Welcome to Librarium Online!
So, now that it's pretty much been confirmed via the usual rummor mongers that VC's are coming out in January, what 8-10 magic items would we like to see in our shiny new book?
Me, I'm hoping we keep;
- Blood Drinker - very important, almost a requirement actually, for any fighty lord. Considering how grievous the loss of our vamps are to us, I'm really hoping we keep this one!
- Sword of Kings - so iconic on our wight king!
- Cursed Book - pts hike and go back to the 5th/6th ed version of this item. (basically it gave a -1 to-hit modifyer for all 'living' enemies within a short range)
- Book of Arkhan - because we stole one fair and square!!! (and it's been around litterly forever!)
- Staff of Damnation
- Cadaverous Cuirass - again, a vital item to keep our army general alive, especially if you want to entertain the idea of a fighty lord.
- Blood Keep Banner - we have no shooting of our own to protect us, so this at least gives decent protection to a vital hammer unit.
- Barrow banner - again, it's been a staple for years and it's a tax that makes wights into the 'elites' they're supposed to be!
Of corse, we go the way of the OnG's and get 1 good item and 7 piles of over-costed crap... (hopefully GW have learned their lesson that having 6-7 'lord/bsb only' items is a bad thing!)
I think I'd keep:
Sword of Kings - because it's just too flavourful.
Blood Drinker - for the same reason.
Flayed Hauberk - Vampires really need that extra magic armour.
Black Periapt - I know it's not going to happen, but I consider this one to be a staple, so I can still hope.
Drakenhof Banner - It's totally overpowered, but I think that at 125 points that's more Grave Guard's fault than the item itself.
Crown of the Damned - Vampires really need that extra ward save
Skull Staff - One of the more worthwhile lord only magic items.
Royal Standard of Strigos - This is (aside from the banner of barrows which I think should be locked in a vault and never let out) my favorite banner.
Overall, I think I'd like to see a few of the cheap items stick around like the Hauberk and the Periapt, but they're probably just going to retool the Drakenhof Banner and the Von Carstein Ring. I'm sure it'll be fun either way.
Things like the flayed hauberk & crown of durp will get dumped because they already exist in the rulebook... The problem with protecting our vamps needs to be address in the list itself, ie: 20pts for heavy armour and shield is f^$#*!g stupid-dumb!!! If we could get the armour/shield for the same rate that every other damn character pays, we wouldn't have a problem. But why would we pay 3-4x the cost everyone else pays when we can get it for only 5-10pts more with added bonuses?!
Now, here's my 'worst case senario' for our items, which over course I hope WILL NOT! happen to us;
- Frostblade = 100pts. stays utterly useless.
why? because you won't get anything else that's actually usefull like say, a ward save on what's very likely your general!
- Black Axe of Krell = 50pts. stays utterly useless.
why? because wight kings have better items to pick from like the 'other tricksters shard', while vamps would give-up their insanely high initiative to strike last. (and the other tricksters shard exists which is better than D3 wounds)
- Rod of Flaming Death = 50-65pts. stays mostly useless.
why? because if we really want a fireball spell, the ruby ring of ruin exists. 2x the cost for panic check? umm... we're in 8th - since when do units now fail their Ld checks?!
- Hand of Dust = 65-85pts. becomes pretty much useless.
why? again, 'lord only' item which would likely mean you have a front-line vampire with a crap ward save... a losing combo if ever there was one!
however, at say 65pts, if it's effect remains the same or become a character/monster sniping ability, it could see use in larger games where you can afford 2 lord options...
- Armour of +T/-WS & I = 50pts. most useless item possible!
why? lord only choice and everything always wounds on a 6 anyways?
- Carstien Ring = 100pts. pretty useless item.
why? since when does it see use even now?! outside of the 'remove from play' spells/miscast result, it's dumb to buy an item that relies on getting killed! oh, and it can fail too... why not try something really novel like perhaps 'not dying' in the first place!
- Drakenhoff Banner = 150 pts. never see again item.
why? because it's laughable that GW will let us keep the regen effect, or at least keep it as 'regen 4+' (could see it go regen 5+ honestly)
- Doom Banner = 75-85pts. worthless item.
why? well, it used to be -1Ld to enemies with a short range. but fear sucks now, BSB's + general fix psychology problems, and at this price it would be a 'BSB only' item.
Yep, if our items turn into a list like that, I'll cry... Please, don't let us get "orc & gobbo'd"!!!
Well, 3 items have apparently all ready been spotted. Banner of the barrows, the flag of blood keep and screaming banner...
So that leaves 5 items....
But I think we'll get between 10 and 14 items in total, not 8...
I've heard two things. 1, Blood Drinker is Vlad's item, as it was before, so it probably won't be in our magic item "vault", despite the same situation in the current book. Also, I've heard the Banner of the Barrows is gone as well, so we may not be relying on that. Why would we get more items than anyone else? I mean, we've stocked up several things in the dungeons of our castles, but so have everyone else. I see the Bloody Hauberk coming back, assuming Walach isn't a special character. Also, the Sword of Kings should stay, since Krell's got his axe back.
Pursued Guard Regiment Fluff WIP - http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...ial-fluff.html
- Blood Drinker goes specifically to Vlad
- Black Axe is Krell's again (yippie! it can't gimp our main item pool!!!)
- Flag of Blood Keep same as before & blood knights can carry it.
- Barrows Banner was reportidly seen in one of the sample army lists
- Screaming Banner was reportidly seen on a unit of Skeletons!!!O.O (this could be a really good thing, and perhaps even a staple?!!)
Plus, keep in mind that those smelly fat boys got 10-12 items in their book, so it's not unreasunable that we might see the same number being how closely tied to our characters & magic as we are. (ie: O&G's don't all go 'poof' when their general dies and their core isn't utterly dependant on characters to actually kill stuff!)
Poor Tomb Kings though... I think they're really going to feel that GW gave them short end of the Cruddstick.