Is using Mannfred in 2k suicide? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is using Mannfred in 2k suicide?

I've been playing around with the Vampire counts in 2000 point games for some time, and as much as I like to use him for the great model as well as that staff which is awesome, it seems like only being able to cast Invocation a maximum of 2 times (assuming other hero is Necromancer) really shuts down the strength of the undead army. Alternatively, I would probably take a count, 2 necros and some sort of melee hero (thrall or wight or wraith). I've been toying with a master necromancer but it just isn't as cool as having the big vampire to cast the spells.

Karnov let all of us fulfil our repressed dreams of being a fat Russian man running around in the great outdoors and getting shot at by weird stone heads and crap. You didn't have a repressed fantasy about doing such marvelous things? Well, I don't believe you . . . [djpretzel]

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1283 (x8)

Well, since it appears that you can put him in infantry and not get shot at in the new edition, I think he's much more viable. Myself, I don't like putting generals in cavalry and have them racing off. Not everyone feels that way though. I just like those big units with an infinite number of skeletons for summoning myself.

With Mannfred, it really is the points issue. If you can build a strong army around him with cheaper, core units, then I think it'd work.

I forget how many power dice he uses and hero slots he consumes, but I think another important factor is the magic support you can give him.
    Painting Videos--My Warriors of Chaos--WHFB Tactica Index

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    150 (x8)

Mannfred would probably do great running solo caster in the Sylvanian army. 3 grave markers and is staff give him 4 bound spells, and he still as 6+ to cast with pending on is combat prowess.

Run him with a were-thrall, and many shall join is ranks...
    Best Regards,
    Wolf_Pack

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well from what I hear that army is no longer a valid one. As for him being on a horse, as long as I can keep him between two units but back a bit, he should be safe from shooting. In the next edition that won't work the same but oh well.

Here's what I usually do with him, I use the necromancer to try to create 2d6+2 zombies in front of my opponent's shooting stuff, and then I use other spells until I get to the point where there isn't alot of dispell dice left and then I use his staff for the automatic casting of the 3d6+3 zombies (which they can still pull a scroll on). Then I usually use Dense Macabre to smack the zombies into a shooting unit close enough to where they can't stand and shoot. I just can't seem to get enough summonings off with just 2 chances to cast it seems.
    Last edited by greymeister; August 23rd, 2006 at 04:01.
    Karnov let all of us fulfil our repressed dreams of being a fat Russian man running around in the great outdoors and getting shot at by weird stone heads and crap. You didn't have a repressed fantasy about doing such marvelous things? Well, I don't believe you . . . [djpretzel]

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1283 (x8)

You're right. Relying on two IoNs per turn is risky. I almost always go with three casters, all using IoN unless some other spell would really accomplish something important.
    Painting Videos--My Warriors of Chaos--WHFB Tactica Index

+ Reply to Thread