Shields for Grave Guard? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Shields for Grave Guard?

Hey guys, I was just wondering three things:

First off: is it worth it to add shields to my Grave guard unit?
    How would it affect their profile, if I did?

Secondly: If I want to alternate between them (shields/no shields) how would I go about making detachable shields best? I don't have the money to buy 60 GG, some with shields, some without.

And third: If I were to take halberds, will the wight blade special rule still apply?

Hope you can help me out on this!
    -SY

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

60 Grave Guard is a lot. That is a serious chunk of change. I don't think that I'd get that many, 30 tops. That's only because I wouldn't field more than 1 unit of them though. I suppose if you wanted 2 or 3 then maybe. You'll want them in blocks of at least 20 with full command. Yes wight blades count for halbards. In close cobat with hand weapon and shield your armor save increases by 1, so yes the shields can be very usefull. You'll have a wight unit with a +3 armor save. I'm not sure if I'd field the halberds or not. If I fielded halberds I would not field shields in that unit as a halberd is a 2 handed weapon. If you did field that way however you can always opt for hand weapon/shield instead of the halberd in combat.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    139 (x8)

Detachable shields: Either make little hooks on their arms to snag the shields on, or use rare earth magnets. They work great if you can be bothered drilling every piece and sticking the magnets in.

As mentioned, halberds do count as wight blades, though I would also prefer sword and shield to halberd for that extra save. So yes, shields are worth it when you are using hand weapons.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x1)

You could use rare earth magnets.. that's what I use.

Or just make the front rank have shields (so have half of your dudes with shields and half without).. then if you wanna make the unit nonshielded, make the front rank without shields.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Errant Squire
    60 Grave Guard is a lot. That is a serious chunk of change. I don't think that I'd get that many, 30 tops. That's only because I wouldn't field more than 1 unit of them though. I suppose if you wanted 2 or 3 then maybe. You'll want them in blocks of at least 20 with full command.
    i think he would of bought 60 of them to have 2 units of 30 (30 with sheild, 30 without) so he has one unit but can choose when to have sheilds or not, but that is way too much money just for the option.

i know its very cheap and doesnt look brilliant but blue tac, if you put abit on the back of the sheild if you want sheilds stick it on if you dont take it off, thats how GW have done it on the back of the rulebook.
    lets agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours are

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by red120
    Or just make the front rank have shields (so have half of your dudes with shields and half without).. then if you wanna make the unit nonshielded, make the front rank without shields.
    I think I'll go with this, sounds very good Thanks for the suggestions, guys!

+ Reply to Thread