that item combination because you are never allowed to take more than one item of each type. Like Nagash said.
    Please, drop the elitist attitude and stop implying that everyone else is an idiot. You're no more superior than the rest of us, we're all geeks who enjoy playing with toy soldiers long after most people have progressed to beer and girls. If we can't get along with each other, who else can we talk to?
    -----

Now, to answer your request Draconia- here are my thoughts on your idea:
    You're paying 50pts and forgoing any other magic items in order to gain a pl3 bound spell.
    The low power level is going to be your undoing I think, because a lot of people will keep aside a die for this one. You could surely force them to choose between the Hand or another spell, but most people are going to keep a dice aside to stop 2D6 S5s. It is certainly a nasty bound spell.
    You'd be paying at least 260pts for this unit, and using one of your characters (who could be used as a BSB or switched for another caster). For similar points you could get a regiment of 5 Blood Knights. You'd have to deal with Frenzy, but the damage is a little bit more guaranteed than it would be with Hand.
    Remember, the Hand doesn't count towards combat resolution, and the enemy and can still strike back in the combat phase. So it's not an answer to ASF or anything- you'll still have to fight.
    I think it's something that you should give a try, and if it works for you, keep it up. It's not a bad idea, but I was able to find quite a few possible snags.
    Pts Values for AoS here!

Nippon Armybook: Isuu, Scribd, and free at Google Docs

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast