How to beat Dark Elves - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How to beat Dark Elves

Hey me and my friend are going to play a "friendly game" i was wondering if i could have some advice about it normally. I play a blood dragon army list with a lot of skeletons (around 60) This is a 1500 point game thanks for the advice.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would raise skeletons right in front of his xbowmen, his rbps, and anything else that shoots. That will make it so that you can protect your important stuff, and if he doesn't kill everything, you can charge with the unit. I would run 2 necros and a bd, oh and ethereal host will probably do great things. Wolves and bats would be picked apart, so they may not be the best unit. Ghouls with -1 to hit and t4 are a good idea as well.

Hex
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    80 (x2)

Yes, do not use Wolves, Bats and other vulnerable units, they will be shot down by nasty Dark Elf fire. I suggest big units of skeletons to tip combats in your favour.

Two LV2 Necromancers and a BD with a lot of equipment is essential, but don't make him too many pts. Raise lots of skeletons round the flank, and Danse Macabre is very useful to allow you to get to the enemy quicker.

Good luck,

Wolf
    "Well... that hurt" - Vampire Jon Skellan (Mannfred's right hand man) after being beaten up, falling down an underground waterfall and being impaled by a stalactite.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    150 (x8)

I wouldn't bother raising skeletons with a whooping 6+ save against shooting, go for numbers with trusty but braindead zombies. Easier to raise, when creating a new unit, and more wounds.

Hellish vigor will work on them just as good too when it comes to combat.

Use Spirit hosts as mentioned before, and also banshees will be a nice asset to tie up a unit of crossbows or warmachine crew in place. (you might even kill something if you are lucky!)

Another option would be to swamp the board with fat units of zombies, and focus your magic on getting them moving or putting pressure on a flank with some gazes.
    Best Regards,
    Wolf_Pack

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1283 (x8)

Everyone is right in one way or another. Raise zombies, not skeletons, for blocking shooters. However, I would use dire wolves and fell bats. Those two long range units, along with zombies popping up on the battlefield, can take out warmachines and skirmishers.

The last thing you want is to be eaten up by a bolt thrower.

Also fell bats can counter enemy flyers like harpies.

If you're running blood dragon, you should have a field day squashing low toughness elves. Kit this guy out for rerolling misses and extra attacks. He should rack up the combat resolution. I'd get my blood dragons into combat ASAP against any elf army.
    Painting Videos--My Warriors of Chaos--WHFB Tactica Index

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey sorry, I think I meant zombies, it was just the more common word that comes to mind, I do agree though, numbers are better, go for the zombos

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    40 (x2)

I would take wolfs and bats (not bat swarms but fell bats). The will provide the threat of attacking shooty units by turn 2 without a stand and shoot. And yes you are right. They will be shot up immediately but while the opponent is shooting all the fast stuff the main army can make it across the field and hit the enemy line unharmed. Once you get your blocks of skellies in on a dark elf line you will plow through it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Vampire Counts Versus Dark Elves

First we need to look at VC

Strenghts:
    Immune to Pys
    Unbreakable
    Magic
    Strong Characters
    Bloodlines
    Cheap
    Fear causing
    Board Control

Neutral:
    Heavy Hitters & Weaker Hitters

Weakness
    Shooting
    General
    Marching

Dark Elves,

Strenghts:
    High Initiative
    Multiple Attacks
    Seige Weapons
    Fast Calvary
    Unit Shooting
    Balanced Unit

Neutral
    Few Large Size
    Mediocre Magic

Weakness
    Point Cost
    Low Amour
    Weak Characters

Vampire Counts naturally have the advantage in this match up, but lets look at the break downs, and why VC should beat Dark Elves.

Dark Elves Tend to Focus on MSU & MSE tactics. Multiple Small Units & Multiple Small Elites. This plays to all their strengths, Where the basic goal is max the number of Attacks coming at your units. They tend to have larger fronts, and few ranks. Key Units are Dark Riders and Witch elves. There are a few other list out there, but for the most part they lack in ability to bring victory.

General Strategy

Our Goal is to prevent Dark Elves from hurting our magic user, (they have few answer to our Lord and Count, other than combat resolution). How and when you place your Zombies and Skeletons from your summoning with change the outcome. Timing is extremely important. When they advance summon your speed bumps, when they retreat, do not pursue. I cannot stress this enough! Instead Summon or bring up another unit to Support your flanks. Their Goal is open up your flanks by making them pursue you. If you can win the magic war, you should be able to wrap up the game.

Their archers will take down any wolves and bat that you have. Do not worry, because these are genuine threats to their flanks. If they make this mistake and do not kill your fast feet. Use them to deny flanks to them. Tie them up in combat. Or pursue their Magic User. After that they will be shooting at your heavy hitters, to most armies this could break them, tough we are Undead. Good Luck Their Bolt Throwers will be character hunting. Please keep them safely tucked in blocks. When you character get into combat they have relatively few answers.

Controlling the Middle is ideal for this match up. Keeping all your unit moving forward, and keep taking away from their chances to retreat and rally. The ends of your flanks will be slightly exposed. But this is okay to me. Again if they retreat Let them. Force them to run off the table. Do not allow them to advance on your flanks. If by any chance they do get into your flanks Bring a heavy hitter into their flanking unit. Or simply ignore the fighting, and keep advancing.

Witch Elves will dominate you in the pure number of attacking coming at you. Smarter players tend to hold these back. They wait until your lines start to close their, and make a front sometimes up to 15 long, and will be able to take two units of skele or zombies at once. Have a Counter for these beast, and everything else will play out nicely. Cauldron of blood also is nasty. I advised not destroying it, but playing around it.

These units also tend to deploy extremely tricky, or lack of logical sense. This is just to throw you off your game do not think much of this, as they fast moving units, and cover ground easily.

For the other units we can match them fairly well in combat. We know their strategy, we know how to play around. All it takes now is decision on your part to be creative and kill their units. You have to be creative and kill their units. I will not tell you how to carry out all the details, because they have to be learned by oneself.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I too find it very hard to beat DE in my 2000 point games against them. Still winless but I have been getting better and better results. My main progress has been to *gasp* not bring any black knights at all, and instead focus more on huge tarpits of skeletons and some spirit hosts, as well as a big unit of grave guard to keep my center (with the magic banner that gives me 2 chances to save incoming missle fire). My main problem seems to be his chariot with a lord and his cold one knights slamming through my units and then just coming back from behind. Not sure I have an answer yet.
    Karnov let all of us fulfil our repressed dreams of being a fat Russian man running around in the great outdoors and getting shot at by weird stone heads and crap. You didn't have a repressed fantasy about doing such marvelous things? Well, I don't believe you . . . [djpretzel]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Give me there army composition and yours, i believe due to your list and where you placed your character is cause of your defeat.

Tarpits to tie up there men is losing stragety becuase they will slaughter you in CC you have to throw everything at the same unit, becase of there iniative and ability to cause woundes. Did you understand my write, re read a couple of times. DE for the most party is an easy army for us to beat. The only things they really hurt us are Witches Elves and Cauldron.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast