new VC nastyness - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    60 (x2)

new VC nastyness

hey guys im a dwarf player by trade and i have noticed the new vc has been relesed for a bit now but havent faced them yet. what are some of the nasty units you guys have? weaknesses? i know this is kind of unorthadox asking for the weaknesses of ur units but i feel i would do the same if anyone asked me about my stuff. the units i am looknig into mostly are.... blood knights, grave gaurd, vampire count characters, and any other nasty units i might have to look out for!!! thanks guys and grats on ur new book you guys needed it!!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    107 (x4)

Watch out for zombies, these guys will destroy anything they face. quite possibly the hardest most brutal unit in the game. If your opponent has zombies, i would try to save face and give in straight away...lols.

Your biggest problem in currect eddition is we are not going to crumble just becuase you have landed a stone grudge shot on my lords head in the first thing you do in turn 1 anymore. There will be 1 round of crumbling and then as long as there is another character (i think has to be a caster but could be a white king aswell), then they take over as the general.

Arguably slower than before with block units as you can conly march within 12" of the general only, so no vamp spam to force march troops. It means your also more likely to see cheaper necromancers doing all the casting whislt vampires will be tooled for combat and Ld debuf abilities.

If your going to kill much of anything from shooting make sure to concentrate on one unit at a time with everything. Invocation now raises MORE models back per uint than before, but also works on multiple units at the same time within 6" of the caster. If you start trying to weaken all the units at once you will find they soon return to starting size. The lore atribute also heals a wound to a character with a 6 or 12" every time a spell is cast aswell so characters can easily top up wounds, and any time a vampire causes one or more wounds in combat it rolls 1 die, on the roll of a 6 it regains a wound, so if your going to kill them, make sure you do it in one round or risk him becoming fully healed again.

Ghouls are expensive now so dont expect to see more than one unit of them on a flank. Skeletons will make up the bulk of nearly all forces which means easier to kill, but at the same time there will be more of them.

One thing to watch for is the flying monsterous infantry as they have 4 attacks each at WS4 S5 hitting you first, so these guys will be going round flanks (fly marching with the vampire rule,) and eating away your war machines and ranged units if not piling into the sides of your blocks when engaged.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by saltrock36 View Post
    Watch out for zombies, these guys will destroy anything they face. quite possibly the hardest most brutal unit in the game. If your opponent has zombies, i would try to save face and give in straight away...lols.

Your biggest problem in currect eddition is we are not going to crumble just becuase you have landed a stone grudge shot on my lords head in the first thing you do in turn 1 anymore. There will be 1 round of crumbling and then as long as there is another character (i think has to be a caster but could be a white king aswell), then they take over as the general.
    Hahahahaha yes stay away from zombies. Crumbling stops if there is another wizard using th lore of vampires only. But that is good advice, watch out for vargheists, they can hit very hard. Also you should always be wary of any ethereal units or characters he may have and deal with them accordingly.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

60 (x2)

how good are grave guard? and also zombies? didnt they used to be a fodder unit how scary are they now?

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

107 (x4)

The thing with all our infantry is... they are not good. Even our elite GG are lacking in ability, but this is where VC are different to most armies, you need to buff our unit, and hex thier units with as much spam as possible to turn the combat tables in out favour. Lo Vampires has nice buffs for rerolling to hit, to wound, ASF with a corpse cart, and regen from a mortis engine. All are units need help and are otherwise poor units.

Grave guard to be of any use should be given a great weapon and Banner of Barrows. You will get +1 to hit meaning most times on anything other than WS7 your hitting on 3s and wounding on 2s. Once you get some LoV buffs to reroll to hit and wound this unit becomes realy good. Your Int of 3!!! aswell, which isn't bad for undead, means if you get a corpse carts ASF ability that sometimes against things like orcs dwarfs and ogres, you will be hitting first even with GWs.

Skeletons should be taken on mass, carrying the Screaming Banner, which means any fear tests taken by an enemy in base contact (think its base contact and not a range) are at -1. Combine this with the VAmpire bloodline power reducing Ld by a further 1 to all units in 6", and the bloodline power that negates the BSB reroll on fear checks or if your not in range makes you reroll sucsesful rolls, means its easier for your skeletons to be going up against low WS troops when they fail fear checks. Once again this unit gets better with more buffs.

One thing im trying to get into my list is a vampire with lore of shadow as the basic hex spells of this lore are great for what you need to do, reducing WS, M, or another trait by D3. There are other hexes from this lore which ork well like -D3 S,T, or somthing else i cant remember. The problem with this is only vamps can take Lore of Shadow and your lord has to take Lore of Vampires, So in games under 3k you cant expect to have a Vampire Lore with Lore of Shadow, and end up having to field a Hero Vampire with the Lore. This isnt too bad but you end up wanting to make him lvl2 and before you know it you have 200+ points on a vamp, which you would rather spend on some necormancers to keep your army ticking over.

Zombies are as they ever have been, meat sheidl tar pit. Admittedly you need bigger units as more attacks are flying about these days, but they are now S3, T3, meaning they arent a total push over unit. get them some buff in a unit of 50+ with a command and they'l start to piss people off.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

60 (x2)

i see... so if i have awesome magic defense i should be ok with combat, which should be easy for my dwarfs.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    38 (x2)

I would think that runed up warmachines are the way to go - alot of the real nasties in the vampire counts army are either ethereal or have regeneration so flaming attacks are going to help negate that advantage. Stone throwers with two runes of penetration and one of burning is going to thump big holes into the infantry blocks, while cannons can kill off the big models.
    Since vampires themselves can be very strong in combat, it would probably be wise to have your own characters defended heavily, and rely on the superior stats of the infantry to dish out the wounds and win you combats, especially if you have lots of great weapons.

Of course, shutting down his magic AND having some decent combat characters left at the end of it is going to be pretty difficult since you will have spent alot of your points one way or the other.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

107 (x4)

If playing as dwarfs, a blanaced list of infantry and war machines should do fine. Just know when to use your dispell items, and try to avoid vampire lords/heros in units. Other than that watch for fast flying monsterous infantry and there is little to worry about.

+ Reply to Thread