Getting into VC-> Got some advice? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tyranid Warrior Fanatic Phalanx's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    146 (x7)

Getting into VC-> Got some advice?

Ok, so I've had my VC for a fair while but I never really got putting them together and stuff until a couple of days ago. I played a 1500pt game yesterday and won (first game of fantasy, but considering it was a Goblin Spider Rider list with the only non-spider riders being two mages its not much of an accomplishment). Anyways, I was wondering what people would recommend.

What I have:

Many, many vampires of all types (got them cheap from an auction just after the 7th ed VC book came out-> IIRC 2 are mounted and I have more than 4 unmounted)
    ~5 boxes of 6th ed skeletons (3 TK, 2 VC, I could probably make about 100 from the 5 boxes combined if I use grave markers)
    2 Necromancers (one on foot, one on a horse)
    10 chaos hounds (used as dire wolves)
    5 Chaos Knights (to be used as blood knights)
    20 6th ed Grave Guard (didn't add the shields so they'll use GW)
    I'm currently using a box of TK cav as 6 black knights, but I'm trading someone for somewhere between 8 and 11 black knight riders and 3 "horses" so I'll just have to remove the current riders. If its less than 10 I'll make us the remainder with the TK cav so I'll have between 10-12 black knights.

Its a chaos aligned vampire army (I'm adding a bunch of icons and stuff) and I can make a 2K list out of these right now. Are there any recommendations for tactics or models that would be useful? Right now I use banner of the barrows with the 20 GG and the royal banner of Strigos for the 6 black knights and a warbanner in one of the skeleton units. I have no zombies (which could have screwed me over in that game against the gobbos because both my lvl 1 vamps rolled "1" for their spells) and no models that could really be used as zombies (unless I mess around a bunch with my 6th ed starter orks-> yeah, I got the 6th ed starter way back before 7th but still hadn't managed to play a full game until yesterday).

40K armies: Tyranids (2001), Space Wolves (2008), Sisters of Battle (2011)
    Current Rep: 1337

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    470 (x8)

Hmm. I'm not really all that good with recommendations, but seeing as you don't have any zombies at the moment it might be advisable to use the Bloodline power that allows you to raise units above their starting strength. Perhaps start with slightly smaller units (15 or thereabouts) and use a magic-heavy army to raise them up to a suitable size.

I'm not sure whether to recommend using necromancers or not. Some people swear by them and others think Vampires are better. I suspect it all comes down to what your gaming experiences are like.

It does sound like you're aiming towards and elitish, combat heavy army, so maybe vampires (which you can tool up to be quite proficient in combat) would better suit the rest of your units.

Hopefully some more experienced players can give you a better idea of what works and what doesn't!
    Rabbit; Our Tau community has the talent of figuring out how to turn a feather into a timebomb. Macgyver would be jealous.
    8people; Honey, why is my fluffwars story your shopping list?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Spotify

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    115 (x5)

Indeed, you should get some Zombies... They are acting as the "Wall of Wounds" when you want it - where you want it (since you can summon them almost anywhere)

I would suggest that you go with a list, simply made like this:

Characters - Magic Focus
    Core - Small Units, they will grow via Magic throughout game which will give you more points for Rare and Special
    Special - Grave Guards, Black Knights... Yeah, whatever you find strong in your tactical view
    Rare - Blood Knights, since you want an Army that is based on Chaos

Ofc, this is only suggestions from an experienced player

//Nagash, the Founder of Necromancy

Ask Nagash! Click on the banner...
    WiP TK Army!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

146 (x7)

It sounds like some good suggestions. +Rep.

But yeah, I'm definately going more elite-ish with trying to get 2x6 Black Knights, my 20 GG, and some blood knights. So if magic based would fit this by helping with my skeletons and stuff more I guess I'll go more magic based. A lycni vamp for mage hunting and warmachine hunting would still be a good idea though, right? So far from what I've seen the dogs are about as dependable as a cardboard shield when the enemy has real swords.

It looks like I'm going to have to get looking at buying some zombies soon. How many should I need?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    55 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by Phalanx View Post
    It looks like I'm going to have to get looking at buying some zombies soon. How many should I need?
    Personally I'd say the minimum just for raising them in game is 20. As the minimum starting unit size is 20 it's quite easy to say you'll need a lot if you hacve a couple of units in your list..
    Cost can be slightly mitigated if you do the old trick of having 'zombies in the proces of being raised', i.e. a base with an arm, head or other body part sticking out of the ground, prferably with the scenic gravestone that comes with zombies and skellies on too. Means you can get about 50% more zombies per box if done well, but don't go too overboard on those though.
    2000AD's answer to all "How do VC deal with ..." questions: Forbidden Lore + 2 Power Stones.
    Further answers will require more vodka.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

146 (x7)

Sounds good to me. Thanks for the advice. I'd rep you but it seems I've repped you too recently to rep you again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Spotify

115 (x5)

Quote Originally Posted by Phalanx View Post
    It sounds like some good suggestions. +Rep.

But yeah, I'm definately going more elite-ish with trying to get 2x6 Black Knights, my 20 GG, and some blood knights. So if magic based would fit this by helping with my skeletons and stuff more I guess I'll go more magic based. A lycni vamp for mage hunting and warmachine hunting would still be a good idea though, right? So far from what I've seen the dogs are about as dependable as a cardboard shield when the enemy has real swords.

As 2000AD said, you will need alot of Zombies Maybe try to use rank-fillers to boost their numbers a little

The Lycni Vamp is surely a good one, but still a risky one for you I would say that you field some Wolves to screen the Blood Knights (they can get damned tricked out there, since they got Frenzy) and use Fell Bats (boosted by a "Summon Creatures of the Night"-Vamp) to hunt War Machines... Haha

//Nagash

WiP TK Army!

Benevolent Dictator CaptainSarathai's Avatar
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1480 (x8)

Summon Creatures of the Night is wasteful. In the description of IoN, you can only raise INFANTRY units by more than a single wound, and bats are Flying. So yes, you can raise them, one at a time, in order to bring them above starting, or even to replace a single wound. Everyone acts like Summon Creatures is such a good power, but remember: only a single wound per casting.

I would look to have about 40 Zombies. Personally, I have 120. But that's through careful manipulation of sprues and buying them on the cheap. And before you ask: yes, I've put them all on the table in more than a few games. Just remember that when you build zombies, give whole zombies weapons. Save the empty hands. Then buy some extra bases, and put sparse "zombie bits" on them. You can actually use the skeletal torso hanging from the banner as a zombie with it's upper body out of the ground, and you can use the hands off the banner pole to look like a zombie clawing through the earth. You can use tombstones as markers, and also just a spare hand, or a spare hand and head, or two spare hands, to create more zombies pulling themselves to the surface. If you take time with the conversion and paint them nicely, maybe even stick a little static grass on the tops of the hands or in the fingers, people will usually let you use them as stand-ins for raising. I can usually get about 10 extra zombies this way.

There are a lot of other evil suggestions, depending on how competitive you want your army to be.

Dickenhof Guard: Graveguard w/ Banner of Barrows, BSB with Banner of the Hoff, Vampire nearby with Helm, Corpse Cart nearby with Miasma, Great Weapons, Champion. Hit on 2's, wound on 2's, KB, ASF. Makes a great "anvil" in the center of your army.

Magic Monster: Vampires with tons and tons of casting ability.
    Lvl4 Lord with 2 extra dice, Lord of the Dead, Skull Staff
    L2 Vampire w/ bound item
    L2 Vampire w/ bound item
    L1 Vampire w/ 2 extra dice, scepter de noirot
    Carts

Min/Max: take smallest possible core units, 10 Skellies. It frees up points for your other units, and with so much magic, you can usually raise them up to size very quickly, and/or stall the enemy with mountains of zombies that you raise after the start of the game.

Blood Knights w/ Banner of Strigos: Nothing scarier than 3S7As with Rerolls. I usually stick the unit right in the middle of my army, in front of the GG. That way, if the enemy wants to bait me, they can feel free, but they're still stuck in the thick of it at all times.

Ethereal Screen: You can deploy skirmishers 1' away from eachother, and they block LoS. Line up two units of 5 Wraiths across the front of your army. As long as you can keep the magic of their back, you have an invulnerable screen across your lines.

There are some beginning suggestions for a few nasty elements within your list. These are the more-or-less "cheese" regiments, and if combined together, people will hate you. However, I play tournaments with my VC, so I like to be prepared with the most evil lists available.
    Pts Values for AoS here!

Nippon Armybook: Isuu, Scribd, and free at Google Docs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Spotify

115 (x5)

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainSarathai View Post
    Summon Creatures of the Night is wasteful. In the description of IoN, you can only raise INFANTRY units by more than a single wound, and bats are Flying. So yes, you can raise them, one at a time, in order to bring them above starting, or even to replace a single wound. Everyone acts like Summon Creatures is such a good power, but remember: only a single wound per casting.
    True I'm sorry, missed that point You're totally right Captain

//Nagash

WiP TK Army!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fell bats count as infantry, I think.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast