Is this what ive been looking for? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is this what ive been looking for?

I will start a army of fantasy after my Eldar one in construction right now. I was thinking about Vampire Counts after seeing a player at my GW store field his well painted and evil looking army against some Lizardmen. That army seemed cool off the bat. Now i have been playing Eldar for only a short while and have won only a few games and lost a lot. I wanted to go into fantasy because it seemed more balanced. Is this the army im looking for?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x2)

First, we would need to know what you look for in an army: Brute force, mobility, monsters, rock-hard characters, model count, etc.

In short, it could be, but without some more detailed info it's quite hard to recommend anything.

EDIT: A good bet would be to look at the Tacticas in the Tactics forum: They shed some light on what each army is like.
    Last edited by Teron; June 10th, 2005 at 14:59.
    Use Light, Beasts, Metal instead of Heavens
    NecroLords: Use at least one Death Mage
    Brets: Use Peasants&Damsels
    Skaven: Don't use Skryre SAD

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    139 (x8)

Fantasy certainly seems to have a heavier tactics aspect, especially in the movement phase, shooting does far less than in 40k.

But yeah, as mentioned we don't know what you are looking for. If you want an army similar to Eldar, this may not be it, High Elves would most likely be closer. Read through the 'Thinking of starting VC' thread sticked at the top to get an idea of what VC can do and what their general styles are. Great army to play as and unlimited conversion opportunities.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Im loking for a customisable army from a modeling standpoint and a strong resilient army with some fast units with strong charectors to lead my army. I have no expeirience using magic having come from 40K but if they are anything like my Eldar's psychic powers then a decent array of magic would also be nice to have.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So far i like these models and like what people say about the VC but i still want feedback before i buy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Eldar_Lord
    So far i like these models and like what people say about the VC but i still want feedback before i buy.
    well VC have plenty of customizable models, zombies and skelletons can be themed as any army, you just have to purchase the boxes of soldiers and the boxes of the undead and mix-n-match.

personally i have a sylvanian army, many models are made from combined zombie/empire models since sylvania is essentially one of the realms of the empire, however it is now ruled over by powerful vampires.

i also have a bretonnian themed army, with mix-n-match units of knigths on undead warhorses as well as battle pilgrims (fanatic monks) as my ghouls and skeletal steed-riding skeleton warriors as my dire wolves that look like mountedyeomen.

it's very nice looking as far as painting and modeling goes and adds a lot of flavor to your army. there was a high-elf vampire army ina white dwarf a while back and this is very common as vampires come from all parts of the world and gather armies from the areas they have lived and fought in. heck you might even be able to make an army of undead-dwarves, except they would have very odd stats fro a normal dwarf. usually you want to use humans, elves, orks/goblins to make an undead list.

also there is a zombie pirate list in a recent white dwarf and on the lustria site, you might find that fun to make, except it's ruels are a little unbalanced and will make it difficult to win as it doesn't follow the basic structure of most armies out there!

So if you want to try vampire counts start by looking through any white dwarf magazines, online army photos, and all the army books of the various races and decide if there is one race you really like and want to create an undead army around.

as far as the army list is concerned, the vampires are the msot powerful characters in the game, even a chaos lord can't top a vampire, perhaps the greater daemons are better in some areas, but will still die to the vampires in single combat on a regular basis. your magic is very important if you want hordes of infantry, however if you want an elitre strike force you can get relativley cheap heavy cavalry with amazing abilities in the undead army. your basic rank-&-file trooper is very resilient and can come back with a little help from magic, also new units can be raised anywhere within the range limits of the spells so you can outflank enemy units with suprise by makingnew units behind or beside them. also there are some powerful mosters in the army, not a lot but a few.

if you want to start a new army, find a player of fantasy that has a good grasp of the rules, purchase 2 boxes of skeletons and 2 boxes of zombies and 2 necromancers & a vampire (go with any type and try them all out, there are 5 vampire types so see which one you like best), you can create a good army out of these with some zombies and skeletons to spare also purchase 10 dire wolves (or just buy the goblin wolf-rider bos, it has 10 wolves in it, but doesn't have the special dire wolf heads, however it is much cheaper to buy and you can sell the goblins or modify them to make them part of your army of the dead), then play a few small games of 500-1000 points before investing in anything else. learn how the magic and movement works. once you understand the rules you might better undterstand the balance between magic, infantry, cavalry, and combat characters.

if you have questions as to the effectivness of a specific unit or character ask anyone about them before you buy it. some units are onyl effective in special roles whiel others are a jack-of-all-trades.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

139 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Eldar_Lord
    Im loking for a customisable army from a modeling standpoint and a strong resilient army with some fast units with strong charectors to lead my army. I have no expeirience using magic having come from 40K but if they are anything like my Eldar's psychic powers then a decent array of magic would also be nice to have.
    Sounds like VC is the perfect army then. The troops aren't exacty tough, but they are reliable and will never run away plus you can use magic to raise more of them. The characters are about the best you can get in the entire game. There are fast units like black knights, dire wolves and fell bats. Magic is a lot different from psychic powers, it has a phase of its own and almost all armies have it and can be strong in it, but necromancy is pretty powerful and VC do use magic a lot to win.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great thanks to all of you for advice. And i cant wait to go out now and start this new army. O and i had one more question. I have read the thread on whether zombies or skellies are better and i am thinking that the zombies are better because there are more of them and can be raised back in lage groups. Is this true? And if so would it be wise to field an all zombie army?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    53 (x5)

Whether Skellies or Zombies are better, depends on what you like and what you want them to do.
    And an all Zombie army is possible, and it'll work. Though you're extremely heavily dependant on magic.

Tai'shar
    Lance Leader of the LO Codex: Wasters design team

Forged in fire, bonded in ice
    Son of Fenris, Son of Russ

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

139 (x8)

All zombies works better for Sylvanians, since they get 4+ saves in combat too, but for normal VC it can still work ok. Some may say the army will look boring with mostly using the same unit, but well converted or even painted zombies never look boring.

Anyway, zombies are cheaper and easier to raise but they also die easier. So it really is personal choice, up to you as to which way you go.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast