Vampire Lord or Vampire Count? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Vampire Lord or Vampire Count?

I've recently finally gotten enough models and stuff to field a 2000 point army, so my friend and I have finally moved up to some real games, instead of little 1250, 1500 non-epic battles.

And since I've upgraded, I've been pondering the question; Lord or Count?

I play Necrarch. I'm usually fielding a Lord and 2 Thralls (yes, I know the arguement for Necromancers over Necrarch Thralls, but I find my Thralls to work out a bit better for me). The last game I played using the Lord, he had Nehekara's Noble Blood, Dark Acolyte, Forbidden Lore, and Black Periapt. I had a pretty decent magic phase, if I do say so myself (overall, 9 power dice, a possible 10 with the Black Periapt, 6 dispel dice, possible 7, and 5 spells with my Lord)

But now, my friend is catching me off guard. He went from fielding a Skaven list with a non-existant magic phase, to fielding a Vermin Lord in one game, and Ikit Claw in another game, and all of a sudden busting out a more powerful magic phase than me (my thoughts about THAT are for another thread... :rolleyes: )

Against his Vermin Lord list, we played to a draw, and against his list with Ikit Claw, I lost, badly, but I used a Count, 2 Thralls, and a Necro.

I'm just wondering what the concencous is though, for 2000 point games, Lords or Counts? My Lord does great against armies that don't have huge magic phases, but against someone who might field a similar magic phase to myself, is that extra character choice worth having a Lord?

Another thing to consider is, I DO put my Lord / Count into combat. I stick him in right with my Grave Guard regiment (I've also heard arguements against this as well, but this is another tactic that has worked well for me up to this point, and in combat, a Lord has better protection for himself than a Count, even without any armor), so obviously, a better statline will benefit not only the Vampire, but the regiment as a whole.

Maybe I went into too much detail for a simple question, which is, 2000 points, what's best, a Lord or a Count?

Warhammer Fantasy: Vampire Counts | Wood Elves | Chaos

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

LO's unofficial Jester Visitor Q's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    377 (x8)

Personally when I play Necrachs I prefer using 1 count and three necromancers all tooled up with a mixture of offensive and defensive magic items and bloodline powers. I find this gives you the most efficient and powerful magic phase.
    "God is dead" Nietzsche- 1886
    "Nietzsche is dead" God- 1900

Why are there scams? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q71FLDIMBc8

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I always go count. VC usually rely on characters to do ANYTHING. So, in my experience, I always want to have the maximum amount of characters allowed. The only reason a lord would be better than a count is if you didn't need much of a magic phase at all, AND you are facing an army with lots of big, nasty, tough fighters (like ogre kingdoms, where the large number of wounds and attacks would be a good thing to have on a general.)

Usually, you don't even want to put your general into combat, because we all know if you lose him, you basically lose the battle (unless it is really late in the game). I try to avoid combat with my general unless I KNOW I will win easily.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In a unit of Grave Guard, and his statline, I haven't lost my general yet. Unless it's character vs. character, he's not gonna do any damage to my general.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Challenges are how he would die, if you played chaos or lizardmen that would be clearer, depending on who you play though, you can use that tactic. I use a necrarch lord precisely becuase i play those armies, and i need the survivability more than magic. I also do 2 necros along with him. I have drifted from magic heavy vc though, becuase i have had some really bad miscasts that ruined the game on turn one. If you learn to except that your lord/count could miscast on turn one and not cast for the rest of the game(it's happened to me) then go ahead. Also, I have had a lord take out an oldblood in a challenge, but then he died to crumbling, which was very disappointing. Anyways, with necrarch I like lords unless i want to runa wight lord too, with blood dragons or anything else really, I would do a count.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i use blood dragon lord cuz count sucks. i give my lord sword of battle and x-tra hand weapon and red fury for 8 ATTACKS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by chaosm4rine
    i use blood dragon lord cuz count sucks. i give my lord sword of battle and x-tra hand weapon and red fury for 8 ATTACKS
    I don't think you can do that... I don't think you can have a magic weapon AND an additional hand weapon. At least that's what my friend has been telling me. It's either or.

Senior Member The vampire Lestat's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I take a count but I throw a lord in about 1/5 games to keep my regular opponents on their toes and every so often that lord is on a Zombie Dragon.
    Nell2ThaIzzay its sound like your problem is that he's doing that sort of thing where he takes a pretty standard army but changes key units or models which forces you to adapt with the army you've been using, taking it away from its comfort zone. The best thing you can do is experiment with unit sizes and types and eventually work towards a balanced army for facing any type of enemy, and thus the tournement army is born.

As for characters, my vampire army is lahmian and as such I take either a single count and usually 3 necromancers, which means my character assisted combat potential is limited to a lahmian count. My usual battle plan for that army against a magic heavy army is to concentrate on casting defensive magic and dispelling as many of the enemy spells as possible. The second step is too target his mages where possible, as a Vampire Counts player you should have enough skeletons or zombies to hold his attacking units while your heavy units and light flankers target his mages. The game often looks like a losing battle until the end because so many of my enemies units are untouched but once his mages are fleeing or destroyed the large enemy units can easily be outnumbered by IoN and be dismantled or fleeing from the stupidly large numbers of undead, and fleeing is as good as dead for victory points purposes.

As Vampire Counts we are of the few lucky armies to have magic casters than can defend themselves and even the ones that can't have an incredibly powerful Lore to fall back on.
    So its probably best to go for as many extra mages as you can and forgo the Vampire Lord as against high magic armies you'll need more magic defence than physical.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by The vampire Lestat
    Nell2ThaIzzay its sound like your problem is that he's doing that sort of thing where he takes a pretty standard army but changes key units or models which forces you to adapt with the army you've been using, taking it away from its comfort zone.
    That's true, and he does have an advantage over me, because he has a much larger selection of models than I do. I'm limited, because he's financially better off than I am, and he can splurge on Warhammer a lot more than I can, so I don't have nearly the range he does.

We've waited so long to get into 2000 point battles because we were waiting on me; I couldn't afford to buy the models I needed to field a 2000 point army.

And now, he's decided to go beyond regular character choices, and he's decided to field some big guys, like a Vermin Lord, or Ikit Claw. Characters that I think are totally unbalanced (way too good for their point cost), and give him even MORE variety to change up his army, whereas I just kinda have to go with what I've got, and don't have a lot of room to work with regarding my lists.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1283 (x8)

I almost always use a count, two necros, and either a thrall or wight lord.

Vamp counts are still pretty survivable because of IoN. But myself I see two necros as really necessary to the magic phase, which is so crucial to VC. But since troops are so weak, I like having a thrall or wight lord to add some kills.

With necrarch I always go count because I'm a little more hesistant about throwing him into battle against big heavies. So if he's avoiding some combats, I need killing somewhere else, which is where a wight lord comes into play.

I do use a strigoi lord because with massive monstrosity and five wounds, he's one tough son of a gun to kill. In that case, I still use two necros for a magic phase with nine power dice, maybe 10 with a power familiar.
    Painting Videos--My Warriors of Chaos--WHFB Tactica Index

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast