Before I glue them together... - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Before I glue them together...

Before I glue them together. GG with great weapons or with shields? Why one over the other? Thanks in advance!

Burnanation's Recruitment Link
    Baby boys are like free bulldozer rental tickets. You have no idea what you're going to do with them but you know they are awesome!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Im in the process of painting armless GG for the same reason and ive come to this complection. I find I use them alot more with sword and shield as they make a great anvil unit as opposed to a 7 wide hammer/flank unit. For this reason im gonna change my mind and go with sword/shield, regardless of how cool great weapons look

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was thinking anvil too. Anyone else have some input?
    Burnanation's Recruitment Link
    Baby boys are like free bulldozer rental tickets. You have no idea what you're going to do with them but you know they are awesome!

Benevolent Dictator CaptainSarathai's Avatar
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1480 (x8)

Personally, I run mine with the Regen banner, and then give them WS7. That means that about half of the foes I come into contact with will hit me on 5's (4's at best) with a 5+ save following, and then a 4+ regen. The survivability and the fact that I usually VHD into a charge, rather than take it on the nose, has led me to go with Great Weapons.

I will say however that I am in the minority in my area, with most people really preferring the nasty 3+/4+ save combination within the same unit.

I'd say to try them out armless for a short while, and see what you like. Fortunately, they're plastic, so they aren't terribly pricey if you change your mind later.
    Pts Values for AoS here!

Nippon Armybook: Isuu, Scribd, and free at Google Docs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

CaptainSarathai's method is common. It makes for an EXTREMELY potent unit, if not a bit OP.

But yeah, great weapons are amazing, especially if you stick the regen banner in there.
    Roses are Red
    Violets are Blue
    If I'm Schizophrenic
    Then I am too!

Son of LO
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    298 (x7)

here's an idea: build half your models sword & board and the other half w/great weapons...

when playing a game, just make your front two ranks the weapon combo you're taking for that game! (ie: put the 10 sword & board up front when going for the anvil approch)

cheers!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i found myself with the same issue, mine currently have the sword/shield combo, but when i write my lists i always give them the great weapons. the great weapons are just so much better for taking down heavy armored units, especially if you use the drakenhof banner because you have less need for the 3/4+ AS. i always find that a raisable unit of skelies work just fine as an anvil if you keep their numbers up, leaving the grave guard ready to do the hammering. my 2 cents.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    54 (x1)

I have made all my grave guard models half and half. When i build a box 5 guys have shields, and 5 have great weapons, and when I play i just put the weapon combination I'm using for that game in the front ranks, which is pretty much always with shields. No one has complained or said anything about it yet, so you should be fine.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've got enough luckily to make half and half for any build I want. The only reason I've done this is because most tourneys require (or at least strongly recommend) that you have your units reflect what items they actually have so that your opponent can easily identify them and what they currently have. I personally prefer the GW look but I like the sword and board look for TK's. They just have cooler looking stuff IMHO. Either way, I do like the killing ability of GG with GW and the Regen banner. It pays itself off easily when coupled with the Helm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I might be starting up a VC army soon, has anyone tried putting shields on the back of GW GG's, what does it look like?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast