Ghouls - their effectiveness? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ghouls - their effectiveness?

Hi, i'm currently building my VC army and I love the character and profiles of ghouls - 2 poisoned attacks each makes them ideal for taking down very tough opponents like treemen/chaos spawn.
    Against big units they obviously can't be used because of their low leadership meaning they would likely flee if they lost CR.
    So the only other use apart from large tough single models like spawn or treemen are small groups of skirmishers or artillery crew - but thats too obvious and the enem will probably defend against that. Thats why i like the surprise attack against a scary tough monster if theres a way to stop them running away for a turn and charging in - with a unit of 12 led by a ghast all thsoe poisoned attacks would probably do the trick in the first turn so they only need to hold for 1 turn... options?

However, how do their fare in your experience against such tough monsters? does the terror usually makde them flee? And is there a good way to prevent them fleeing from a monster?

Im thinking on 2 units of 12 each led by a ghast (3 poisoned attacks is too good to pass up!) in my army, advancing them under cover on both sides of the battlefield.
    My Vampire counts army will contain a black coach and black knights, so those very theatening units should draw the attention of the enemy away from the ghouls while they sneak around the sides and seal the trap.
    what do you think about ghouls then? Any advice from your experiences using them?
    Thanks

-Slyth

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    46 (x2)

I personally love ghouls, but they are so damned expensive cash wise. $12 for a blister of 3 is crazy. I'd recommend converting your own.

So then on to tactical uses. I usually take ghouls in units of 6. I find this a great number because if they do take some casualties and run away, no real loss. Nice and cheap. I usually use ghouls for a few different jobs. They are great screens, being skirmishers with T4, and can take small arms fire very well. I'll often deploy them in front of important units, (GG for instance), and then move out of the way as we advance.

Ghouls also have the ability to march without the general nearby, and to traverse easily through terrain. Ghouls can be used to root out enemy scouts, or advance safely through a forest. They also have the rare ability to flee from charges. This is very useful as the rest of your force will have to stand firm and accept any charge.

The downsides is their leadership. If a round of combat goes poorly, they can't be expected to stick around. I would not recommend throwing them into combat against R&F troops without already engaging them from another side with something able to generate static combat res. Against large monsters as you said, terror will turn to fear against ghouls, and so you will very likely fail to charge, and if charged, you are likely to only hit on 6's, (though that's all you need anyway lol). I use ghouls heavily vs Ogres, as poison works great against the high T bad armor bulls.

So, I'd say a unit of 12 is a bit too much, and I personally never find it useful to include a ghast.
    The Hierarchy Chaotica: Kinky Sex > Change > Disease > Blood

98% of the population actually believes these stupid statistics. If you're part of the 2% of humanity with a brain, put this in your profile.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

However, with a von Carstein, ghouls can be awesome because they will almost never fail their leadership other than break tests.
    Karnov let all of us fulfil our repressed dreams of being a fat Russian man running around in the great outdoors and getting shot at by weird stone heads and crap. You didn't have a repressed fantasy about doing such marvelous things? Well, I don't believe you . . . [djpretzel]

The Dvl in Pale Moonlight danceman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    121 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by greymeister View Post
    However, with a von Carstein, ghouls can be awesome because they will almost never fail their leadership other than break tests.
    Indeed, the increased LD aura of the von Carsteins are very nice to have if you intend to use alot of ghouls. Suddenly their poor LD value wont matter anymore.

-

1. 2 Poisoned attacks means they will eat through poorly armoured infantry(including Ogres :ninja: )

2. Mobile, thus will make it easier to counter your opponents fast units

3. cheap, you can get 5 of them for 40pts...

4. They cause fear!

5. They can flee.

In short, I never leave home without them!

One thing though, they are ALIVE! and so you cannot use vanhels danse on them! A thing which is easily forgotten.
    ""What's the matter? Don't ya like clowns? Don't we make ya laugh?" - Captain Spaulding.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    43 (x2)

They are great, altough remember to use terrain unless you want them to be screens.
    As for failing terror tests that is no problem as they cause fear themselves (thus the terrorcauseing unit only cause fear to them), and as the ghouls should outnumber your opponent fear ain't THAT big a deal.
    -lurking in the shadows of LO.

Officially diagnosed by Tekore
    Melkhior, Necrarch Lord

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanks for the replies! ill take ghouls for sure, maybe reduce the unit numbers to 2 x 8.
    Could you elaborate for me please? how is this achieved, by a von carstien bloodline power?

-Slyth

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    46 (x2)

Von Carstein vampires have the ability to take a bloodline power called "Aura of Dark Magestry", or something along those lines. This extends all of his "being the general" abilities to 18 inches instead of 12. This essentially means that any ghoul unit within 18 inches of your vampire can have a leadership of 9 or 10, instead of 6. This is very helpful for avoiding panic or terror problems.
    The Hierarchy Chaotica: Kinky Sex > Change > Disease > Blood

98% of the population actually believes these stupid statistics. If you're part of the 2% of humanity with a brain, put this in your profile.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

cheers! im designing my list so i can be played either as lahmian or von carstein, and seeing how ghouls arent very Lahmian-like, they would be in a von carstein army anyway, so thats cool :yes:

+ Reply to Thread