Vampire "Alter Noble" - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    29 (x1)

Vampire "Alter Noble"

Hey all, I'm a Wood Elf player experimenting a bit with VC just so you get an idea of where I am coming from on this --

As some of you may know, one of the most popular and effective wood elf character archetypes is the Alter Noble -- a hero level character with the alter kindred, which gives the model M9 and +1A but forces the model to fight alone and on foot. Generally these models are used as fast, hard hitting support that has incredible charge range and 360 degree LOS.

I just noticed that it would be easy enough to create a vampire character that does much the same thing using the Talisman of Lycni. You can add some very interesting complementary abilities in there too, such as the Hunter in the Dark vampire power, which allows him to scout too -- scout + 18" charge range = potential first turn charge.

The Armor of Night or Wristbands of Black Gold both give you tremendous protection against shooting, although the ever popular flayed hauberk could be a good choice too. The Sword of Might or Sword of Battle could both be good choices too, allowing you to not bother with the Avatar of Death power, allowing the purchase of something more killy like Infinite Hatred. Other possibilities involve using Supernatural Horror to terrorbomb or Walking Death for combat res.

The main role for this type of character is support -- he marchblocks, harasses missile troops and war machines, and can threaten multiple units at once.

Have any of you tried anything like this before?

Recommended setups:

Magic Items:

1. Flayed Hauberk, Talisman of Lycni, Sword of Battle/Might (if you want to go after heavy troops like knights then might could be better, against light troops go for battle.)

2. Armor of Night, Talisman of Lycni, Sword of Battle/Might (this is if you need the Flayed Hauberk on a different character)

Vampire Powers:

1. Hunter in the Dark + Infinite Hatred - Harassement + Killing Power

2. Hunter in the Dark + Walking Death - Harassment + Support

3. Hunter in the Dark + Supernatural Horror - Harassment + Terror Bomb

4. Infinite Hatred + Walking Death - Best combat setup, but no 1st turn charge.

5. Supernatural Horror + Walking Death - Best support setup, but no 1st turn charge.

Thoughts?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nightshroud Armor + Ghoulkin + Infinite Hate + Lycni + Sword of Battle

1st turn charge if needed... Ghouls move 8", then vamp charges 18" = 26" charge range plus the safety of a unit to protect it.

Scouting requires LOS blocking terrain, so opponents will likely not move into/around the terrain so you can charge them more easily!

HOWEVER...

1st turn charge isn't really that important, usually you'll want to use this setup to ward off ASF action, so other VC can't spam carts and get away with it and you canstop High Elves in particular and those Pesky Dark Elf Assassins/ASF-Black Guard.

Nightshroud Armor + Walking Death + Infinite Hate + Lycni + Sword of Battle

Nasty armor penetating troops like White Lions who have only 1 attack each are perfect prey with WS 5 and only 5+ armor. You should be able to on average kill 3 White Lions each round of combat and slowly destroy them with 1 character. You can also manage to kill Black Guard with the same degree of success and even do an average of 2.5 wounds on Assassins. Of course you will want a BSB nearby in case you lose combat by 1 or 2 points of CR.

Alternatively this Vampire works just as well in a unit of skeletons. Light-medium troops can charge the unitand anyone wanting to wound the vampire will strike last and likely be slain before doing so. The enemy will just focus on killing expendable skellies and then the Vamp slices and dices. Now single character on mmonsters might want to charge your unit and you can issue a challenge with this character to force the enemy to lose all charging bonuses and get a quick round of fighting in possibly harming the mountor hero before other Vamps finish the job. He can be very helpful in a unit with the Drakenhoff BSB surviving harder combats much more easily!.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I regularly use the Vampire "Alter Noble". I have Infinite Hatred, Avatar of Death (Great weapon), Flayed Hauberk, and Talisman of the Lycni. I use him for support charges, war machine killing and march blocking. It's an incredibly powerful combination, and I pretty much never go without him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    29 (x1)

I just thought of another interesting dimension to this character: he's still a level 1 wizard. Given his 18" march on the first turn (or 26" if you start him in a unit of ghouls and someone in the army has ghoulkin) and the 12" range of raise dead, it's conceivable that your guy could actually start raising zombie swarms behind enemy lines on the first turn of the game. Popping a unit or two of zombies beind enemy war machines and missile units seems like a great way to distract, extend your marchblocking area, and disrupt enemy shooting.

EDIT: Of course, if you really want to emphasize this role you can give him Master of the Black Arts and the Sceptre De Noirot.

Benevolent Dictator CaptainSarathai's Avatar
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1480 (x8)

To be honest, it's not a build that I use often. I find that while Vampires are great, and even fairly tough, they are easy to kill because they lack armor or a bunch of wounds. Most of the time, my vampire slots are taken up by support-vampires who stay close to my army.

I have used the Ghoul-Slingshot in very low, or very high, point games. Sometimes I prefer to give him a skeletal steed though. It saves points from Powers or Items, and opens up the possibility to move through terrain. Just because he's not on foot, doesn't mean he can't still benefit from the free-ghoul-march.
    Pts Values for AoS here!

Nippon Armybook: Isuu, Scribd, and free at Google Docs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    29 (x1)

A fair point, certainly, although if I'm not mistaken single models on foot move as skirmishers and thus ignore penalties for difficult terrain. I'm also not sure how you give your vampire skeletal steeds as I don't see that option in the army book -- nightmares are still affected by terrain.

IMO, the main advantage of being on foot vs. being mounted is the 360 degree line of sight plus the -1 to hit penalty that enemies suffer when shooting at you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like the idea of a "alter noble" vampire.
    Forbidden Lore and the lore of beasts' "the bear's anger" spell is an intresting choice, maybe even more intresting on a Lord with the red fury, combined with the talisman of the lycani. Lore of beasts has other nice spells too, like the hunter's spear that could work nicely from a flank position.

+ Reply to Thread