Vampires in the 8th (WIN) - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Vampires in the 8th (WIN)

There was a lot of worry before 8th edition came out. I am sure there was a lot of us that thought we were going from tippity-top to biggity-bottom, and with all the juiced up new rules for shooting, war machines, new functions of BSBs, and a whole slue of perks that us undead don’t get the benefit of (or at least in most cases), I am sure it was easy to believe the hype. I just wanted to take a moment and talk about what is in our favor in this new edition.
    My example is from last night. My good buddy pulled a dirty trick and shot the purple sun 30” across my battle line at the bottom of turn two. Needless to say it took out a good chunk of my troops, and I was pissed, but that’s what I get for running his dragon ogres around with some carefully placed zombies (so he says). My deliverance from such a devastating blow came from my lvl4 vamp who was able to cast ‘summon undead horde’ (with such ease I might add, lvl4 + skull staff) to bring my army back from the brink of disaster.
    The point that I was able to bring back so many of my casualties really showed me that vamps never lost their touch, especially when I think about what it could have been like had my dwarves been on the receiving end.
    So, what has 8th edition taught you about your vamps? What has got you saying “f*ck yea vampires!”?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree whole-heartedly, i was thinking id be playing for the aesthetics and losing every game after hearing all the hype, but so far ive yet to be beaten in 8th ed after 6 games(of which i have won all 6 too ), i think the magic is far better now(as is the whole system, loving 8th so far) and the fact that invo is crap on one dice is massively offset by the fact that undead horde is so easy to cast on multiple dice.
    Also a shout out to curse of years, amazing spell in 8th and ive not even had a chance to cast it on a horde yet(my friend hasnt used one yet)

So yeah, ive not found the new rules to be detrimental to vc at all, theyve been improved all round to make a much more entertaining game thats still fair.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As much as I bashed the one die casting of invocation...the fact that almost all of our heroes or lords are casters, with the exception of Konrad (if using special characters), and Wight Kings (which are very good in a more combat oriented army), and this fact greatly increases our abilities in the magic phase and allows us to let a caster burn his spell usage without fear of crippling a magic phase.

In 7th, I would have never dreamed of putting Invocation of Nehek as my necromancer spell...now it is normally my spell of choice for the necro, because if he 1 die casts invocation and fails it's no great loss. The other beauty of 1 die invocations is that there is no chance to miscast. This sounds silly, but with as expensive and necessary our heroes and lords are, a miscast can just out and out lose us the game, so why take unnecessary risks.

There are still better casters than the Vampire Counts (Slann, Dark Elf Sorceror etc.) but in my opinion no army is better suited for a successful magic phase than the Vampire Counts, lots of casters, so many chances for channelling...lots of magic options, Forbidden Lore possible on many heroes, which makes us unpredictable and versatile...Master of the Black Arts, this is just deadly in the new rules as we are almost always at least 2 PD higher than any other army in PD vs. DD differenial (4 if you manage to take it twice).

All in all, I was worried at first and now I think I actually like Vampire Counts more than ever, as we are competitive still, but simply more fun to play. And with attrition being sooo very high now, I get to watch as opponents try to figure out whether they should burn that dispel scroll on the Invocation of Nehek that targeted the Grave Guard unit with great weapons, because they know they can't survive another round of Banner of the Barrows, WS 7, S 6 attacks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I havent lost a 1v1 either, but 2v2's im 3-2. Its hard to run a vamp army when using an allie, especially if you have to split the magic dice O.o. I have found our lore is redic in new rules, easy to cast and you ONLY throw 1 dice at ION. I posted reply on other thread explaining your questions towards me. But to sum it up, cats ION with my necs, 1 fails oh well no big deal. Undead arnt worth heavy ION with loss of fear.
    Good Luck and have fun!

8th Ed WOOT

+ Reply to Thread