Official LO 7th Edition VC Army Build - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1283 (x8)

Official LO 7th Edition VC Army Build

Okay so maybe not "official" but I wonder if we can get something like a semi-consensus.

So greymeister got me to thinking with this (Do you think that VC is going to get renewed.....)statement.

Fear-Causing being removed makes it MUCH harder to win with VC, and Static Combat resolution only goes so far, as many armies can easily match the number of troops we START with. The question is whether or not we will get enough units created before our necromancers and vampries inevitably fry their brains on miscasts now.
    Determing army composition is always a chore, and the eminent rules changes will affect every army out there.

For VC that means determining character builds, how many infantry blocks to field and whether they're core or special, and unit cost. Also, we all know how important the general is and that we must strive to keep him alive at all costs.

So how about this for a topic starter: Let's build an all-around VC list for general play taking into mind the new rules.

Greymeister's comment makes me think that we should start with numerous core units. Most people already start skeletons and zombies out at a large size, so we're not losing out much there. Instead of running them four wide, turn them to five wide and pay for another rank if you have less than 25 or 30.

It seems like the more unit we start with, the more we can focus IoNs on building new units.

Should we use more ghouls and dire wolves than before?

Last edited by DavidWC09; August 26th, 2006 at 16:07.
    Painting Videos--My Warriors of Chaos--WHFB Tactica Index

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    150 (x8)

I will incorporate some ghouls in my current list when the next edition hits the shelves. Being able to flee from a charge is a must if you don't want to end up in a bad spot, and they'll be able to work around enemy units once yo've engaged them, and catch them with a crossfire at a cheaper cost than fell bats.

Also, with magic getting tuned down, it will be import to have other sto get the job done without using IoN to get new units behind combats.
    Best Regards,
    Wolf_Pack

Son of LO
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    523 (x8)

I uaually start my zombie units 8 wide! but then i take them in units of 40.

I also only ever cast IoN on the lowest level, so the miscast will (hopefully) not be too harsh on my necros.

One thing i am concerned with though is all this talk about the "character psychology transferring to units" rule. Are we saying that i can take a unit of saurus warriors (which are usually led by a character anyways) and stick a scar-vet on a cold one with them and the unit now causes fear!? This seems rediculously overpowered:wacko:

But LM are my tourney army of choice, so if it is true then yay!

Ciao

Stonehambey

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    46 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by Stonehambey
    One thing i am concerned with though is all this talk about the "character psychology transferring to units" rule. Are we saying that i can take a unit of saurus warriors (which are usually led by a character anyways) and stick a scar-vet on a cold one with them and the unit now causes fear!? This seems rediculously overpowered:wacko:
    Yeah I'm really worried about this one. I don't believe it affects too many armies, but it definitely is a shortcut. I'm more worried about the unit becoming immune to fear. As much as I'd like to put my Slaaneshi sorcerers in marauder squads and grant them immunity, I think it's a bit overpowered.

How much about this rule do we know? I know a big thing they are adding in this edition is "clearing up" the rules for character psych vs unit psych. I'm hoping that this means they clarify silly things like frenzy characters and whatnot. I can't immagine that frenzy carries over, lol.
    The Hierarchy Chaotica: Kinky Sex > Change > Disease > Blood

98% of the population actually believes these stupid statistics. If you're part of the 2% of humanity with a brain, put this in your profile.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow, I'm the inspiration for a new thread?

But seriously, I don't see how you can expect to win by casting IoN on the lowest level, on average that's 3-4 skeletons and 5 zombies. Even three casters will make 13 zombies or 10 skeletons. Then, if that squad gets charged, combat resolution will probably mean that unit goes away. Just doing this behind or on the enemy's flank might work but then you still have to deal with their troops killing your troops once they get in combat. The way I have been able to stick around before is just create more troops than they can kill until I finally get a charge in the flank or rear and then make the unit flee. Don't know if that will work anymore.
    Karnov let all of us fulfil our repressed dreams of being a fat Russian man running around in the great outdoors and getting shot at by weird stone heads and crap. You didn't have a repressed fantasy about doing such marvelous things? Well, I don't believe you . . . [djpretzel]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    54 (x1)

Depending on what spells i get in my army I will usually only cast level 1 IoN on my units. If i get a lot of long ranged damaging spells i will use 1 die to cast IoN so i can draw out a dispel die or 2 from my opponent and then hit them with curse of year or gaze of nagash. But if a lot of my spells are for close use like the danse and hellish vigour I will use the level 2 and raise a lot before i get into combat.

There are so many good spells in the VC army, i don't know why people seem to always use IoN so much. If I had the choice to raise more guys or kill some of the enamies men I would choose to kill my opponent men and wait for combat to raise.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    150 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by BustaCaps
    There are so many good spells in the VC army, i don't know why people seem to always use IoN so much. If I had the choice to raise more guys or kill some of the enamies men I would choose to kill my opponent men and wait for combat to raise.
    If you play at a tournament level, you will find very hard to rely on your 1 gaze of nagash ( if you are lucky 2 casters will have it) to go through. with only 2 spells per necro, and 3 for you lord, it is unlikely for you to get multiples all the time.

They tend to be saved dispel dice for, or scrolled. Since, all your casters have acces to IoN, it as more impact on how often yolu can get it off, hence why it is more reliable.

I would not cast 1rst level with a single dice right off, it might just scrap you a power dice 1/3 of the time, I would rather 2 to get safer casting value, and force my opponent to think how serious the threat is.

On the oter hand, if I have a leftover dice at the end of the phase, why not ?
    Best Regards,
    Wolf_Pack

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1283 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf_Pack
    If you play at a tournament level, you will find very hard to rely on your 1 gaze of nagash ( if you are lucky 2 casters will have it) to go through. with only 2 spells per necro, and 3 for you lord, it is unlikely for you to get multiples all the time.
    What about taking lore of death on a necromancer as a fix for that ? The default spell is a decent magic missle, especially at its low casting value (unless that changes with 7th?). The same character could have the rod of flaming death.
    Painting Videos--My Warriors of Chaos--WHFB Tactica Index

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have actually thought about that too, the problem is that you are then limiting yourself to one less invocation a turn, and unless you give your vampire lore of death, your necromancer is still only going to have 2 spells (or I guess 3 if he's got the spell familiar).
    Karnov let all of us fulfil our repressed dreams of being a fat Russian man running around in the great outdoors and getting shot at by weird stone heads and crap. You didn't have a repressed fantasy about doing such marvelous things? Well, I don't believe you . . . [djpretzel]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    46 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by Stonehambey
    Got a look at the rulebook today. This is indeed almost true. If a unit is joined by a fear-causing model, it doesn't cause fear itself, but it is indeed immune to the effects.
    The Hierarchy Chaotica: Kinky Sex > Change > Disease > Blood

98% of the population actually believes these stupid statistics. If you're part of the 2% of humanity with a brain, put this in your profile.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast