Welcome to Librarium Online!
Very shy on rules, just started to get into the game. I am however a 40k vet and I've been toying with the idea for years. I do play with my friends but my friend do play competitively. I know so far what I want is:
Vampire lord caster in a bunker of skeletons
Ghouls, a lot of em
Grave guard, a lot of em
and a Wight King bsb
I found some equipment people would recommend but I'm still not quite sure how to run this army, if it's an all out blitz or what. I find fantasy to seem a tad bit more tactical so advise on what type of equipment I should run and what I should be doing with my army would be great. Also I saw that the Vampire Lord should be using a Earthen Rod among other things, but I've yet to find it in the codex. I guess in general what I'm looking for is what type of stuff do I need to be competitive and how should I run the army.
Earthing Rod can be found in the main Warhammer rule book, in the reference section under Arcane Items.
As for other stuff, I don't play VC so I don't know, but my friend who does play VC likes the Blooddrinker, whatever that maybe.
May the Dragon of Unhappiness never fly up your bottom.
found it thanks, I was told it was a must have for caster vamps pretty much. I was told that vampire counts may be a hard army to start out fantasy with but I sure do like the look/lore of them so I'm going to go for it.
The good news is we could be getting our 8th ed book treatment in January!
Considering there's some decent rummors & rumblings from the known rummor-mongers means I would advise against going out and splurging on 40-60+ ghouls!
Things we can expect in a new book would be;
- pts re-ajustments across the board. For example, our skeletons will likely become very similar in cost and maybe even stats to the tomb king versions. Basically we'll have more than just 1 very boring way to play our army, and the current 'Big 2' could very well get a slight nerf and/or re-working. (ie; ghouls might possibly go back to being skirmishers like in previous editions...)
- zombies getting re-worked so they're an actual, viable tarpit!
- magic being tweeked, we'll get spells which scale with bigger casting values & impact, plus a lore atribute & signature spell
- new units, so far there's solid rummors of flesh golums/zombie ogre-type thingies, the terrorghiest could get a slight re-work too, plus who knows what else!
So basically, for now, I'd just hold back a wee bit and maybe only look for about 1000-1250pts and don't go and add 80 or so of 1 unit because things are about to change!
if fine combed the internet incase there was a vc update becouse ive just started them i just spent £120 im useing mantic zombies for my ghouls so i got like 80 of em they look tremendouse so i would use them if new models come out or not and if zombies get a bump ill use them as zombies i already had brets so i made 5 of them into blood knights and men at arms for grave guard infact now that i think of it i dont own any vc models just brets aow and mantic lol and baseing stuff like dead grass and so on and i bought army painter kit money well spent apart from the codex and thats IF it gets redone.
Do tell were abouts you came across this vc update info becouse every one else seems to think its brets which imo they need it more.
Rumour mill has it being either Empire, Brets and/or vampires next year. Came across it from a friend who was jumping in joy at the idea of my hack-star being nerfed. Nothing solid, so personally I'm taking it with salt.
empire are over powerd so if they got redone they would be nerfd or the last time i checked they were i dont no about empire 8th rules
The only thing really even remoetly unbalanced about them right now are spamable warrior priests adding dispel dice to reliably shut down magic phases. (and really, it's only unbalancing vs us & tomb kings because we're so relyant on magic)
OP armies would be;
- Warriors of Chaos. (GW marauders are too cheap, chosenstar is ungodly, puppet needs to go, MoT needs to change)
- Skaven. (but then, they've always been the posterchild for 'cheese' in warhammer!)
- Dark Elves with their unkillable & stubborn Ld10 flying dreadlord, dagger, overly cheap hydras, lore of shadow & being able to use more than 6 dice per spell
- VC gravestar & ghoulspam. So bloody boring!!! litterly, push crap forwards & roll dice. rinse and repeat untill you want to go kill a small animal out of sheer fustration!
- High Elves Teclis w/banner of the world dragon PG bunker. complete with enough characters to keep the BSB & teclis in the 2nd rank so you can't get to them. Hope you brought the other trickster's shard...
- Lizardmen 6-dicing dwellers and using cupped hands.
- Anyone using pit of shades or purple sun against an I2 army!
Most armies can be broken. Some are of corse better at it than others though!
As for the current VC rummors, check out the rummor thread here in the News & Rummors section, plus warseer's rummor mill...