Where do the bosses go? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Senior Member The vampire Lestat's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Where do the bosses go?

I know the standard tactic for vampire counts is to hold the enemies more powerful units in a bog of undead core choices and then procede to oblitorate the enemy flank with some very potent units usually consisting of some form of wight, and I'm curious as to whether, in your opinion, the characters are best suited to be residing in the hammer or the anvil?.

Naturally the general is usually placed center stage of the undead horde to provide march assistance to the somewhat crippled foot-sloggers, but in reality how far does an anvil have to move? Therefore would the general (be it Count or Lord in this example) be better off providing an extra bit of power to the hammer of your wights and speeding the flanking advance, in order to some-what gaurantee the your target is well and truly, undebatably hammered? A Necromancer general (Master or hero) on the other has no qualms about his releagated position and I do not debate that particular piece of logic.

Now the lesser heros of the horde, should all wight lords and thralls be carrying Banner of the Barrows or would an anvil unit not benefit more from his banner-bearing presence. Combining the Hell Banner carrying Wight/Thrall with a terror causing wraith, two of your core anvils could be causing terror as well as supplying a sharper point to the buisness end of your combat resolution, leading to the much covetted auto break of the fools who dared to challenge the 6 point zombies.

Which leads me to the lesser Necromancers, the ones that, in the absence of a vampire lord, have not been forced into the burden of generalship, thus resting on their shoulders a possiblity of a second and final death being the downfall of the undead legion. These lesser necromancers, although well suited to the task of sustaining the core anvil, also possess powerful aggressive magics of use to the flanking hammer, such as the awsome and revered, Vanhels Danse Macabre and also the Gaze of Nagash, Hellish Vigour (if not to strike first it still grants a re-roll to hit) and even Hand of Dust may find its use when brandished by a necromancer only gifted with one attack in the first place, and Invocation of Nehek may also find a use in march blocking a maneauvering enemy unit trying to escape the incoming flank charge or to provide a speed bump to force and enemy to change their units angle on the board. However could that Hellish vigor not also benefit the bumbling zombies or could Hand of Dust not slay the rampaging enemy hero slaughtering your anvil, and any Gaze of Nagash is welcomed in softening the adavncing enemy and a Vampire player will grasp at any Invocation of Nehek availible to advance the numbers in their legion.

So I present to use this question, despite the usual clear cut allocation of Heroic might, where do they really belong in the standard Vampire tactic of the Hammer and Anvil? Ensuring the might of the hammer or strengthening the defencive surface of the anvil?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well i reeally think it's all about what bloodline you play because for necracs they definitly should be the anvil but for blood dragon are useally the hammmer i am not sure about other vamps buti assume strigoi are muchlike the blood dragons in this area

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1283 (x8)

I place vampires with skeletons, almost always. Skeletons need the support for combat res. I never put one with knights as his march range is limited, especially as a flanker. And if the knights do well, they can suddenly be out of position after crushing a unit. Then they have to wheel or reform, and my general is doing squat the whole time.

Zombies might get a necro, if they need a unit to hide in and something better's not available.

Black Knights are almost always supported with a thrall or wight lord, tooled for combat.

Necromancers go where the game dictates. Against a magic heavy army with a lore like heavens, they hide in a unit. Sometimes I use GG if the field's really tight and necros have nowhere to really hide. If somebody's going to kamikaze in for my magic user, then he's going to have to pay.

I don't use wight lords with battle standards that often and haven't really developed an opinion. Actually, I've only used a thrall with the BSB since that's the only model I've painted although I have the wight lord one too.

I don't make strategies based on magic other than IoN and any bound spells I have as I don't know what the necros'll roll for when the time comes.
    Last edited by DavidWC09; May 15th, 2006 at 20:23.
    Painting Videos--My Warriors of Chaos--WHFB Tactica Index

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All of what David said is true. I don't run BSBs, they just don't do it for me. A thrall in a unit of BK is scary, and a good idea. I like putting my count/lord in skeletons, but the problem with that, is if they go against a heavy unit, the vampire will hold his own, while his army crumbles around him, and he can die to crumbling, which is an unavoidable and terrible feeling. With BK I am considering putting a BD count in a unit, and sacrificing movement for evasion and power. My normal tactic is a unit of zombies and one or two skellies in the middle, with ethereal host, wolves, knights, and ghouls on the sides. I try to do a pincer, but normally one side falls apart and the other is stronger. That can be good though, giving my center time to adjust its flanks.

BTW, Post 100!

LO's unofficial Jester Visitor Q's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    377 (x8)

I like putting my Generals in a unit of Grave Guard in the center or if they are Nechrachs behind the lines on thier own
    "God is dead" Nietzsche- 1886
    "Nietzsche is dead" God- 1900

Why are there scams? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q71FLDIMBc8

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1283 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Berny Mac
    I like putting my Generals in a unit of Grave Guard in the center or if they are Nechrachs behind the lines on thier own
    I've quit doing this for two reasons: people just avoid that unit and GG can't be replenished.

But a wight lord works well for me. People will think he's an easier kill, and if he has the sword of kings, he can make quick work of an unexpecting foe.
    Painting Videos--My Warriors of Chaos--WHFB Tactica Index

LO's unofficial Jester Visitor Q's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    377 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by DavidVC04
    I've quit doing this for two reasons: people just avoid that unit and GG can't be replenished.

But a wight lord works well for me. People will think he's an easier kill, and if he has the sword of kings, he can make quick work of an unexpecting foe.
    Good reasons and I like the idea of the wight Lord being a nasty surprise.

That said my deployment is often deliberatly quite squashed (zombies and Skeletons snadwiching a unit of Grave Guard this means if the enemy want to get some of the real Vp they need to get in close to my GG regiment. I avoiding being flanked (an obvious weakness) with Spirit hosts and mrach blockers.

Also I am quite risk averse I like to know my regiments will win, hence why I over-engineer there some what.

Its all different playing styles work well against some opponents but not against others.
    "God is dead" Nietzsche- 1886
    "Nietzsche is dead" God- 1900

Why are there scams? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q71FLDIMBc8

+ Reply to Thread