Welcome to Librarium Online!
I'm just about to have a 1000-1500 point game versus skaven and i have absolutely no clue on anything that a skaven army can do. I'm piloting a zombiefest army, (or maybe a balaanced army vamps + ghouls + GG + vargulf and wolves if i can't get enough zombies). Do they have any nasty tricks i need to watch out for?
Well where to start. Skaven can have massive amounts of fire-power that will eat small units alive. Also their "magic" can be interesting or deadly depending on how your opponent wants to play it.
You will need to use your fear and terror causing to your advantage, especially if you can force a terror test on the flanks toward the rest of his units. Skaven also have the ability to shoot into/through their own units, and have lots of things that can hit our incorporeal models.
Sorry I don't have any more time to go into any more detail.
My Armies: Orc & Goblins, Vampire Counts, Empire, Space Marines/Blood Angels, and Cygnar
We have horrible leadership. There's your way in, now use it!
Beware of Ratling Guns, they can tear an entire unit to bits very quickly.
ok combat vamp + ghoul rush might work then, and ill see how much terror i can get in too
- Avoid taking ethereal stuff, most (all?) their shooting counts as magical.
- If they have a Warp Lightning Cannon then keep your characters in units as they ignore normal target restrictions.
- Consider beefing up your magic defence a little (Scroll, Balefire on corpse carts, black periapt) as they're hero level 'wizards' have access to a nasty magic missle and a few bound spells.
- Fear might not be as useful as it normally is until later on as most of the time Skaven start with big outnumbering units to make the most of their special LD rule (they add their rank bonus onto their LD).
- If they do go magic heavy remember that Skaven don't get Irresistable Force with double 6s, they get it when their unmodified casting roll is equal to 13.
- If you can cast it then Wind of Undeath is brilliant against Skaven as not only do they tend to have a lot of units but it also hits all the pesky weapons teams, helping you get rid of them.
2000AD's answer to all "How do VC deal with ..." questions: Forbidden Lore + 2 Power Stones.
Further answers will require more vodka.
Ok... I'll tell you one thing...
Beware! Skaven is an Army made with ALOT of tricks, so don't get fooled
Terror bombs are great vs the weapons teams as they can't benefit from rank bonus leadership increases (even if teh general is in a ranked unit). Ghoulkin is a good way to get into combat early, a Ghoulkin vampire with talisman of the Lycni and a Blood Drinker can charge out of a unit and butcher with relative impunity against most opposing units - aim for the smaller units if you can where rank bonus etc is less.
Vampire bats are quite useful, but cavalry is golden to get the flanks of skaven units and eliminate their rank bonuses..
Join the LO army system! http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...t&uniqueid=910
Actually the weapon team if within 3" of the parent unit can use the parent units leadership, so it is a bit hard to make them run to.
but us wind of undeath to take out weapon teams easily, curse of years is great, as they have large numbers of models in there units, and also he will have to waist dice in his turn to dispel the effects, weakening his magic phase, and skaven often go magic heavy.
Be sure to save some DDs too, in case of available Skaven crucial spells... He can always use Warpstone Tokens!