How central is Fear to your game? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    62 (x2)

How central is Fear to your game?

In my gaming group I have to admit that I find fear fairly usless. My usual opponents are Chaos (marked and deamon heavy), Ogres, Cult of Slaneesh, Beasts O chaos (with lots of marked stuff), Tomb Kings, and other VCs. While there are some units in most of those armies that are affected by fear, and some non regualrs who show up with armies not quite so immune to it, I find that fear plays a very minor roll in most of my games. I have kept a fairly good win/loss rate of roughly 60/40, so my lack of fear dosn't seem to hurt me too much.

Seeing how so many of my opponents are either immune to psyk, re-roll failed psyk tests, or cause fear themselves, I was currious how many other VC players out there find fear the powerful tool I keep hearing about, but not experiencing.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree. I think that fear is kind of useless. it can bee good agenst some armys but to many is immune to it for it to bee real good in play. its allso to expensive. for example skeletons, they cost 8 points they are allmost as bad as a slaves (skaven) and they only cost 2 points!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

fear is why zombies are so good, unbreakable helps that alot as well, but if they didnt cause fear, they would be by far cheaper. So I think it is essential.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fear >>>>> dwarves
    Fear aginst high Ld units who tend to have low US is great because your zombies can pay for themselves while just sitting around and taking charges. Zombies look unthreatening, but it is rather astounding how solid a unit they are. Because the Undead rules benefit us the most when we have lots of inexpensive troops, and the cheapest unit we have are, well, zombies. I like to max out this fear advantage by maxing out on the unit size, so as you basically never lose ranks except to flanking moves. Fear is basically an auto rout agains so many units once charge bonuses wear off. It's suicidle to charge cavalry into zombies because of ressurection and mass hordes of them, makes it a rather unappealing prospect

LO's unofficial Jester Visitor Q's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    377 (x8)

Fear is also good beacuse you never have to worry about it yourself, all those armies you mentioned have fear as a central part in their normal style of play (especially ogres and VC). You can treat it as a sort of bonus. That said before a battle I do take stock of which enemy units are vulnerable to fear and try and gear the battle towards engaging them.
    "God is dead" Nietzsche- 1886
    "Nietzsche is dead" God- 1900

Why are there scams? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q71FLDIMBc8

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    139 (x8)

I used to completely forget about fear and very rarely use it, so it wasn't all that central to my games. In recent games, I've remembered every fear check and it makes a huge difference. Opponents not being able to charge you, needing 6 to hit you, even running before you attack them is great. Sure it doesn't work against some armies, but even with high leadership armies they'll fail at least a couple in a game. I consider it more a bonus when it happens than something critical though.

My biggest use of fear is the auto flee when beaten and outnumbered by it, soooo many combats opponents just pass their tests then I remember the rule and they're gone. That is the biggest use of it IMO.
    The LO ANZAC Clan!

The Pirate's Haven BFG clan! Breathe life into this fantastic GW system.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    62 (x2)

I love Zombies for their inability to break, and the ability to raise them from the dead. I just find that the Fear dosn't work for me. I think this is mainly due to most of my regular opponents not being vulnerable to it, but basicaly I ignore fear and don't plan on it, and if it happens to work I count it as an unexpected bonus. I do run with a GG heavy Strigoi army and usually just win in normal combat. I will admit that the auto break is the most common fear effect I've used, but again most of my opponents arn't affected.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1283 (x8)

Yeah, I hate playing armies that have a lot of ItP units. My friends Cult of Slaneesh is really a pain. Sometimes you can incorporate terror to add an edge. The absolute worst IMO is playing another VC army. Dull, duller, and dullest. :blink:
    Painting Videos--My Warriors of Chaos--WHFB Tactica Index

LO's unofficial Jester Visitor Q's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    377 (x8)

Or tomb kings. I have played a couple of battle against my brothers tomb kings they always go down to the last turn or so because none of the units rout it relies on long drawn out combats.
    "God is dead" Nietzsche- 1886
    "Nietzsche is dead" God- 1900

Why are there scams? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q71FLDIMBc8

The Dvl in Pale Moonlight danceman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    121 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by strewart
    Opponents not being able to charge you, needing 6 to hit you, even running before you attack them is great. Sure it doesn't work against some armies, but even with high leadership armies they'll fail at least a couple in a game. I consider it more a bonus when it happens than something critical though.

My biggest use of fear is the auto flee when beaten and outnumbered by it, soooo many combats opponents just pass their tests then I remember the rule and they're gone. That is the biggest use of it IMO.
    I second that.

So how central is it for me? VERY, without fear we´d be so so so much worse.

cheers dancey
    ""What's the matter? Don't ya like clowns? Don't we make ya laugh?" - Captain Spaulding.

+ Reply to Thread