Zombie Dragon - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Zombie Dragon

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i've heard nothing but bad things for the zombie dragon. and i have a friend who's almost dead set on getting one. does it have anthing good going for it? or should i try to convince her to get something else. any help would be appreciated.
    a note now, i don't play VC myself, nor do i have the armybook, so if your reasons go beyond general knowledge of the counts, a vague idea of what's going on would be helpful. this mostly just applies to item set ups for whoever's on the dragon.
    also, she's planning to stick a necrach on it.

that's the thing about perfection, it can only get worse.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Zombie Dragons huh?

Well, personally I've never used one, but that's because I've never played a game where I thought I could justify the points.

Good points:

1. A kick-ass model - ok so this is more re. buying and painting it, but hey...

2. Causes terror

3. Has excellent toughness, a negative to hit modifier and a breath weapon.

4. Gives good protection for the rider.

Bad points:

1. Large target so don't take against a shooty army.

2. Costs a bunch of points.

3. Takes up a hero slot as well as those points.

Personally I think they are worth it, but only if the game is over a certain point value; for me that might be 2,500 but 3,000 more reliably. At the former of those I'd still prefer getting more skeletons and specials than buying in zombie dragons. However, the psychological effect on your opponent of a terror causing flying creature shouldn't be over estimated.

If she does take one, then I'd recommend the Crown of the Damned for the Necrach; I always do anyway, but being a Lord with leadership of 10 you stand a very good chance of being ok.
    Mordheim: Middenheimers & Night Goblins

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x2)

One thing I'd like to add - the Rider.

As it is, Counts can't ride a Zombie Dragon. This is crucial, since it results in the following:

1. Master Necromancer: A dedicated Wizard in close combat? With Hand of Dust it just might work, otherwise I'd forget it

2. Vampire Lord. A Lord on Dragon takes up three of your four Character slots. Nothing else against this one, though.
    Use Light, Beasts, Metal instead of Heavens
    NecroLords: Use at least one Death Mage
    Brets: Use Peasants&Damsels
    Skaven: Don't use Skryre SAD

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

good things

1. it is very strong
    2. -1 to hit in combat
    3. terror

bad things

1. low ws won't hit much
    2. high cost 300pts!!
    3. not fun to lose due to CR
    4. bad armour save
    5. large target
    6. bad breath compared to other dragons
    7. take up one heroslot

honestly I can't see any use for this creature a vampire thrall will do more damage since it won't get targeted as much as this one and you get leftover points for maybe 20 GG
    and a vamp thrall + 20 GG will do much better then this dragon

though it may be fun in duels between chars but nothing I would take in regular games

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    139 (x8)

Its weapon skill and save is pathetic compared to other dragons yet it costs no less points, personally I do not find dragons worth it for any army anymore, especially not this thing. The model is nice and I have one, but I do not use it at all anymore, it just never does anything worth while when I try it.

As others have said a thrall will cost a lot less points and will kill more since it can have a better save, far greater stats in general (except T) and it isn't a large target. If you want fliers, go for fell bats, if you want a huge beast to kill things... Find another army, ogres or dragon ogres maybe.
    The LO ANZAC Clan!

The Pirate's Haven BFG clan! Breathe life into this fantastic GW system.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Indeed, it's WS is ridiculous, and in comparison to other dragons it just isn't worth the points.

Re. WS though, that's a vague gripe I have with our special troops. I appreciate we have fear as recompense for those points, but there are enough banners out there that enemy troops can negate that.

I've always thought WS 4 for Grave Guard and Black Knights would be more appropriate. Apart from anything else, if these guys were originally running around in better armour and with wight blades, I think they'd have a better WS than your average soldier (skeleton).

herumph.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

they do have better WS then a skeleton

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    68 (x4)

Originally posted by strewart+Feb 1 2005, 21:12--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(strewart &#064; Feb 1 2005, 21:12)</div><div class='quotemain'>Its weapon skill and save is pathetic compared to other dragons yet it costs no less points, personally I do not find dragons worth it for any army anymore, especially not this thing. The model is nice and I have one, but I do not use it at all anymore, it just never does anything worth while when I try it.
    [snapback]318843[/snapback]
    [/b]

I could swear it does cost less than other dragons.

One way or annother, put a Lord on it and load the lord up with to wizard level 3 and get ready to heal heal heal.

<!--QuoteBegin-Teron
    @Feb 1 2005, 124
    2. Vampire Lord. A Lord on Dragon takes up three of your four Character slots. Nothing else against this one, though.
    [snapback]318441[/snapback]
    [/quote]

If you use a zombie dragon in a 2000 - 2999 point game you are insane and not a good player, it&#39;s cheesy and unfair. Dragons and whatnot are meant to be in higher point games, where you have the hero lot to make up for the fact that it takes it up.
    A youth with his first cigar makes himself sick; a youth with his first girl makes other people sick. - Mary Wilson Little

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by sin_spawn@Feb 2 2005, 11:42
    they do have better WS then a skeleton
    [snapback]319004[/snapback]
    oh yeah, so they do
    :hmm:

i still stand by my argument though, even if i did talk nonsense half way through

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    139 (x8)

Yes, what you meant is they do have lower weapon skill than any other elite troop when in all fairness they shouldn&#39;t. They are undead so they have been fighting longer.

I could swear it does cost less than other dragons.
    From checking some of my other army books, I now see that the zombie dragon is slightly less. The difference isn&#39;t significant, especially considering the difference in WS, save and breath weapon, but it is there. They do still cost a hero choice like others, which makes them too much considering our other far cheaper and more useful heroes...
    The LO ANZAC Clan!

The Pirate's Haven BFG clan! Breathe life into this fantastic GW system.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast