Vargheist and Crypt Horrors - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Acting XO of Tanith 1st MadLarkin's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    192 (x4)

Vargheist and Crypt Horrors

Who's tried them so far? I can't see myself using them anytime soon as I really like some other units because of theme (grave guard, black knights and blood knights, every now and then a black coach) but they look pretty sweet both models and rules wise.

What have y'all noticed about the Vargheist? What's the best use for them and how big of a unit should they go? Just from the looking at their rules I'd probably try them in a group of 4, 2x2.

Since the Crypt Horrors are cheaper and more resilient I'm more tempted to go with a unit of 6, at 3x2 as they still dish out a decent amount of damage and can take a lot.

What roles do you think these new monstrous infantry units we have take?

Most Notable Achievements:
    Killed a Revenant Titan in one shot.
    Killed 900 pts worth of Blood Angels in 2 turns while only loosing 4 pts.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    38 (x2)

Vargheists look briliant to me - they are vampiric so can make full movement without needing the general and you can sneak them around the terrain behind the enemy (40 inch movement within two turns ought to do it) then either beat up warmachines or threaten rear charges. 6 of them can output a mighty 24 s5 attacks (thanks to being monstrous and getting full supporting attacks) plus 6 s5 stomps - all for less then 300 points, I would say that is a pretty damn scary prospect to be facing in the rear.
    Their only real weakness is that they have no armour, are only t4 and cannot be healed as easily as other units, and their low leadership and frenzy will make them vulnerable to being baited away from the action.

Crypt horrors seem more defense orientated, but since the core units are there to soak up damage I dont see as much use for them other then as a nice cheap flanking unit to support a main block in a prolonged combat.

Out of the two I would expect to see many more vargheists in armies.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

795 (x8)

I think the Vargheists will be very good for hitting a flank. They are Vampiric so can move quickly and will be useful as most enemies are used to undead being very slow. They are also very powerful, with frenzy. With a Vampire using the unholy flight power they will be very good. The Vampire can hide near the unit or join it depending on how flexible you want him to be. A Vargulf will make a good backup too. I'm going to field a unit of six for the rank and because monstrous infantry can use three supporting attacks each.

+ Reply to Thread