Rank width - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rank width

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rank width

How many rank width do you use. Some friends playing VC use 6 others always 5 on everything. I was wondering if there are situations that require more width in ranks. Or any other tatical advantages do you people use if you do make them more wider.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    54 (x1)

I would say always go 5 wide, since vampires tend to win with combat rez over anything else, even Grave Guard should go five, as one extra attack from them, even if they are hitting and wounding on a 2+ with a certain combo of items, won't go a long way.

The only one you might want to consider is ghouls, and this is only because they have 2 attacks each, but i still think it's a bit risky. To me the only units which should go 6 wide are units like saurus warriors with spears, because of the massive amounts of attacks, and chaos warriors, since they are very expensive, and they need kills over static rez to win combats. So if your units have high number of high strength attacks, and are to costly to get at least 20 in a unit for full ranks then you should go with smaller units of 12-18 in ranks of 6 wide.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    120 (x4)

Grave guard with great weapons 7 wide because they got most combat res by usually killing 5 guys or so. Ghouls 7 wide too to get loads of attacks. Skeletons can't kill really so you'd have 5 wide same for graveguard with hand weapon and shield.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

depends on the unit:

cav - 5 wide
    skellies - 5 wide
    ghouls 6 wide
    zombies - 5 wide for big tarpit... longer if you're looking to tie up a line....
    Grave guard - HW&S - 5 wide, great weapons - I run 6 (compromise between ranks and killyness)

Benevolent Dictator CaptainSarathai's Avatar
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1480 (x8)

I tend to run Skeletons and Zombies at just 5 wide. They're horrible in combat, and making them narrow might actually save me from an attack or two from bigger enemy regiments.

Grave Guard I tend to run 6 wide, with characters. 7 would be a big unit- just to get +2 ranks you would need 21 models!

Ghouls are certainly a 6-7 regiment with their higher number of attacks.

With knights, I try for 6 if I have the points. That's about the most you can rely on getting into BB with the enemy, and the extra attacks help in these tiny regiments.
    Pts Values for AoS here!

Nippon Armybook: Isuu, Scribd, and free at Google Docs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

it seems that I am the only one who makes my skeletonranks only 4 wide...
    i prefer this because of their poor combat skills, so an easy +3 rank bonus to combat res is much better...
    pls comment if I'm wrong.

cheers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    120 (x4)

I don't think 21 models in a graveguard unit is too much, I think if its a combat unit rather than a bunker then 7 wide is great and 6 for cavalry (as all will be in contact with a 5 wide enemy infantry unit) unless you're a massive horde army and/or you need the space to manouver.

Benevolent Dictator CaptainSarathai's Avatar
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1480 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by El Loco View Post
    it seems that I am the only one who makes my skeletonranks only 4 wide...
    i prefer this because of their poor combat skills, so an easy +3 rank bonus to combat res is much better...
    pls comment if I'm wrong.

cheers

Unless you're using the previous edition's rulebook, your ranks need to be at least 5 models wide in order to gain the rank bonus.

In the former edition, you could go with ranks of 4. That's why many of our regiments are 16 models, or 8 cavalry models- they haven't updated the boxes yet.
    Pts Values for AoS here!

Nippon Armybook: Isuu, Scribd, and free at Google Docs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainSarathai View Post

Unless you're using the previous edition's rulebook, your ranks need to be at least 5 models wide in order to gain the rank bonus.

In the former edition, you could go with ranks of 4. That's why many of our regiments are 16 models, or 8 cavalry models- they haven't updated the boxes yet.
    DAMN, Didn't know that. Well thanks for the heads up. I'll make sure I won't make the same mistake again :-)!

cheers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

typically i go with only 5 wide for all of my infantry units. except in rare cases i will go 10 wide with skeletons. the reason i do this is because sometimes i take 88 point skeleton units with just a champion because the rules state that if a unit hits another unit and the only model in contact is the champion then that is the only model that can be killed so no matter what that unit is gonna hold up the enemy unit for at least 2 turns so it is a very cheap and cheesy way to hold up an enemy unit by letting them hit you in the flank of the 10 wide unit of skeletons, it works best on frenzied units. but like i said that is a very rare circumstance and i only do it if somebody is being a jerk, or trying to be cheesy themselves

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast