10,000 points of Vampire Counts?!?! - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

10,000 points of Vampire Counts?!?!

Thats right folks, I'm planning a 10,000 point vampire army to face my friend's 10,000 points of orcs and goblins. I'm running into several problems though.

Let us examine a normal 2500 point game. The main killing power comes from our characters and rare choices, and we're always begging for more points in both places. With characters, I think i'll be set. Between multiple lords/thralls and several of the new wraith characters i think i will be fine there. the problem is the rare choices.

When the battle gets scaled up super big like this, we finally have the points we want in rares. But I can still only use up to 4 of each rare choice, so i'm finding that even when i max everything i like to use out, I still have points left over (unless i just sink it all into blood knights, but i'm not exactly a fan of them). Normally a good thing, but since our special is kinda crap, i'm left with not but these rares and an army of 800+ ghouls/skeletons. Scary in its own right, sure, but i'd rather put the points to better use elsewhere. plus you have to consider that his units are cheaper than mine. I'll likely be out numbered at least 2:1. Orcs cost less than ghouls/skeletons, and goblins are less than half cost. Sure 800 ghouls sounds scary, but i'd sooner place my bets on 2100 goblins.

What I'd like from the good ol' LO community is some ideas of what you would do with 10,000 points at your disposal. I've got a few ideas in mind, but they aren't going to take up all the points availiable. So please, throw some ideas out here of what you would do with so many points. I dont want an entire army list, but rather think of a build you've wanted to do but didnt have the points. Block of 40 blood knights? 5x hordes of 40 Grave Guard? I'm just trying to get some more ideas. List must be built by 5th, so hopefully you guys can throw some ideas at me before then.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Son of LO
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    298 (x7)

Quote Originally Posted by Finchht09 View Post
    ...I'm just trying to get some more ideas. List must be built by 5th, so hopefully you guys can throw some ideas at me before then.
    Now that's just cruel! Playing a big fun game like this just before our new book come out and we get some sweet new units and lots of much needed polishing!

Anways, with 10k pts, why not bring in say 25% allies?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well the idea is to get in a big game right before the rules change. One last game with these vampires, before they change and magic/items get nerfed. May very well be the last game i can play with certain items, or with vampire magic as we know it.

And what exactly do you mean by "allies" ? I can't bring in a separate race/army to supplement if that's what you're suggesting. Not a storm of magic game, just straight up 10k point battle. 10k undead vs 10k green tide.

Son of LO
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    298 (x7)

well the idea is to get in a big game right before the rules change. One last game with these vampires, before they change and magic/items get nerfed. May very well be the last game i can play with certain items, or with vampire magic as we know it.
    Well, we're rumored to be keeping the Screaming Banner & Flag of Blood Keep at least?!

And what exactly do you mean by "allies" ? I can't bring in a separate race/army to supplement if that's what you're suggesting. Not a storm of magic game, just straight up 10k point battle. 10k undead vs 10k green tide.
    I was thinking the allies rules in the BRB - imagine a 10k 'Grand Army of Slyvania' led by Vlad and including not only the other named Von Carstiens, but also the provincial troops & militias?!

Otherwise I'd look at it by doing 'mini armies' and go for a 'Grand Alliance of the Bloodlines' basically designing the list around;
    - The Lahmians and their skeletal, spectral & wight attendants
    - The Blood Dragons containing all the mounted elements
    - A Necrarck Lord on his zombie dragon, leading the shambling hordes of zombies & corpse carts
    - The ghoulish Strigos alongside a bunch of vargulfs
    - Von Carstiens bringing all the wolves & bats alongside their undead slyvanian troops

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The only rule we put on there was no special characters, so I can't quite do what you've suggested completely.

However, i do like the idea of "mini-armies" instead of one giant one. Whether they're each a separate blood line or not, i like the idea of each one operating as its own functional army. Only problem is that each one won't have its own general.

I also really like the idea of doing the strict separation of bloodlines. that sounds like it would be really cool.

I don't know about the zombie dragon though. With this many points I've definitely tossed the idea around. But Goblins have access to stone throwers, so it wouldn't last long. and with 10k points, the likely hood of large units goes up, so you know he's going to max those suckers out. Lucky for me they're rare choices, so i only have to deal with 4 of them.

I'm really iffy about corpse carts. On the one hand, they're not that great and get killed easily. On the other hand, a handful of balefire carts could put all his casting at -6. I'm expecting at least one or two giant spider things, and since they give a channeling bonus to nearby wizards, i don't think it would be too difficult to net most of his wizards in the 24" radius. Having him at -6 to cast would be amazing....

And zombies.... well... as discussed all over this forum, zombies are NOT worth the points. I might raise some if the oppertunity presents itself, but i will not pay points for them. So I guess that means the whole Necrarck side is out. I do have to say, though, that the idea of like 10 lore of beast vampires and 2000 zombies did cross my mind. Helm of commandment on the large block of zombies, with all the vamps in small skeleton/ghoul bunkers behind it casting multiple wildforms on the zombies. 2000 models all with WS 7, S/T 8+ would be amazing. Oh, and a few carts to semi-guarantee ASF. Would be amazing, but not much fun to play with i dont think. March forward, brace for impact. March forward, brace for impact. engage, hope to get off magic...

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

try and get some pictures/videos to this game posted

+ Reply to Thread