Hexwraiths - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hexwraiths

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hexwraiths

Can someone help me in understanding how to make these work? Given they do not have vampire special rule and can't flee when charged, how do you use them as fast cav when they can only do an 8 inch move per turn? These would seem to be good, but I don't see how they can work without the mobility of being able to march through units?

Has anyone had any success with a unit of these?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How about this?

Given no responses here are some of my thoughts in a 1500 point list:

5 Hexwraiths, and a terrorgheist both need a general with them to babysit so they can actually have the mobility they need to be effective.

Babysitter=

Vampire Lord
    Hellsteed (Fly to keep close to the two needy units above)
    Ogre Blade (Stay back or POW 5 str 7 attacks)
    Enchanted shield
    Talisman of preservation
    Beguile (Not easy to kill unless because of static combat res)

The vampire Lord can get a look out sir roll of 4+ staying close to the hexwraiths and keep up with them and the terrorgheist by flying around close enough to them. He has 2+ armour save and a 4+ ward save and can hit pretty hard with 5 str 7 attacks if he needs to get into a fight?

This little trio of units can advance on a flank and cause some shinanigans that need some attention paid to them while a growing zombie horde advances on the other flank or center?

Any thoughts or improvements? Or, is this too much risk/points just to have 5 hex wraiths and a terrorgheist with enough mobility to make them useful?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

While I havnt used hexwraiths before, I have an idea that might benefit you. Take enough casters with the lore of vampires to ensure you get vanhel's danse and take the book of arkhan. You can move the hexwraiths close to the unit of your choice, then use vanhel's to move them through the unit, dealing damage. Also, I'm not entirely sure this works, since they are fast cav, they can reform to face the unit they just went through, and then you can use the book of arkhan to have them move through it again! lol I'm really not sure if that would work but I dont see why not.

That does seem like a lot of points just to follow 2 units around and be vulnerable to warmachine and archer fire.

The terrorghiest doesn't need to be babysat, when moving him around just keep him out of front archs and eventually within 8' to get a scream off. It works well to mess with your opponents movement plans.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    63 (x2)

The way imagined using them was as a anti-redirecter. Run them directly in front of your blood knights to prevent unwanted frenzied charge. If your opponent throws a dog/sabertusk/eagle/whatever in the way of your oncoming hex/bloodknight combo, just run the hexwraiths through it to kill it and set them up to protect your bloodknights for their charge on the next turn, or if you charge THROUGH the redirecter into another unit you may even be able to get the bloodknight charge off on the same turn if they're set-up right.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't have the book on me, so i might just be spouting out incorrect information but two things to keep in mind: You can only move once per magic phase via vanhel. It doesn't matter if you have the spell 5 times (Book, random, loremaster, house rule, whatever). Each unit can only be moved once per magic phase. So parking hex wraiths right in front of a unit, danseing them through, then danseing them back through can't happen. But i have to give you credit for parking right in front then danseing through. That's not something I've thought about before. usually, because its not a problem. Position your hex wraiths near the general when you deploy. Vanguard up the full 12 inches. turn 1, march the general up 8 inches (or more if mounted). Your hex wraiths can now march, blow past your opponent and start causing havoc. Works amazingly well in the blood and glory scenario where opposing armies start closer together. Another thing to note about the hex wraiths. They can not charge "through" units. Take a look at their rules again. I'm 99% certain it says they can move through units in the "remaining moves" phase. that means that they can't charge, flee, pursue, over run, or anything like that through a unit, because the rule only allows them to do it in the remaining moves phase. You'd be best off just walking through the enemy screen, killing them, them moving your blood knights up.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    39 (x1)

Is it even possible to resurrect fallen Hexwraiths? Based on what i read I do not think its possible but i maybe wrong?
    Don't mess up our fluff GW!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ekalbs View Post
    Is it even possible to resurrect fallen Hexwraiths? Based on what i read I do not think its possible but i maybe wrong?
    You can ressurect them, but as they are ethereal they can only regain one wound per casting. Not including the lore attribute : )

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    39 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by Petrocco View Post
    You can ressurect them, but as they are ethereal they can only regain one wound per casting. Not including the lore attribute : )
    But how does that work with the mount/rider? Since it says in the lore of life that a calvary model counts as 2 wounds so im unsure if that applies or not?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well the invocation of nehek spell reads as follows:
    "Infantry gains D6 plus the caster's Wizard level in wounds(roll for each unit); other troop types targeted gain 1 plus the caster's Wizard level in wounds. However, models with the vampiric, ethereal or large target special rules can never regain more than one wound."

Doesn't say anything about 2 wounds per mounted model. They are different spells and each has their own rules to follow.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    39 (x1)

Okay just making sure i guess the last paragraph of Resercting Fallen Warriors threw me off. But i guess thats mainly there so you can't heal your characters who use their mounts as their wounds. Dont want to cheat anyone when i play it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast