Non-Human Vampires? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    74 (x2)

Non-Human Vampires?

I've just read the story of Mannfred von Carstein and the Elf princess Aliathra.

In the story, the Elf princess was described as "astonishingly beautiful", "a mage of impressive skill" and able to "charm an angry manticores head into her lap."

The story ended with Mannfred defeating her army and capturing her.

This made me wonder what plans he had for her, someone of her stunning beauty, magical power and bewitching charm would make a powerful ally. If she were Human the question would be a no-brainer. He would, of course, turn her and bring her over to his side.

But she's not Human. She's an Elf.

So....?

Vampire-Elves?

Vampire-Dwarves?

Vampire-Beastmen?

Do you think it's possible? Or is the curse of vampirism limited to Humans?

Last edited by SkyDog; April 22nd, 2012 at 19:58.
    In the 41st millenium there is no such thing as paranoia, the universe realy is out to get you!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It states in the army book that elves dont usually persue necromancy because they all ready have long lives. But the way they wrote it, sounds like they could if they wanted to. I think he might try and turn her. But what is the story you red called? wouldnt mind picking it up.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

74 (x2)

The story is "War in the Border Princes"

I read it in the January issue of WhiteDwarf. It's also in the Vampire Counts army book starting on page 16.
    In the 41st millenium there is no such thing as paranoia, the universe realy is out to get you!

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    470 (x8)

I know for a fact this question has come up in the past - I've gone and found some of those old threads, some of which may be relevant again!

Vampire questions

Vampire Elves?

Origin of Vampires

But @Petrocco has pretty much nailed the gist of it anyway - Elves don't normally go for all that necromancy business because they've got thousands of years to live anyway. For this particular Elf (the one in the story you read) it sounds like she already has many of the attributes a Vampire may have anyway, so she doesn't really gain anything by being turned.

But that's assuming she has a choice in the matter, and from the end of the story it doesn't sound like she's really in a position to dictate the terms of her future.

Many of the other races have their own motivations, too - Orcs just love fighting too much to bother about anything else, Beastmen... Well, I can see them being corrupted by dark magic, but I can't see any vampire willingly turning them, aside from a Strigoi perhaps. Or maybe it would happen unintentionally, a Beastman bringing down a vampire, eating bits of them, and being afflicted with the Curse?

I suppose if you play your fluff right anything is possible!
    Rabbit; Our Tau community has the talent of figuring out how to turn a feather into a timebomb. Macgyver would be jealous.
    8people; Honey, why is my fluffwars story your shopping list?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

74 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by Deadstar_MRC View Post
    But that's assuming she has a choice in the matter, and from the end of the story it doesn't sound like she's really in a position to dictate the terms of her future.
    That's my thoughts on the matter. Few other races have the motivation or aptitude to follow this path on their own, but who said they have a choice in the matter?

One faction I can think of that clearly DO have the motivation and aptitude is the Dark-Elves. They use zombies to work the mines and already use dark magic and blood rituals to extend their lives. They clearly don't have any taboos about black magic or undead. They're all about gaining power and immortality.

Now that I think about it, why hasn't GW done anything with this?

Dark-Elves + Vampires = Obvious!

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    470 (x8)

Well, GW sort of have, already...

The origins of Vampires stems from an Elixir created by Nagash - who learnt many of his secrets (or at least the final ones he needed) from captured Dark Elf pirates I believe. He used his knowledge and the knowledge he gained from them to craft some manner of potion that would make him live forever, which would be all well and good if he sat back in a little hovel somewhere and kept to himself. But no, he has to keep raising armies and trying to conquer the lands and people keep trying to kill him for it.

Anyway...

Vampires originated when Queen Neferata attempted to reconstruct Nagash's Elixir from partial notes the Tomb King armies had uncovered somewhere. It worked for the most part, save for the fact it left her (and anyone else affected by it) with an incredible thirst for blood.

So I think we concluded from this that the Dark Elves, who already have that Elven longevity, have methods of increasing or prolonging their lifespan anyway, through blood or dark magic rituals. So already long life + extra magic bonuses = no need to much about with all this Vampirism stuff.

Not to say it can't happen, just that the Dark Elves are another of those 'unlikely' races, as they wouldn't really gain anything by being Vampirised.
    Rabbit; Our Tau community has the talent of figuring out how to turn a feather into a timebomb. Macgyver would be jealous.

Oh No! Not Him Again! Non Marine Player's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    94 (x2)

Just because they wouldn't gain anything doesn't necessarily mean it cannot happen though. Vampirism is a curse, so in all technicallity anyone could be infected.

As for the story in the Border Princes, from what I read Mannfred intended to not only weaken the alliance between the Dwarves and the High Elves but also intended to gain a sacrifice to bring Nagash back into existence. At the beginning of that story it states Mannfred made a pact with the cult of Nagash to bring him back to life and create a new world order and, I quote directly here, it states that:

"It would take the rituals of ancient Nehekhara combined with the sacrifice of a powerful and innocent soul to achieve a true resurrection."

So he doesn't intend to Vampire-ise her, he needs her to bring about a new age of undeath.
    NMP

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

470 (x8)

Although turning her into a vampire could be construed as sacrificing an innocent soul, I'm not sure how legally binding and specific some of these dastardly pacts actually are!

+ Reply to Thread