General Vampire count tactics? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    jtm
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

General Vampire count tactics?

I've been reading various army lists and looking for tactics as I'm a pretty new vampire counts player. I found stuff on lahmia and the Sylvanian, but nothing for general over all tactics or anything specific for blood dragons.

What's a good way to deploy things generally?

Should you mount your lord if black knight units should be kept small?

What's a good unit to put a battle standard bearer in?

If you have a BSB in a unit do you need a standard bearer as well?

What are some general tactics or strategies, or a place I can find some? Currently I keep the units close to each other and hope for the best. So just about anything will be helpful.

I can read now!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1283 (x8)

Look for King Ulrik's "Playing with" sticky at the top of the Vampire Counts forum, and you'll be playing with your little vampires in no time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

my way to play counts

In my vampire count army i use a master necromancer as a lord and give him cloak of mist and shadows (making himetheral). Sure it is pretty cheesy but in this army im going for magic. After that i have a necromancer carrying 2 dispel scrolls and two wraiths. mostly the army is about sitting in a courner countinuing raising skeletons and accasionaly casting spells like a magic missile or that spell of ages thingy. If u like to swarm ure enemy with skeletons and use magic and fear as ure weapon this is ure kind of army. I use this kind of army because i hate counting on one guy to come and rescue my smaller units being a as most people told me to play blood dragons.
    Laws are like sausages, it is better not to see them being made.
    Otto von Bismarck

jtm
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I read that, and while it's helpful for equipping your heroes and lords it didn't cover everything I was looking for.

Things like how to deploy, how many black knights to field, how to get them to flank, where you should put your characters etc... I'm pretty much a complete beginner.
    I can read now!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1283 (x8)

I think this Don't link to other sites. - KUhas some good things to say. [Didn't realize it had links to other communities--sorry]

Edit: Oh yeah, thanks for the feedback on the tactica in the "Playing With" thread. If you could, tell me in a little more detail what info you'd like to see included. It's a work in progress, and I'd really appreciate criticism on what to add to it.
    Last edited by DavidWC09; October 15th, 2005 at 19:34.

jtm
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It looks like you have the character and magic section pretty much done, maybe list some popular combinations among players?

A brief rundown of the various units, what they're good for, how many you should field, what not to do with them, good banners to take, what kind of character should go in there if any.

And something about deployment, since we have to be within 12" of the general and all to march. That's everything I can think of, it's already really helpful.
    I can read now!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd like to see that army wastedinabattletank. You should post it in the Army list forum. I tried running the master necro once. It didn't work out so great for me. I like your idea's though.

Senior Member The vampire Lestat's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I play against brettonians more than anything else and I've found that a unit of skeletons less than 25 is useless as the best tactic is to let them charge you and have them blunt their lances on your masses of infantry, don't worry to much about keeping your general in marching range of your army as it gotta have a good vanhels day if you wanna match the brettonians for speed. Re-enoforce the units the previously charged and then send you killing units into the knights flank while placing the zombie speed bumps on your units open flank. Do whatever you can to prevent an enemy overrun except from a speed bump. Protect your necromancers as against brettonians your magic is one of the few things going for you. Take as many terror causing units as you can field and try and get rid of the ward save, then bring on curse of years and hand of dust etc. I like taking a large unit of Black knights because St6 means -3 to the armour save and they have trouble wound T4 black knights without the charge, on that note don't take barding as the negative modifier to movement really hurts and you REALLY need the charge with your knights. The rest you'll find on page 76 of the vampire army book. Hope this helps, it may work against many armies but as I said I mostly play brettonians.
    Last edited by The vampire Lestat; October 22nd, 2005 at 03:06.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm pretty new too but i say that if you're going to collect V.C's then they have to be led by a vampire (except thralls, they dont count) not a pansy necromancer
    also, charging things in the front, rear and both sides with newly summoned zombies/skeletons seems to kill most things, as does charging it with black knights led by a Vampire.

Mod edit.

LO does not endorse the use of illegally downloaded codices or army books, nor do we expect members to give details on them. Please refrain from doing so, consider this an offical warning. - KU

Cheers
    BloodDragon666
    Last edited by King Ulrik Flamebeard; October 19th, 2005 at 16:56.
    We weep for the blood of a bird, but not for the blood of a fish
    blessed are those who have voice
    Member of the Anime Clan and Anzac Clan
    Ordo Malleus Guardsman of the Imperial Eagle Clan
    Grand High Overlord of the Grots Clan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The forum doesn't advocate giving away rules, or playing an army without owning the Army Book. Most tournaments require that you have your own army book. Getting the rules to "try out" an army is fine, but most people will expect you to have the book if it's the main army you play.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast