agaisnt wood elves - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    And
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    43 (x2)

agaisnt wood elves

hi there... do you have any good advice for me to play against wood elves the wood elf battalion in skirmish? what shall i field in my army? i play von carstein

regards AND

Quote Originally Posted by Exarch Thomo View Post
    Hell, I even just copied the name from And - so it's all his fault! :P

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would definatly have at least one unit of Gouls, because they skirmish and can protect you against scouts. At least 2 Lv2 necromancers and hope for some magic missiles. I'd consider some Spirit Hosts.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1283 (x8)

You definitely want some skirmishers. Errantsquire is right. Get some ghouls. Their high toughness and two poisoned attacks will also give the elves problems.

Spirit hosts make great screeners. But how many points are available to you? We can offer much more concrete help if you give us that.

And
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    43 (x2)

yeah its about 1000 pts i think...
    Quote Originally Posted by Exarch Thomo View Post
    Hell, I even just copied the name from And - so it's all his fault! :P

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1283 (x8)

I don't know the official skirmish rules, but at those points, I'd want spirit hosts, 2 bases. Shield your most valuable ranked unit with them.

I'd have ghouls to counter their skirmishers. At least one unit of 9. (Eight needs two dead to panic, nine needs 3). They will also screen but are likely to run.

Dire wolves can counter their long range chargers and fast cavalry.

No banshee, too unreliable against high leadership.

Summon up zombies or skeletons behind or in front of their archers and charge in asap. Tie up the units designed to thin you out before dryads and wardancers get into combat. Both of those units will eat up your skeletons and zombies.

A magic missile spell would be nice, but the dice have got to be kind.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    86 (x4)

In 1000 points, as a Wood Elf player, the two biggest things I would fear would be any kind of magic (magic missiles being the biggest threat), and a unit of those ethereal spirit things.

If you can dominate the magic phase against Wood Elves, you be in for a much easier fight. Dryads will really lose thier edge against some concentrated magic missile fire. And since you don't roll to hit with magic missiles, several Wood Elf special rules are negated (Skirmish, Forest Stalker, Briarsheath).

I say the Spirit Hosts are good and bad. A Wood Elf army full of Dryads and other tree spirit units won't even blink at Spirit Hosts (all Forest Spirit units attacks count as magical). And there are some other crafty ways to get around the Ethereal rule, but for the most part, our archery will be negated against these things. So if you charge a Glade Guard unit, you probably only need to do one wound because you'll be outnumbered (most likely). Maybe two if the Wood Elf player takes a standard or is on a hill or somesuch. There aren't too many ranked up block infantry units in a Wood Elf army, and that's how I see the easy way to kill ethereal units is, make 'em crumble (or hit em with the Dryads, w00~!)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

1283 (x8)

Now that I'm playing both WE and VC, I have a little insight into the two armies. Though I haven't played either army against the other. (But I hope to as there's a new WE player on the block besides myself).

Spirit hosts will definitely work against WE. Other than lords none of the shooting is magical, and spirit hosts can absorb one wound a round from a character or two. And I can't imagine a WE player unloading the Hail of Doom arrow against a host, though it's not a bad idea. Hosts make great screeners, but they're vulnerable to any unit with the forest spirit rule. Dryads will eat them up.

Same goes for banshees. Dryads will own them. Banshees can be effective against elves, but it's much tougher than, say, Skaven or BoC. A bad rolling day and she'll never get her money back.

WE's are tough to get magically offensive with, but with a spellweaver, a spellsinger or two, and a magic-using branchwraith, it can be really potent. Fury of the forest and treesinging can really hurt. More likely is the strong defensive magic of the WE. A spellweaver can take an item to reroll all dispel rolls, for example. A branchwraith can take a spite for another dispel die. Add a dispel scroll or two and what do you get? A strong dispel phase, which is particularly bad for us. I'd want nine casting against WE, along with one or two bound items.

Ghouls are good counter units to the many skirmishers in the WE army. So are bat swarms.

Many WE units are immune to psych. All the forest spirit armies are immune, as are Wardancers. Those guys won't be taking fear tests. Other units are themselves fear causing. Eternal guard can become stubborn. So watch out for these units and think carefully about how to attack.

Treekin are nasty. We don't have much that can deal with them, outside of our lords and counts. And their attacks are magical so spirit hosts won't work like they could against kroxigors. I'd swarm them with multiple units, hit them from two or three sides and hope for a few wounds against their exceptionally high toughness. (Their Str and To equal our lords'!)

So it's a tough battle, for sure. And those elves pouring in arrows round after round. Might be worth taking the banner that provides a ward save against missile fire on the Grave Guard.

Hmm, I'll add anything else I think of later. Ciao.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    86 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by DavidVC04
    Spirit hosts will definitely work against WE. Other than lords none of the shooting is magical, and spirit hosts can absorb one wound a round from a character or two. And I can't imagine a WE player unloading the Hail of Doom arrow against a host, though it's not a bad idea. Hosts make great screeners, but they're vulnerable to any unit with the forest spirit rule. Dryads will eat them up.
    I just wanted to add that there is a magic item in the Wood Elf list that makes all attacks from a character and the unit he joins count as magical. So he could create an Ethereal killing bow line. Though I wouldn't expect to see this item too much, esspecially in 1000 pts, unless your opponent is kitting to beat you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hey And... where in denmark are you from

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

1283 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by MobiusPrime
    I just wanted to add that there is a magic item in the Wood Elf list that makes all attacks from a character and the unit he joins count as magical. So he could create an Ethereal killing bow line. Though I wouldn't expect to see this item too much, esspecially in 1000 pts, unless your opponent is kitting to beat you.
    Good pooint, I hadn't considered that.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast