Heinrich Kemmler - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hex
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    80 (x2)

Heinrich Kemmler

I've also loved this special character, he's maybe my favourite in Warhammer. He has a fantastic background/fluff and some good rules. The link only includes some of his profile, he actually has his own spells and some other magical items too. These are in WD309.

What do you think about using him and Krell? They sure can cause a lot of damage, and Kemmler's powers with spells are great. The 'Hero' scenario in WD309 is probably best played with him, due to his power over undead and the number he can raise quickly.

I really like him, how about you?

Hex

"Well... that hurt" - Vampire Jon Skellan (Mannfred's right hand man) after being beaten up, falling down an underground waterfall and being impaled by a stalactite.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    54 (x1)

Ya sure his rules and background are great, but he is a special character. I tend to stay away from special characters since a lot of times they arn't balanced enough, and I find using special characters in any battle less than 5000 to be pretty stupid, since why would some highly decorated or well known lord or hero lead an army of only a couple of people. So what i say to you is just stick with the heros in the main section of the book.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    40 (x2)

I'd say stay away from special character too. Yes, they are great but they bend the rules of the game in ways that nothing else can. This makes them unbalanced and usually makes for a boring game where a win will not bring you much satisfaction. Special characters are cool to use in those rare 4K+ games. I guess some will even go well in 3K games but in lower point games they tend to take over the whole game. It will end up being all about them.

Hex
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    80 (x2)

How about the actual character himself, rather than just special characters in broad term?

I'm starting a short story about Kemmler's treachery, which I will be posting soon in the fiction section. Will you be compelled to read it?

Hex
    "Well... that hurt" - Vampire Jon Skellan (Mannfred's right hand man) after being beaten up, falling down an underground waterfall and being impaled by a stalactite.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I enjoy using special characters from time to time. It allows me to change the way my army works slightly. I never understand the special character hate that seems to exist in all GW games.

For Kemmler specifically, he's just gotten alot worse in 7th because now he can only use his own or the common pool of magical dice. His speical ability to keep casting any spell while he still has dice is obviously not that great anymore. Before when you could have him shoot out 4 or 5 invocations was awesome.

I would just make him a master necromancer and then use the model. You can give him the more potent wargear and save yourself the hero slot because the one thing that made him awesome isn't really a factor anymore.
    Karnov let all of us fulfil our repressed dreams of being a fat Russian man running around in the great outdoors and getting shot at by weird stone heads and crap. You didn't have a repressed fantasy about doing such marvelous things? Well, I don't believe you . . . [djpretzel]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    40 (x2)

The special character hate is easy to explain. They tend to ruin the game. Same with dragons or a bloodthirster. The whole game becomes about them. If you can kill the special character/bloodthirster/dragon you win. If you can't you lose. The rest of the battle doesn't seem to matter much anymore.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well when you put it in that light I guess it is easy to see the hate. Well let me put it to you in this light and see if it sounds the same:

Hating the game because it's just about hordes of infantry is easy to explain. They tend to ruin the game. The whole game becomes about worthless peons. If you can kill more of them, you win, if you can't, you lose.

If you like character driven battles use characters, if you like hording up models and then removing them one after another as a battle, do that. Personally I would be fine with my undead army if all I had was 3 characters, the first 5 models in every unit, and a bunch of dice/beads/whatever. Dice makes it easier though because I can just have alot less to represent the number of wounds a unit has.
    Last edited by greymeister; October 2nd, 2006 at 22:34.
    Karnov let all of us fulfil our repressed dreams of being a fat Russian man running around in the great outdoors and getting shot at by weird stone heads and crap. You didn't have a repressed fantasy about doing such marvelous things? Well, I don't believe you . . . [djpretzel]

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1283 (x8)

Worse than Kemmler is Krell. With his new rules, at least in the Lichemaster list, he'll fail his stupidity test most of the time.
    Painting Videos--My Warriors of Chaos--WHFB Tactica Index

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    40 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by greymeister View Post
    Well when you put it in that light I guess it is easy to see the hate. Well let me put it to you in this light and see if it sounds the same:

Hating the game because it's just about hordes of infantry is easy to explain. They tend to ruin the game. The whole game becomes about worthless peons. If you can kill more of them, you win, if you can't, you lose.

If you like character driven battles use characters, if you like hording up models and then removing them one after another as a battle, do that. Personally I would be fine with my undead army if all I had was 3 characters, the first 5 models in every unit, and a bunch of dice/beads/whatever. Dice makes it easier though because I can just have alot less to represent the number of wounds a unit has.
    I can respect that opinion. But you have to agree that the name of the game is WARhammer fantasy BATTLES. This hints towards battles with armies rather then a few ubercharacters. I can see people enjoying the ubercharacters but lets face it. They don't take much tactical play. Making units of peons work together to beat an army that is what takes the tactical thought. Also only in movies does 1 or 2 guys defeat whole armies. In real battles it's the peons that win a battle. The game you are longing for is commonly referred to as herohammer. There is nothing wrong with that but be advise to make sure your opponent is cool with that otherwise the game might not be a fun experience for either of you.

I'm not saying not to use characters. By all means use them but the game should be balanced. I for one have seen 1 character armies that I would also have an issue with. The game is not an all or nother game. In all honesty I see good players with balanced armies as thougher opponents then someone who takes a lot of one thing. Eventually the person with alot of one thing will run into opponents who have the answer for that.
    Last edited by Sylvester; October 3rd, 2006 at 16:37.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sylvester View Post
    The game you are longing for is commonly referred to as herohammer.
    You're making it sound like it's wrong to play Warhammer in a way that you don't like it. I find that a bit hypocritical.

It's everyone's game. Play it the way you want, don't criticize other people's play style just because it doesn't fit yours. If you don't like the way someone else plays Warhammer, then don't play them

Note that my other post was in the same light as this one. I am not saying it's wrong not to like characters, but I also don't think that's a real useful thing to tell the original poster. Hex apparently came here to post a question of whether using Kemmler was tactically a good idea, but people responded with "Well I don't like special characters" etc etc which really doens't help him at all.
    Last edited by greymeister; October 3rd, 2006 at 19:48.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast