Using Black Knights - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Using Black Knights

Although I have yet to personally read the new rulebook, I am aware that cavalry no longer negate ranks unless they have a rank of their own. I just wanted to ask this:

Is it still worth it to take a small unit of Black Knights (five) with a cheap Wight Lord (barded mount, sword of kings) or should I make the unit number ten? In either case, what is the best banner, if any, to use and is a musician required (I've heard they are even better now)?

Thanks in advance for any responses.

Remember, fight like an ork, but never dance like one. Unless thats your thing.
    The Immortal Sons of Change (VC): 3-1-1

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I believe that in the new edition the ranks are counted after the battle is resolved, so therefore, even if you are hitting in the flanks, expect some attacks back. Therefore my suggestion would be 12-15 for a rank negating unit, especially if the enemy has anything shooty, but that is a hefty point investment though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well I am not overly concerned about that. Is a smaller number fine if I just want a hard hitting unit?
    Remember, fight like an ork, but never dance like one. Unless thats your thing.
    The Immortal Sons of Change (VC): 3-1-1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

At 1 attack each, a single rank of 5 Black Knights won't be that hard hitting. 10 may be better but for the same price you could get a decent unit of 5 Blood Knights who will still have more attacks and better stats.

The Dvl in Pale Moonlight danceman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    121 (x3)

Poor initiative value = the doom of small cavalry units. I'd recommend 12-14 + Wight King. You will need to be able to soak up shooting, magic as well as combat. However, due to how movements work and how much easier VDM got to cast you probably could land a flank charge or two without too much trouble(especially players who opt for bigger units). Remember, in the flank or rear your opponent only fight in a single rank and there is no 'step up.

I really think it is "go big or not at all" with our Black Knights for the reasons above.

A smaller unit might be able to watch the flanks more effectively but in contrast with bigger and fewer units I think we'll see a decrease in disruptive units(partly due to marching being LD-test based now making it hard to march block at all).
    ""What's the matter? Don't ya like clowns? Don't we make ya laugh?" - Captain Spaulding.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    150 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Regnal View Post
    At 1 attack each, a single rank of 5 Black Knights won't be that hard hitting. 10 may be better but for the same price you could get a decent unit of 5 Blood Knights who will still have more attacks and better stats.
    Their purpose is different. Wights have ethereal movement, giving them a much better mobility. They are also have to bring 2 knights per blood knight (and still have spare change), so they can disrupt ranks. Being allowed to do supporting attacks, 10 knights are a good value, they can still dish out 11 KB attacks on the charge. They also count towards your special, rather than the highly competitive rare allowance for VC.

They have more bodies too.
    Last edited by Wolf_Pack; July 16th, 2010 at 20:43.
    Best Regards,
    Wolf_Pack

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    47 (x1)

even a unit of 5 knights will have its uses; enemy cavalry seems like a good unit to aim for with KB. If you used to have 2 units of 5, definitely combine them. It's like I read somewhere though, now its a kinda rock-paper-scissors game; infantry beats cavalry, cavalry beats monstrous infantry, monstrous infantry beats infantry. With the steadfast rule cavalry loose most of their effect against infantry.
    "Knights had no meaning in this game. This wasn't a game for knights."

+ Reply to Thread