Mirage's Guide to the Vampire Counts. - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    44 (x1)

Mirage's Guide to the Vampire Counts.

Ok as many of you know, I've attempted this before and it actually got quite a few people replying. But of course like many good things, it came to an end, mainly because I used to have school, and used to play games on the computer. Well with me getting bored of WoW and no longer having Warcraft 3 on my computer and actually having no life. I thought it was best to basically redo it, but this time finish it with more detail.

So I hope to go through everything there is to go through with VC, with my build up to Fields of Blood giving me more experience with things I havent tried before (Don't take that the wrong way please people).

This is what I'm hoping for in terms of content.

i. The Vampire Counts Overview
    ii. VC Special Rules
    iii. VC Lord
    iv. VC Heroes
    v. VC Core
    vi. VC Special
    vii. VC Rare
    xi. VC Bloodline Powers
    x. VC Items
    xi. VC Tactics
    xii.
    xii.
    xiv.
    xv.

Ok those last 4 are for any other things that come to mind or other peoples ideas
    I'd prefer if you have ideas then you type it out and PM them to me that way everything is one area instead of all about the place.

And it would be great if this was a project that the forum (the experienced players in particular) could contribute to.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Spotify

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    115 (x5)

Are we supposed to help you write this Guide? Example:

I write about the Vampiric Powers, while you focus on the VC overview.

or

Are we supposed to pm you the analyzes that we've made and you simply put it here? Example:

I write about the Vampiric Powers and send a pm to you. You just copy the text and put it here, stating that it's my work.

Just want to make it clear before I start

//Nagash

Ask Nagash! Click on the banner...
    WiP TK Army!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    44 (x1)

Great Question.

Basically you send me what you've done on something. I copy it in and say this is your view of it etc etc meaning you get the credit and people get to see your ideas.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Spotify

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    115 (x5)

Quote Originally Posted by Mirage. View Post
    Great Question.

Basically you send me what you've done on something. I copy it in and say this is your view of it etc etc meaning you get the credit and people get to see your ideas.
    ----------
    Reserved for the Overview of the Army.
    Nice, Then I might have sometihng to write about this month

//

Ask Nagash! Click on the banner...
    WiP TK Army!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    44 (x1)

i. Vampire Counts Overview

September 10th 2009

Vampire Counts Brief Overview!

Ok so after a bit of a break from the forums to do other crap, I've decided to get started on this.

The Vampire Counts are a Tier 1 Army, meaning that they are right at the top of the cheese ladder and people like to have a good moan and groan about them if they're too hard (Myself included). VC have the usual Undead rules of Crumbling, Fear Causing etc etc which I'll go on about in the next post.

We have a very good choice of Heroe's, Core and Rare, while our Lord and Special Choice's are a bit more limited.
    Now although our only Lord Choice is the Vampire Lord, the VC's MASSIVE!! Assortment of Item's along with the Vampiric Powers allow us to make a very very large range of Vampire Lord Builds so this easily compensates for the lack of different lords.

Our Magic is 2nd to None with its effectiveness, in that the lore has 2 of (In My Opinion!!!) the best spells in the game, which I will talk about along with the rest of it's nastyness later.

Although we appear weak in combat, we have one of the best anvil units in the game, the Grave Guard. We have ghouls who if used right are a force to be reckoned with. And our rare choices all can be great hammer or support units.

Now being of high tier composition VC are definately not your optimal choice for a comp-based tourney for those of you who do not have ALOT of experience with them. When I say comp-based I mean 20% of the score or higher for comp.
    Although if you do have alot of experience, then you might be able to get away with the big hit you'll almost certainly take.
    But also in a competion where there is Little-to-no Comp VC are easily one of the better choices. Because they can be a very hard army to get points out of, can cause alot of damage fast in the end hopefully giving you good results.

In the right hand's a VC Army can be absolutely brutal, with all the combinations that it offers. But if not used carefully, the entire army can crumble before you can get a grasp of the game. But then again, depending on how you've built your list the above can be completely thrown out the window, as they can be structured around being very forgiving to a player who is newer, giving them a much higher chance of winning, even against a much more experienced player. Because frankly that's the kind of army VC are. You can make them tactical and require good combos and tactical prowess to win the game while at the same time making it alot harder for yourself (not advised if your starting them) or you can make an army that can withstand anything then hit back twice as hard, or better yet never let them strike and go straight for the killing blow.

Well thats my Briefish Overview of the Vampire Counts army

----------
    November 25th 2009

WOW I'm actually back to finishing this (I have been posting very little since I started this)

Ok so straight onto it then.

The Vampire Counts Special Rules

Well the Rule that makes Vampire Count's most notable, is the Undead Rule which we share along with Tomb King's.

Although we share the same rule as the Tomb King's, we do not share all the same "Sub-Rules" that come with being Undead.

Immune to Psychology: This is just the obvious one, its of little importance to really talk about. Basically we can't flee as a charge reaction

Fear: Probably one of the lesser important one's now with all the Immune to Fear/Psychology or Fear Causing unit's in the new book's. But that does not mean that in the hands of a player who knows how to use it can't be devastating.

Having Fear gives us the chance of disabling an opponents charge or combat capabilites, so when used in conjunction with Magic or Abilities makes for a rather effective defensive mechanism for one of your units.

What also makes Fear so special for Vampire Counts in particular, is that having the ability to raise units above their starting size makes for an easy outnumber, and with all the static we have (and hopefully kills) we have ourselves an enemy who should break on anything but Double 1's (Once Again Fear Causers, Immune to Psychology and Immune to Fear are unaffected....... Unfortunately )

So most armies may see Fear, as just another ability, but Vampire Counts can effectively use it as a Shield or Sword.

Marching: Now this Rule is a luxury that the Tomb Kings do not share (for long ). When one of our units is within 6" of any Model or Unit with the Vampire Rule or within 12" of our General, that unit may march. Now this is what really makes Ghoulkin so good, because it gives you that free 8" move at the start of the game enabling you to set up for the game.

Not only that but that is what makes our Black Knights so useful. Because they can hit like a train, and they are also not slowed so much (espcially when paired with one of the Vampire Rare Choices, The Black Coach, Varghulf, Blood Knights).

This also makes our Dire Wolves a very very good unit of hounds, as they count as fast cavalry, and have a 18" march so if you place them on a very crooked angle in front of a unit , and disable the unit from getting past, you've got yourself a very very annoying redirecter.

PLEASE READ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!! BELOW

Break Tests: Ok as we all know, we don't take them and instead we crumble instead. But I would not like to continue with this bit until I've been cleared up on one thing.

It says in the book that we must allocate all wounds onto the unit, where as I've never played it like this (sigh at me) and then allocate all wounds onto characters equally. I just want to make sure everyone else knows this before I continue with this topic

PLEASE READ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!! ABOVE

The General: Ok so like in all Undead armies, we Crumble once things go bad in combat, or once our General/Heirophant has died, which for us is very bad, for Tomb Kings its just another small loss.
    But for us, the guy who just happened to raise your army, also happens to be the General, meaning once he die's we have units with a Base Leadership of 2-6 on average. Which basically means your going to kill a few if your General dies. No armour saves can be taken against these wounds, but Ward Saves are Regeneration can. Be Sure to Remember this!!!!.

Also unlike Tomb Kings, we have the luxury of unit's not even having to take the test. (Models or Units with the Vampire Rule)

So the Idea is to make sure your General is safe, and is not needlessly exposing himself to damage, unless you are confident in your ability to control him.

Battle Standard: Many people believe our Battle Standard's abilites are pretty ineffective (not the banners of course) and really don't give much to the list. Personally I disagree, as it's always nice to have a Battle Standard in your list, just to lower the amount of wounds your taking from combat resolution. There isn't really much to talk about for this really.

----------
    Reserved for the Vampire Counts Lord Choice
    ----------
    Reserved for the Vampire Counts Hero Choices
    ----------
    Reserved for the Vampire Counts Core Choices
    ----------
    Reserved for the Vampire Counts Special Choices
    ----------
    Reserved for the Vampire Counts Rare Choice
    ----------
    Reserved for the Vampire Counts Bloodline Powers
    ----------
    Reserved for the Vampire Counts Items
    ----------
    Reserved for Tactics with the Vampire Counts
    ----------
    Reserved
    ----------
    Reserved
    ----------
    Reserved
    ----------
    Reserved
    ----------
    Last edited by Mirage.; November 24th, 2009 at 14:08.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    44 (x1)

Finally it's underway. Opinions??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here-i got bored a while ago.

http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...cs-v1-0-a.html

Use article however you want.
    If i'm a priest, i'm not a saint.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    157 (x3)

I would help out but I haven't used my VC in a while so am not in the best VC mind set, I'll still keep an eye on the thread to see how it develops.

With your overview you talk a lot about the tournament side of VC which I think may be the wrong sort of introduction as the sort of people who will be reading this will be beginners so it's almost like your chucking them in the deep end.

One more thing is for the last 4 sections you could have articles on:

List Building- Something that can be done badly with VC so I think it warrants its own article.

Magic- VC win with their magic, explaining how to get the most out of it would be a fine addition for a VC newcomer.

Any bad match ups and how to deal with them, even if it is to tighten up and play for a draw.
    BEN DIESEL FTW!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    44 (x1)

Filled in the Special Rules

Well this is the start of what will hopefully be a full comeback in this time of few posts.

I hope you enjoy reading this, and that it can help some of you. Feel free to post your own ideas too!
    Last edited by Mirage.; November 25th, 2009 at 10:17.

+ Reply to Thread