Ethereal Confusion - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My apologies if this is an obvious question, but there is something about the wording of ethereal that throws me off. It states that it cannot be hurt by normal weapons but then says "as a consequence" it might be defeated in close combat. So, is it that it can only be wounded by magic weapons and spells in close combat, or is it that it can be defeated by wound rolls that can't actually hurt it?

Thanks....I've read this several times and I seem to interpret it differently each time I read it.

- netgeist

<a href='http://www.absurda-t.com' target='_blank'><span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:blue'>Absurda-T</span></span></a>

Your place for apparel and novelty items for your favorite games&#33;

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi,

I&#39;ve lent my VC book to a friend, so I can&#39;t actually read it, but... My understanding is that ethereal stuff can&#39;t be wounded by normal weapons and that only magic ones, or spells can cause them damage.
    However, if you lose the combat then they can lose wounds through combat resolution. So, they&#39;re not (talking about spirit host at least) a unit to throw at the front of your enemy but much better for flank and rear attacks, so you can negate rank bonus, etc.
    A wraith in a good strong skeleton unit, with the obsidian amulet (if necessary) is a nice combination. If the amulet is not necessary, then the cursed book (-1 to hit in a 6" range) is nice.

Alex
    Mordheim: Middenheimers & Night Goblins

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OK...that&#39;s what I hoped was the case. However, doesn&#39;t it make sense to always throw them into combat against units with no magic, since they effectively couldn&#39;t lose that combat?

- netgeist
    <a href='http://www.absurda-t.com' target='_blank'><span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:blue'>Absurda-T</span></span></a>

Your place for apparel and novelty items for your favorite games&#33;

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

theoretically, but not if the enemy unit is going to beat you in combat resolution.

If they&#39;ve got 3 ranks and a standard then they&#39;re 4 up against you already, not good.

Flank attacks are certainly the way to go with ethereals

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thats correct. Don&#39;t forget that you can still lose combat even if you cause more wounds than your opponent does.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey i wanted to ask, can reapeter bolt throwers shoot through ethereal guys or cannon balls. I&#39;m srry if this is kinda a newbish question but i&#39;m new

w00ty

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

? about guys in units like a wraith.

but they can&#39;t go through units of spirit hosts as they block LOS.

Anyway I have a weird Q for you&#39;s

you all know how a wraith riding a nightmare makes the nighmare ethreal, well what if he is riding a winged nightmare (ie necarch army) does the winged nightmare become ethreal too.
    How victory may be produced for them out of the enemy&#39;s
    own tactics--that is what the multitude cannot comprehend.

-Sun Tzu

&quot;Quantity has a Quality of it&#39;s own&quot;

-Josef Stalin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi,

Re. w00ty question - not sure about your sentence construction, bolt throwers going through cannon balls, etc, but anyway. I&#39;m under the impression you were asking about bolt throwers and cannons with respect to going through ethereal ranks?

Possibly not, sorry if got that wrong. My impression is that ethereals swarms don&#39;t have ranks and that like other swarms (like bats) a missile weapon like that will do one to three wounds of damage. It&#39;s one of those slightly unrealistic ones where a cannonball scything through a group of bats could theoretically only do one wound, but it goes make gameplay a lot easier.

Obviously if you have the swarms behind each other then they will hit both.

Re. ethereal horses, etc - I didn&#39;t realise that, you sure? It raises the very entertaining possibility of giving a Necrarch Lord a zombie dragon then the cloak of mist and shadows (think that&#39;s the one), that makes him ethereal.
    Perhaps there&#39;s a size limit re. the mount turning ethereal too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The cloak can only be used on foot. I think.
    How victory may be produced for them out of the enemy&#39;s
    own tactics--that is what the multitude cannot comprehend.

-Sun Tzu

&quot;Quantity has a Quality of it&#39;s own&quot;

-Josef Stalin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1. You can only take the cloak on foot
    2. You cant attack things that arent ethereal while wearing the cloak. THis means the dragon would be rather useless as a fighting machine..

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast