Great Kills - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Great Kills

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1283 (x8)

Great Kills

Ok, this is a very fluffy thread.

I played a game the other night against my friend's LM army. Lately, he's using an old blood on a carnosaur, a stegadon, four kroxes, some sallies, and loads of skinks. And two swarm bases.

The game would end in a draw, but it was a lot of fun, see-sawing back and forth.

The best part was when my Strigoi lord flew out of his unit (the first time I took that ability) and plopped down by his two skink priests, who would promptly flee into the woods next time. He shrugged off a lightning bolt and proceeded to charge into the old-blood on his carnosaur. "What the hell," I thought, "why not?"

I attacked the carnosaur since it's armor save was less than the general's. I rolled to hit and made contact four times. Thanks to infinite hatred, I rerolled the two misses, and they hit, too. With Iron Sinews giving str 6 attacks against the carnosaur's toughness of 5, all the hits wounded. Now, I admit that I got lucky on the wounding roll, but it was a glorious site to see him remove that carnosaur from play after my lord chewed through its neck.

The old-blood would run and despite my three dice to pursue, got away. We locked up in combat again in the last round with neither general killed.

And earlier in the game, hand of dust dropped a giant. That's when I realized the value of infinite hatred in combination with hand of dust. It's almost unfair.

So I'm curious about your tales of guts and glory. And memorable great kills to share?

Painting Videos--My Warriors of Chaos--WHFB Tactica Index

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Your game sounds a lot like one I played today against my friend, who also is running Lizardmen, and runs the Old Blood on a Carnosaur.

I had my Necrarch Count and my Necrarch Thrall (carrying my Battle Standard) in my unit of Grave Guard, which were handling his units pretty well. But I got locked into combat with one of his regiments, did some serious damage to him, but we were playing 7th Edition rules, and he held off insane courage (grr!!!)

He charged my Black Knights in the front with his Stegadon, and the flank with his Salamandars. My Knights didn't hold up, and his Salamandars were able to overrun into my Grave Guard's flank. I fought off his block unit I was engaged with, and since I won the combat as a whole, was able to turn my facing towards my enemy. His Old Blood on the Carnosaur was right there now on my Grave Guard's flanks.

With my Grave Guard engaged now in the front with his Salamandars, I had a unit of Skeletons charge the Salamandars from the rear. I won that combat, and they fled through my Grave Guard, which killed them ( ). On my turn, I cast Hellish Vigour on my Grave Guard unit, and Hand of Dust on my general. He declared a challenge upon my general, and I accepted.

I need a 4 to hit (and kill) his general, and I get to re-roll if I miss... I roll to hit... 6!

Now his Old Blood has a 4+ ward save, and he had a re-roll. 1st roll: 1... second roll: 3

One swipe of my blade and I took out his general!

Unfortunatley, the Carnosaur stuck around, and inflicted 3 wounds upon my general, and I couldn't get a single ward save to keep him alive.

It was a general for general trade off, and obviously that hurts undead more than anyone else... but at least my general went down in a blaze of glory! My Necrarch stood toe to toe against the Old Blood and his Carnosaur, fearless of the mighty foe that stood before him, and proceeded to lay waste to him with a single swipe of his blade!

Like you, the game between my friend and I ended in a draw. I had my Thrall and about 6 Grave Guard left on the table, and he had his Stegadon, and 4 models of his core unit (I don't know what the rank & file Lizardman core unit is called), so all in all it was a pretty bloody battle.
    Warhammer Fantasy: Vampire Counts | Wood Elves | Chaos

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1283 (x8)

Very cool. Goes to show that vampires in general can really kick butt. And I've never used Hand of Dust very much before, but I might be keeping that the next time I roll for it.

Hex
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    80 (x2)

Well done for the lucky dice rolling! I, on the other hand, always roll very low, I have not got any Great Kills. The best I have done is my Zombie Pirate Vampire Fleet Captain picking out a High Elf LV4 Mage when the rest of his unit had gone, and slaughtering him somehow.
    "Well... that hurt" - Vampire Jon Skellan (Mannfred's right hand man) after being beaten up, falling down an underground waterfall and being impaled by a stalactite.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DavidVC04
    Very cool. Goes to show that vampires in general can really kick butt. And I've never used Hand of Dust very much before, but I might be keeping that the next time I roll for it.
    I kept it because of a previous game I had with the same opponent.

Somehow, my Necromancer got into hand to hand with my opponent's Old Blood on the Carnosaur. Well, when rolling for spells, my Necro rolled 1 & 2, so I had no choice but to keep Hand of Dust. Well, I cast it on the Necro, and I actually rolled successfully to hit. My opponent rolled a successful ward save, but it was at that moment that I realized how powerful Hand of Dust could be. If a Necro could land a successful blow (thus killing his general in one swipe), then imagine what my Vampire could do.

So in the second game, I rolled with my Vampire a 2, 3, and 6. Remembering what I had done with Hand of Dust before, I was debating between Hand of Dust and Curse of Years, and in the end, I felt that the Hand of Dust would be more beneficial to the game than Curse of Years. It did pay off.

And talking about vampires in general kicking butt... if you'll remember I started a thread awhile back about putting Necrarch Counts in units... well I have stuck with my strategy of putting my Necrarch Count in with my Grave Guard regiment (along with my Necrarch Thrall carrying my Battle Standard), and boy let me tell you, with a Banner of the Barrows and a Hellish Vigour spell on that unit, that regiment is all but unstoppable. I've only lost my general a minimal amount of times (as no matter how well you protect a character, you're bound to lose it every once in awhile), and boy can my Necrarch Count turn a winning combat for my Grave Guard into an all out slaughter. And if my Grave Guard are having a tough time dishing out some damage, well, just wait until I start rolling for my Vampires' attacks!

I forget which character exactly it was, but in another recent game (again, a draw), my Necrarch Count took out a Dwarf character in a 1v1 duel, in my most recent game I took out the Old Blood in a 1v1 duel, and was one 5+ roll away from having my general take out the Carnosaur as well (well, that's hoping at least. I'd have higher initiative, Hand of Dust, and a higher WS than the Carnosaur, and the Carnosaur doesn't have a ward save).

I can only imagine the kind of damage I could do with a Blood Dragon, or even a Von Carstien, where I'm able to wear armor, and get fancy weapons and such.

But... I'm a Necrarch man, and although they aren't the best combat fighters in the game (worst of the Vampires, and without any armor or mundane weapons, weak compared to most other combat oriented characters), I am totally convinced that Necrarchs still make great fighters. I've finally wisened up and started giving my Count the Ring of the Night. I totally had the wrong mentality about the ward save in the past, thinking that a 5+ isn't good enough to save against all the wounds, and therefore not worth 30 points. But when a Wood Elf Treeman dealt exactly 3 wounds to my general in a recent game, I realized all I needed to do was save 1 wound, and heal my general the next turn with Invokation of Nehek... and a 5+ on 3 rolls, those are decent enough odds to bank on that I'll save 1 wound, keeping him around long enough to dish some damage back (with high enough initiative), or if I get next turn, heal him back up to full health.
    Warhammer Fantasy: Vampire Counts | Wood Elves | Chaos

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My necrarch count also killed a giant once with hand of dust. He charged it on his own, cast the spell, but missed! The giant got pick up and eat, luckily I made that attack, and stopped him from being eaten. My friend and I decided that HoD would not carry to that attack, but the next turn the HoD hit and killed it.

Another time, a unit of GG and necrarch count was locked with a unit of chosen chaos knights and a lord. After 2 turns of them ripping through me, all that was left was 4 gg and my count. My count was also stupid that turn. By some heavenly luck however, my banshee swooped in, killed his 3 remaining knights only leaving the general. He targetted the gg, and only killed one! I autobroke him, and he fled off the table!

Also, in a game against lizardmen, I had a thrall in a unit of 7 bk with the cursed book. They charged cold one riders, and were stuck with them for a while. A stegadon then came in the flank and killed 4-5 of my knights. A unit of skeletons with my bsb thrall using a gw and hauberk then got the steggie in the flank, and held that up. Soon all that was left was my thrall from the knight unit. Skinks charged the skeleton flank, but I managed to do enough wounds that turn to kill the CoR, and break the stegadon and skinks, running them down.

Those are the stories I can think of right now, enjoy.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

1283 (x8)

This one wasn't so grand, but it sure was satisfying. A unit of skeletons with a wight lord bearing the sword of kings charged a unit of chaos warriors, which included the chaos general. The sword of kings did its thing, and down went the mighty chaos general. It was so great because my wight lord was so outmatched.

Even better in my mind is the time I summoned a unit of zombies in the rear of a unit of chaos warriors and dansed them into it. He did no wounds to my zombies, who in turn killed one, but with combat res and rear bonus, the warriors broke, only to be run down by my shambling zombies.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sounds like there have been some good kills from hand of dust. I had a similar one however it was my necromancer general who was extremely lucky and pulled it off... i dread to think what would have happened to my army of zombies if he died in turn 3.

I was playing 1000 pts against a skaven army, the player had taken a horde army with no guns and a dogs of war giant for a bit of hitting power. I had begun the game rolling a 1 and 2 for spells on my general and with thoughts of a dead giant going through my mind i was slightly happier with this spell than i usually would have been.

By turn three i had a chance to charge the giant with a unit zombies and hopefully tie it up for the entire game. I was having serious doubts about keeping my general in that unit but i figured if i succeeded with the hand of dust spell the look on my opponents face alone would be worth it. So i charged in and rolled to cast hand of dust with three dice - three 6's!

By this point the the whole gaming group was watching for the next roll of the dice, all i needed to kill the giant (and just as importantly save my general) was a 4. Which continuing my ridiculously lucky streak i managed to roll a 4 and hit the giant. After the death of the giant the army struggled to do anything decisive and i ran the entire army off the table with not a single model left unbroken. However to my opponents credit this was mostly because he failed to pass a fear test for the entire game and didn't really have any hitting power in his army which allowed the skaven to be outlasted.
    Last edited by Viewmaster; August 6th, 2006 at 02:53.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

1283 (x8)

You might just take the cake with that one, Viewmaster. A necromancer, even a master one, who kills anything deserves commendation.

Let's see...can I recall another one?

I've never had any great kills with a blood dragon. I've already related the Strigoi story. My Lahmian did kill an opposing Von Carstein general during a campaign. I haven't run Necrarchs enough to have anything spectacular with them. That leaves Von Carstein.

Okay, here's one for Von Carstein. I was playing Skaven, and Mark, the opposing general, had been kicking everyone's butt with his army. He's a cagy player, smart and strategic in his play. He had lots of units, just like you'd expect for a Skaven army. Making matters worse, Mark has a mouth just a bit larger than Texas, and he let everyone know they were losing. (He's a fun guy to play with--he just suffers from an inexhaustible wit)

His units were arranged in a checkerboard fashion, and I managed to foul up one half of his battle line by baiting his warp-lightning cannon with two wolf units and one unit of fell bats. I had no intention of charging his cannon since he'd surrounded it with Jezzails, but he was wary since in the last game I'd forced his cannon to flee off the board.

With his attention diverted to the wolves and bats feigning a charge on his cannon, I made for the opposite flank with most of my forces, throwing only a few token challengers at his units near his cannon on the right.

Suddenly, his heroes, a warplock engineer found themselves endangered. Foolishly, Mark pulled three characters into one large unit of rats. Vlad Clark Von Carstein moved in for the kill and tossed rat entrails up into the air.

Along with Clark, I hit him from two other sides, so his general couldn't hide. Utimately, his unit, with its three characters, ran off the board, and victory was mine.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    27 (x1)

Ok, i just gotta reply. Good topic so i thought i'd add one of my experiences. It's not a single kill, but more of a move that just couldn't have gone any better.

This occured at last years Gauntlet Tournament (all the northern UK GW stores go down to the Nottingham HQ for a tourny) with 1500 point armies. Not being a particularly beardy player i took a very well rounded army. Lots of skellies, zombies & wolves. The only non core unit i took was a unit of 20 GG. First appononent, and on table 1 no less, was a bretonnian player. The Bretonnian force consisted of 2 units of errant knights, some archers a trebuchet and a unit of 10 Questing Knights with the Paladin General & Battle Standard bearer in it (Ouch!) The first turn passed fairly uneventful, but the second turn was a lot worse. Some item/spell (i can't remeber) meant that the knights got the drop on my Grave Guard and smashed into them in the Centre of my lines. They had a banner that negated all my rank bonus, and wih 2 chracters + Knights when the dust settled there were only 2 GG left from a unit of 20!!!

"Ok, don't panic" i told myself. By charging in there he had isolated one of his units, and for this turn i had the drop on them. So in charge the Zombies on both flanks (one units with a Blood Dragon Thrall battle standard) and two units of wolves from the flanks (18" charge range FTW) Things sill weren't looking too rosey. I had outnumber, but only one real combat guy. Time for some Necromancer goodness. First i cast Invocation and got a unit of zimbues behind the knights. Second i cast Vanhels on those zombies, which was promptly dispelled with a scroll. My final Spell was Hellish Vigour on one unit of Zombies. The bretonnian player used the last of his dispell dice to get rid of. With an evil grin i revealed the Book of Arkhan. With no dice and no scrolls left, in went the zombies in the rear. The knights were now engaged on all flanks, but that just waan't enough...with my opponent now looking decidedly worried out came my final Ace Card - The Staff of Damnation. Instead of One unit striking first, which my opponent had dispelled, all of the units in combat now struck first and re-rolled misses. With the Blood Dragon slaughtering the Paladin General, the rest of the horde took his lead and went at it on the knights. When the dust had settled 4 more knights had died. With massive losses the Paladins pegged it, and were run down by the wolves.

The rest of the battle was easy enough. The Errants were mopped up, and the wolves took out the Trebuchet. In the end i had over 2000 VPs from a 1500 game due to having all the table quaters, killing the general + capturing most banners & battle Standard. Not a bad start to the tournament. :shifty:

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast