painting skelotons argghh - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

painting skelotons argghh

Hello all I just painted my first 5 skeletons and to be honest I am not happy with the results I am a decent painter but the colours I used didnt give the effect i was looking for i drybrushed using
    chaos black to scorched brown to scorched brown\snake bite leather to snake bite leather to bleach bone snake bite leather and a final small drybrush of bleached bone. I was hopeinf dor a old, yellowish dirty bone yet still crisp I didnt achive this can anyone share there advice or colour schemes?
    thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here, you dry brush them black, just regular black, and then lightly dry-brush with white. That's how I got the skeletal effect on my army, and it turned out quite well. take a look at my Death Leaper and see the results. O:

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a22...3/000_0057.jpg *56K WARNING*

And yes, that IS a Yu-Gi-Oh card he's standing on. xD

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sarconi
    Hello all I just painted my first 5 skeletons and to be honest I am not happy with the results I am a decent painter but the colours I used didnt give the effect i was looking for i drybrushed using
    chaos black to scorched brown to scorched brown\snake bite leather to snake bite leather to bleach bone snake bite leather and a final small drybrush of bleached bone. I was hopeinf dor a old, yellowish dirty bone yet still crisp I didnt achive this can anyone share there advice or colour schemes?
    thanks
    Base coat Dark Brown (not black) this will start the tones off a little more yellow
    Dry brush Snakebite leather
    Dry brush Bleached Bone
    Ink wash or dip in watered down chesnut or flesh wash ink
    Dry brush Bleached Bone very lightly...

That works for me,
    Best of luck,
    BoS
    Bolter Blasting Blizzard = Victory

BringerOfStormsGallery

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

start of with bestial brown think ink it (doesnt matter what kind of ink, brown or flesh. then drybrush bleached bone very lightly so as just to get the creases to stand out form the bleached bone colour. then keep drybrushing the bleached bone till you get the desired thickness of bone color. and finally highlight a bit with skull white. thats how I do mine and they turn out decent enough
    What you are we once were. What we are you will become!!!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1283 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Big_Canadian
    Start off with bestial brown thin ink (doesn't matter what kind of ink, brown or flesh). Then drybrush bleached bone very lightly so as just to get the creases to stand out from the bleached bone colour. Then keep drybrushing the bleached bone till you get the desired thickness of bone color. Finally highlight a bit with skull white. That's how I do mine and they turn out decent enough.
    I do something similar. Prime them white. Wash them with a thinned, brown ink. Drybrush bestial brown to restore a dark undertone. Drybrush the model with bleached bone, then with white. I usually do another, thinner drybrushing of white on the most prominent surfaces. If you overdo the white, don't worry. Just thin down your brown ink with water, and maybe even a tad of the bestial brown paint. Get it good and watery, and lay a true wash over the model.

As for hand weapons, I paint them a mix of boltgun metal and black, watered down pretty well since the metallics seem so thick. Then I put on boltgun metal, followed by a layer of chainmail, streak the entire weapon with a thinned black ink, and drybrush on mithril silver.

I pay a little more attention to command models.

WD published a painting-on-the-sprue article within the last year or so, didn't they?
    Painting Videos--My Warriors of Chaos--WHFB Tactica Index

The Dvl in Pale Moonlight danceman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    121 (x3)

Base with a black coat.

Apply a another base of Brown(not to light brown).

Drybrush with Bleached bone.

This step is optional but it looks better when highlighting with skull white and/or a REALLY REALLY dry drybrushing of skullwhite.

Cheers dancey and good luck.
    ""What's the matter? Don't ya like clowns? Don't we make ya laugh?" - Captain Spaulding.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    139 (x8)

Skeletons are indeed a pain to paint.. Some of mine turned out alright, but I don't remember how I did the damn things. I think it was undercoat black, drybrush bleached bone, ink black/chestnut, drybrush bleached bone.

Result. Check out that kneeling guy's head. Ignore the far right one, he is done differently.
    The LO ANZAC Clan!

The Pirate's Haven BFG clan! Breathe life into this fantastic GW system.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    37 (x2)

all your ideas seem great but how can you be bothered

i just spray chaos black then dry brush bestial brown then lightly dry brush bleached bone i like the result i get but i don’t think it is quite what you where looking for

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I apply a black primer, drybrush Bone, then drybrush (slightly more dry) white. I paint my weapons shining gold. It actually ended up pretty damn good, and took me the space of an afternoon (not including my basing, which I'm pretty dang anal about)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Skeleton painting

Hi All

First post!

I'm just starting my VC army, but I'm a veteran player of Undead from way way back.

Skeletons can be surprisingly frustrating to paint first up (I remember my initial stuff was pretty ordinary!). The previous advice is quite a good guide for a few different schemes, although personally I find the Black and white schem a little grating, but thats just me.

The VC army book offers some alternative ideas as well. Drybrushing is your friend - practice it and it will reward you well!

My first VC army will be a little different to the norm though, skeleton-wise. I'm experimenting with a White undercoat, Scaly Green basecoat, dry brushed up through Hawk Turquoise, then light Ice Blue to finish. I want my skeletons to stand out (and the idea behind it is they are "alive" and glowing with necrotic energy, hence the weird colour).

I'll post pics once done, if it works okay, to show the final results.

:yes:

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast