8th ed: how do feel it will affect your army? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Son of LO
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    298 (x7)

8th ed: how do feel it will affect your army?

greetings my fellow brothers & sisters of the night,

i'm curious to hear how everyone is planing to change their army list to conform within the new rummored comp system that 8th ed is bringing in?
    the lastest and most well supported rummors have the army comp as;
    25% characters, 25%+ core, 50% special, 25% rare
    - no more than 3 of the same special choice
    - no more than 2 of the same rare choice

for me personally, this system has just broken my army into the realms of un-playability...
    i play with a heavy lahmian theme, so there's no zombies, ghoulies, vargs or other really gross things! just skellies, wights, ghosties, dogs, bats, knights, coach & wriaths!

currently i've got 900pts worth of characters, since i need the support as the only other 'vampire' unit i typically run in games of 2250 or under is the coach.
    now though, i need to almost cut my character total in half, and add-on additional skeletons, (not so bad since i typically run 476pts worth of skellies!) plus i'll need to re-work how my magical support is going to function since i could very well not have enough of it...
    of corse, on the bright side of things, i get to convert more black knights & grave guard, and maybe get the spirit hosts onto the table!

still, considering that our army relies purely on character & magical support, my VC's are going to shift into the 'i play them for fun and never expect to really win a game' collum... (right alongside our tomb king cousins ironically!)

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm honestly not planning anything... yet. I will just wait and see what the book holds. Rumors are fun to hear and I expect most to be close to true, but until that time comes, I'm not going to worry about it. These proposed rumors will hurt a lot of hard hitting armies pretty bad too. Of course this places a large portion of your time with core units now. I feel for the elves, as they have to spend a lot for what is not very effective in my eyes. there is a reason why high elves are three deep spears unlike the rest. They need every possible chance because of their failure to do anything.

If the points limit on characters is such that it is, I really would hate that simply because I love the amount of options given to us to literally design any sort of character that we want for our army. Be it simply a combat beast, or a magic wielding uber caster. I'll miss that if it is true, but until then I'll just wait and see.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Spotify

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    115 (x5)

Quote Originally Posted by experiment 626 View Post
    my VC's are going to shift into the 'i play them for fun and never expect to really win a game' collum... (right alongside our tomb king cousins ironically!)
    First off, Tomb Kings aren't that bad at all! I expect to win alot of games when I play them.

The 8th ed changes will not affect my VC in a negative way, but rather the opposite. If VC gets more "balanced" and in more need of tactical superiority, then I will be more than happy!

//Nagash

Ask Nagash! Click on the banner...
    WiP TK Army!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not a Vampire player myself, but from what I've heard, VC looses nothing from the new % caps except close combat support power from the absence of vampires on their lines.

Now, you get from 2 to 12 PD + items, opposed to 1 to 6 DD + items, you choose your spells, you get the lvl of your caster as a casting bonus and you can use as many dices as you want with your caster... Maybe the changes will affect the fact that you can't have 4 vampires anymore, but when it comes to magic, you won't need as many Vamps as you used to, hell, a single Hero lvl 2 with the special gift would get +3 on nekek, with an average of 7 PD, and with these new magic rules, it isn't impossible to see less magic defense, instead of being what, 12-14 PD against 6-8 DD + scrolls.

You now officially get one of the best cavalry of the whole game. Which heavy cav isn't at least save 2+ ? You can still march if you don't take bardings, and already move through cover... you have one of the best spearhead avaliable.

So much for the autobreaking you lost, you can still regen and old your own against most infantry units. Yes, basic troopers are still better than yours in many ways, but they are still basic troopers, which mean they suck ! DOn't expect a lot of 40+ special blocks because they are way too expensive... so think about it, can 50 zombies hold their own against spear men ? Yes. Can they old their own against 20 Chaos Warriors ? With the new speculated rules, yes.

I ain't got more time, but from my point of view, this new edition looks awesome !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was thinking along the lines above. Also there is a new rumor that it's 25% lords and 25% heroes with the current slots still imposed. Even without that though, I now see it as being very easy to do all your invo spamming with one lvl 4 lord. Invest most of your character points into him and he is casting invo on +4 or 5 and has your entire pool to cast from. He can do the role of 3 characters as one now.

I personally have a VC army in the works but now after these rumors it's getting put on hold for a long time. I need to re-work a lot but honestly, I think VC will still be very competitive. The biggest issue is that almost everyone is going to have to change their list to accomodate for this and stay competitive. Luckily I haven't finished yet so I dont have to buy new things after I just bought stuff. I'm going to wait until after Brets and TK are released (I want to start up these 2 armies) to get back to work on my counts, by then I should have a good understanding of the edition and how undead will work in it.

Prediction wise, I think that skellies are going to become very popular. They might see a FAQ reducing their points cost which would make me take a quantity over quality approach. I'm looking at large blocks of heavily armoured GG and skellies that will take anything coming at them on the nose. They don't deal much damage back with low int. and low A but they can sure take it. Then I'll have tons of knights as a hammer. I think I could even have a new theme. Originally I was looking at a Sylvanian army from the north with lots of wights and a frozen theme. Now I'm thinking I could go with a Baron who killed and raised back his whole barony. So kind of like a mock Empire army almost. I'll have 1-2 vamps and a necro maybe (depending on whether its 25% for both or for each heroes and lords) but I think I'm going to try and look towards my units to do the killing now, not the vamps. This means Blood Knights and Black Knights a plenty and losing the attitude that I'm going to wipe my opponent out. Points denial is the name of the game now I think.

+ Reply to Thread