Zombie Dragon - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Zombie Dragon

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Zombie Dragon

My HE friend has gotten into using his Star Dragon and it's a real terror (pun intended) against my poor undead. Therefore, I was thinking of breaking out the zombie dragon. Only problem is the lack of a model. I may convert my own and need to know what base size I should use.

OR

What are some good tactics against such huge, brutal monsters? He runs Prince on star dragon with Armour of Caledor, Vambraces of Defense and The Amulet of Light. Prince sits up top, not taking hits due to a rerollable 2+ armor save and 4+ ward save, and lets the dragon do all the killing.

Footnote: This is the model I'm thinking of converting for my zombie dragon: http://www.snotling.org/modules/Mini...onqueen/31.jpg

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    124 (x4)

I don't think you really need a dragon to counter his. The undead are some very reliable troops in that they never break, meaning you could hold out against his dragon with a single unit by re-summoning. A mix of advancing and casting Vanhels Dance via book/necro can catch his dragon off gaurd as well.

I find with monsters like that Zombies are always worth it as you spend very little points to hold out a really big beasty and no risk to your characters. Ethereal units also have their roles to play but against a first striking army I'd say I would put my Wraiths against those spearmen or small units of elite warriors instead of the dragon.

Another tactic that I do with my Dark Elves which any army can do is a simple large block of core infantry with a Banner Bearer w/ the Warbanner. This has helped me fend off a High Elf Dragon wih static resolution. (3 ranks, outnumber, banner, warbanner, standard bearer....you're immediately up 7 resolution). More fearsome with undead seeing that they can regenerate ranks. Remember, you can challenge his lord with a champion, he will still get the same number of resolution as he would of got but you don't loose additional troops, simply re-summon a new one when you can.

Lastly you could prep your lord out for a fight, mounted with the dreadlance and red fury is always a nasty combo. Again Vanhels could get you into combat by surprise.
    "Adapt to heaven and enjoy ease; oppose it and toil in vain. None can deduct from the reakoning, or force what is fated." - Three Kindoms, lesson of life.

My Showcase
    Witch Hunters Tactica [=Updating=]
    New Eldar Tactica

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh the fun you can have with black knights w/ RSoS and "unkillable" lord choices.
    Let me explain in detail:

1 or 2 units of 6 or 7 black knights will scare the hell out of his prince. Of course his dragon will be fine but when you've killed the prince,thats 1 problem gone. You dont even have to score a killing blow, even if you can get a wound through (a big if and killing blow is more likely to hurt him) hes gonna have to be alot more careful. Its his general for gods sake!

The ability to move through terrain freely will help. You stick your unit of black knights on the edge of a forest and suddenly, he can't fly in and hurt you.

The thought of you having van hels or BoA will scare him. If you can get that off and charge then look back to point 1 but point 2 will help you with this.

Hope I could help
    when a vampire bites you, its not out of love

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    47 (x1)

one ridiculous risk that sometimes works, probably not great against a star dragon, vamp lord w/ infinite hatred, beguile, red fury and frostblade. There are so many reasons why the star dragon would win unfortunately....
    Luckily you can just go magic heavy and tarpit it forever, I can't think of anything that would reasonably kill it
    Having you're general on a dragon is kinda difficult with you essentially losing if it dies, his dragon is way better and he has the advantage of maybe 2 bolt throwers to take out your mount. That said with the dreadlance and red fury on a dragon you could kill it easily enough, you'd just have to have enough magic to vanhel it
    Last edited by Akaroth; September 22nd, 2009 at 22:25.
    "Knights had no meaning in this game. This wasn't a game for knights."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Go in with axe of Krell? Dragon doesn't have a ward and the axe is quite nice, leaving the beastie with not much in the ways of and armor save. Though, the ASF prince is a problem...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    120 (x4)

You just need to vanhels a unit in, thats usually the most you can do, you really don't want to be charged in the rear (in fact, it lost me a recent game). I think zombie dragons are good though, perhaps not a way to counter, though I guess he'd not want to be charged by it, so you could use that to your strengthes if you did use one, dread lance/red fury would hurt the dragon on charge, but the dragon attacking back could possible kill your lord but on on average with ward save i think.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    55 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by Akaroth View Post
    one ridiculous risk that sometimes works, probably not great against a star dragon, vamp lord w/ infinite hatred, beguile, red fury and frostblade. There are so many reasons why the star dragon would win unfortunately....
    I double dare you to use that tactic, just so that if it does works it'll probably be the first time ever someone used the Frostblade to good effect.

It's actually got a half decent chance of working. Can't remember the Dragon stats exactly, but I'm guessing it'll be 4+/5+ to wound with 4 attacks, with re-rolling misses and a decent chance of re-rolling wounds too. Dragon has a 3+ scaly, modded down to 5+ for S5. You only need to cause one wound and it's dead and then you get 5 or 6 (how ever many wounds it has) attacks at the prince because of Red Fury, at 4+/3+ to wound with same re-roll. Looking at 3 wounds with his save of 4+/4+/4+, he's got a good chance of saving them all but again it only takes one wound and he's dead. Plus if you've killed the dragon and your mounted (or in a unit) then you'll be winning combat and outnumbering with a Fear causer so he then runs away.
    2000AD's answer to all "How do VC deal with ..." questions: Forbidden Lore + 2 Power Stones.
    Further answers will require more vodka.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    47 (x1)

I used it once just to annoy a friend who was in love with his carnosaur, killed it and his general in one turn . I personally would use that combo just cos the rolls give me goose pimples, and a vampire should consider everything its prey, but I couldn't advise anyone else to take it as the best course of action. But yeah, I just did a proxy roll for it, attacking the dragon first, and it killed it the 2nd try so.....

P.S. the dragon has SEVEN wounds, yay for frostblade
    Last edited by Akaroth; September 29th, 2009 at 16:30.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

frostblade vs ogres or other monster oriented armys is just sick, every wound on an ogre bulls unit give 3 extra attacks and kills a model outright, so if you hit and wound with everything then you get 12 extra attacks, with the possiblity of killing even a huge ogre unit in one go, the downside of the frostblade is no magical armor, i normally drop the beguile or the hatred for dread knight but that is just me a 2+ armor save is way better than naked vampire lord.

back to the topic if you really want to kill it the best way is to just charge it with a 3 ranks skeleton unit with a warbanner and a bsb and raise 5 zombies behind it, i am not positive but i am pretty sure that the elf dragon with prince isn't immune to psychology all you do is issue a challange with the champion and then the dragon prince loses automatically, and flees

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    47 (x1)

unfortunately, while you cause fear/terror yourself you are immune to it so a dragon won't auto-break while its alive, and thats if you manage to beat it, its not impossible for it to kill at least 6 troops by itself. Respect the dragon and kill it before it kills you.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast