Vampire Counts In Sieges - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How do Vampire Counts do in sieges? Is it a foregone conclusion that we will lose? A couple friends of mine are trying to work up a castle board and I was wondering how the Undead would do in games. It seems like they would be at a disadvantage (no missile troops being the big thing) but...never fall back.

So, the question is, what can Vampire Counts do to win Siege games.

For offense I've been thinking: hiring a whole bunch of Dogs of War cannons, using Call Winds and just march an army forward somewhat protected from missile fire...anything else?

For defense: Use either the Von Carstein list, or the Sylvannian list, need missile troops; again hire Dogs of War cannons for missile troops, and rely on Unbreakable forces to simply plug the holes that will inevitably appear in the walls.

Other ideas?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    139 (x8)

Those tactics sound pretty good, better than what I have thought of so far.

I think VC are fairly stuffed in sieges. As you say very little to break down the walls, no missile troops, when your zombies and skeletons hit the walls from ladders they are going to get pasted since they suck anyway and need 6 to hit. Magic will be the key element, with double points you can smash the enemy with magic. You will need to try and build a huge horde close and use offensive magic to try and blast all the defenses on the walls. If you can do that I think you could win attacking.

Defending is another matter though. Now your opponent has double your points so you will get absolutely no magic off and your opponent will get lots off. You have no long range, except Sylvanians but they can't hit much anyway, when enemy troops hit the wall you will not kill them and while they aren't likely to hit you if they do you will lose the combat since zombies and skeletons won't kill anything and winning is based purely on kills.

So in summary, if you can ue magic well you can win while attacking, but I really don't think theres much of a chance while defending.
    The LO ANZAC Clan!

The Pirate's Haven BFG clan! Breathe life into this fantastic GW system.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    33 (x2)

Another thing to consider is an optional rule (IIRC, at work now), at least in the Generals Compendium, to equip armies without siege engines with std ballistas and catapults for a cost. It is a great opportunity for me to use the old small and cute Screaming Skull catapult, from back when my army was named Undead

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

in the siege rulez in the BRB we can still buy siege towers to help out.
    <span style='font-size:23pt;line-height:100%'><a href='http://www.librarium-online.com' target='_blank'>Boot Camp</a></span>

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

maybe a blooddragon vampire with S8 (during charge)can bring down the walls?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

139 (x8)

You mean get over the walls? Because he still needs 6 to hit when he gets to the top of a ladder.

In attacking just use magic to overwhelm the enemy. In defending, give up at the start and choose a different army. What do we have, enemies of any race outnumbering us and no magic during the whole game (very likely), on the walls the only thing that counts in combat is kills, no ranks, flanks, standards or whatever and we all know how good skeletons and zombies are at killing. :glare:

Maybe vampires, one on each wall (even thralls) can help hold them, but I still think they would get overwhelmed. Plus if the gate goes down...
    The LO ANZAC Clan!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ahh you meant like that
    you know we have the best avialible weapon when it comes to getting over defended areas
    Grave guards with banner of barrows will still hit the enemy on 3+

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

139 (x8)

Yes, they are a very good option for getting over the walls. Of course, that is only one unit on one wall and they still strike last. Opponents would put their best troops or hero there to stop them. A second unit of grave guard on a tower is good too, they do not suffer for getting on the walls and two may attack from it.
    The LO ANZAC Clan!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

when attacking the castle why not just take ethereals to go right through the castle walls?
    ph34r teh 1337 k0r34n 5p33x0r

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

139 (x8)

Because apparently you can&#39;t, in one of the annuals it says walls are magically protected and no ethereal or ethereal making ability can go through them. You can take them and get to the top of walls without siege equipment then from there in te next turn charge into the courtyard, but you can&#39;t just go through.
    The LO ANZAC Clan!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast