Against Wood Elves - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    41 (x2)

Against Wood Elves

Hey everyone, I've got a big game coming up against wood elves and they are the one army I have never played against (under the old rules and new ones).

I was just wondering if anyone had any pointers they could give me (what works well against what) and anything in their list i should watch out for.

Thanks in advance.

In case you'd like to know, this is a brief list of what I'm going to be running
    Vampire Lady (Lhamian, of course)
    2 necromancers

3 blocks of 20 skeletons
    2 units of 5 dire wolves

1 unit of 4 spirit host swarms
    1 unit of 8 black knights

either 2 banshees or 1 black coach (havent decided which to take yet)

My 40K Armies:
    ----------------
    - Thousand Sons
    - Mordian Imperial Guard

- TAU
    - Dark Eldar

My Fantasy Armies:
    ---------------------
    - Lhamian Vampire Counts
    - Empire

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The wolves may not be such a hot idea, the problem being that with as many scouts as Wood Elves can have, they will be able to get shots on them.

Generally their leadership is pretty good, so most of the Lahmian things probably won't pay off (other than go first of course )

With 3 casters you have a decent chance of getting Gaze of Nagash. Keep it if he has alot of dryads. Their ward saves don't work against magic missles

My advice. Also, not sure if Wardancers can have magical attacks, because if they don't, throw the spirit hosts at them. They are NASTY.
    Karnov let all of us fulfil our repressed dreams of being a fat Russian man running around in the great outdoors and getting shot at by weird stone heads and crap. You didn't have a repressed fantasy about doing such marvelous things? Well, I don't believe you . . . [djpretzel]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well I myself just started playing Wood Elves and I noticed that wood elves have quite some trouble in a long combat, they rely on quickly breaking the enemy unit with alot of combat points for flanking and killing alot, but they haven't got alot of rank bonuses. And with your undead minions being unbreakable, I think you could do very good just summoning lots of skeletons into your existing units to prevent it from being destroyed, and then just get his units in combat... they won't be able to destroy the undead unit in turn one, and then they will start to lose unless they make ALOT of kills, and then probably either die or eventually run from autobreak to fear-causing units. Unless they're dryads because those cause fear themselves!

Oh and another thing, make sure to protect your characters because I think Wood Elves have quite some nasty ways to get rid of them, for example they got a bow that can 'snipe' individual models in units just like a Hochland Rifle.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Continuing MisterDutch's thought about characters: Look out for killing blow from his characters. It's a nasty surprise for your lady.

And the Treeman or Ancient Treeman is one tough cookie. If you are to kill it you need to invest a lot of manpower to it, maybe its better to just get him entangled with a lot of zombies.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    41 (x2)

Yeah, I just looked over their army book and noticed how high most of their leadership values are...looks like that rules out the banshees. I've tried using the psychological bloodline powers for my lhamian, but they've just never worked out, so I only invest in the innocence lost power (I'd use quickblood too, but I have enough points for crown of the damned, so why not?)

In higher points, I usually just use the dogs to annoy my opponents and keep em buys (march blocking, etc...), but with so much missile fire, they'd probably just die early on, so perhaps i will take them out of the list.

thanks so far. The game is tomorrow, so if anyone else has any tips, tell me soon, thanks!
    My 40K Armies:
    ----------------
    - Thousand Sons
    - Mordian Imperial Guard

- TAU
    - Dark Eldar

My Fantasy Armies:
    ---------------------
    - Lhamian Vampire Counts
    - Empire

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1283 (x8)

I would take banshees before I'd take the black coach. Their ld is high, but not as high as dwarfs. One good roll or two, and goodbye wood elves.

Unless the WE player uses a treeman or eternal guard, the coach is useless. The WE player can just choose to ignore it.

Don't over-rely on fear since all forest spirits cause fear and many units are ItP, like wild riders and wardancers.

Watch out for wardancers as they have the killing blow dance, which will drop your lord in a heart-beat. They can also challenge your lahmian in that they can opt to go first, meaning you'd have to roll off in inititiative didn't resolve it.

As for wolves, they'll die quick to missile fire. Be judicious in your deployment in them and don't be too reckless. This would be a great time to use lots of wolves if you had the models.

As has also been noted already, treemen are UGLY in combat, but on the other hand, their ward save doesn't work against magic. SO the black axe of krell on a wight lord or the sword of might on your lahmian would do a lot.

The trick will be engaging his small, mobile units and holding them up long enough for reinforcements to arrive. Don't let the frailty of elves make you overconfident.

FOrest Spirits hit hard, as do wild riders and wardancers. Warhawks are outstanding mage hunters with their ambush rule, so be wary of what he's doing with them.

Unless he goes magic-strong, and most WE players don't, you won't have much to worry about there. You can cast with relative impunity and not defend overmuch. But if he does go magic strong, expect a strong defensive phase from him, and a respectable offensive one, too.
    Painting Videos--My Warriors of Chaos--WHFB Tactica Index

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    41 (x2)

Yeah, it does seem like the coach would easily get outmaneuvered.

My normal strategy with the wolves (since I only own ten models) is to deploy them first on the side of the board that I don't intend to deploy the rest of my army. That way (hopefully) he'll deploy one or two of his units on the side of the board with the wolves, leaving his forces split up a little bit (I figure I can afford to throw 50 points away on one unit of wolves)

I'll make sure to watch out for that killing blow ability. My dice pool will have 10 power dice and 7 dispell dice (including a book of Arkhan), so I'm guessing I'll be solid in the magic phase.

Thanks again for the advice
    My 40K Armies:
    ----------------
    - Thousand Sons
    - Mordian Imperial Guard

- TAU
    - Dark Eldar

My Fantasy Armies:
    ---------------------
    - Lhamian Vampire Counts
    - Empire

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

last i tried to take with my necromancer army the item rod of flaming death, against wood elves it is a quite amazing item and a little bit magical shooting can compensate a bit the fact they are trying to oumanouvre you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Something you might want to take advantage of is that at least when I played against WE, I totally dominated the magic phase.
    Karnov let all of us fulfil our repressed dreams of being a fat Russian man running around in the great outdoors and getting shot at by weird stone heads and crap. You didn't have a repressed fantasy about doing such marvelous things? Well, I don't believe you . . . [djpretzel]

The Dvl in Pale Moonlight danceman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    121 (x3)

Personally I´ve ruled out Ethereals completely against Wood Elves, their mobility plus an abundence of magic attacks and ItP units makes their use very limited.

The spirit hosts will however be a real headache for his wardancers(but as most WE players will have a Wardancer highborn with blades of loec... the spirit hosts are quite limited in their use).

Most his units will be skirmishers and so will allign to you when you charge, this opens up some nice options for you. Namely to position yourself so you can roll over his line(this is quite obviously a role meant for Black Knights). WE is however highly mobile thus not all to easy to pull off(and he will probably expect it as well). I´ve had quite a few good runs though with unit of 10-11 + banner of barrows.

Ghouls... I luv em. Mobile and can dish out quite a few attacks as well. Very well suited to deal with the WE flyers and wizardhunters. The fact they are dirtcheap is also a nice little thing!

If you roll Gaze of Nagash, keep it. Against T3-4 targets all with a pathetic save(or no save thanks to magic missles VS their forest spirit save). Some of their units have MR though so pick your targets wisely.

Banshees VS Black Coach. I probably go with the Banshees for the same reason as Ghouls except that Banshees are quite adept at killing Wood Elf characters too. If he goes tree spirit heavy even with his characters the Banshees will be pretty damn useless. I would actually avoid using Banshees or the Coach.
    ""What's the matter? Don't ya like clowns? Don't we make ya laugh?" - Captain Spaulding.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast