"Bodyguard" Units - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"Bodyguard" Units

So I'm just wondering everyone's opinion on this;

Do you think that 180 points is a bit expensive for a bodyguard unit?

Whenever I play, my list usually consists of 1 22 model unit of Grave Guard, 2 20 model units of Skeletons, and a 20-30 model unit of Zombies (depending on the rest of my list).

My general Vampire Count and a Vampire Thrall go in the Grave Guard unit while I put one Necromancer in each Skeletons unit.

This causes a problem, however, when I want to get my Skeletons into combat, because I don't always have an oppourtunity to get my Necromancers safely out of the regiments before they get into combat, and Necros don't last too well in combat.

So I was thinking, perhaps I change the backbone of my army a bit.

1 22 model regiment of Grave Guard, with Necrarch Vampire Count and Necrarch Vampire Thrall
    1 25 model regiment of Skeletons, with Light Armor, Champion, and Standard Bearer
    1 30 model regiment of Zombies
    1 20 model regiment of Skeletons w/o Light Armor, acting as a bodyguard unit for both Necromancers, deployed BEHIND my main lines.

The advantages I see:

My Necromancers are safer than being in a unit that will get into combat. And without even the 5" rule now, DEFINATLEY safer than being on their own somewhere.

Being behind my main lines, the unit is less likely to be charged, protecting it from combat. Also, with most of our spells not needing line of sight (except for Gaze of Nagash, of course), being behind my own units won't hinder me from casting strategic Invokations of Nehek, use other spells I may have, and may put my Necromancers in better position to utilize the Staff of Damnation that one will inevitably be carrying, instead of likely being too far from a unit that may be in need because the Necro is stuck in a Skeleton regiment that's too far away from the fight.

The disadvantages I see:

Despite not equipping with armor, a 20 model unit of Skeletons still costs me 180 points; that's 180 points that's NOT being spent on offensive firepower, or what have you.

But at the same time, my strategy is highly devoted to successful magic, so what's 180 points to help protect the focal point of my army? I mean, we spend points on Ward Saves and such on our general...

So I'm just wondering what people's opinions are on this. Losing my Necromancers is probably one problem I face quite frequently, so I'm searching for ways to avoid that. In my head, playing pure TheoryHammer, I think this is a pretty good idea, but I'd like to get some other perspectives on this.

Warhammer Fantasy: Vampire Counts | Wood Elves | Chaos

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1283 (x8)

I've used lifeboat units before. For me it's a small unit of zombies, just 10, behind the main troops. As long as I'm careful about flyers, fast cav, scouts, and the like, it works pretty well, as long as I don't have Gaze of Nagash as one of my spells.
    Painting Videos--My Warriors of Chaos--WHFB Tactica Index

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    40 (x2)

I use a unit of 15 skellies (I never use zombies) with full command and light armor. placed directly behind my 2 big units of skellies (29+ vamp or thrall). I know it's 175 points doing nothing but it's points spend on protection and it's strong enough to not be whiped out by a flank charge of knights.

I don't depend on magic that much but it is always nice to have. Popping up a unit of skellies in the enemies backfield can be a game winner. But I do have the cursed book on one of my necro's so by them staying close to the main units the first rank of opponents is almost allways fully within 5". I love tooled up chaos lords needing 4's to hit WS2 skellies.

This way my necro's are safe and I don't have to worry about the cursed book character being killed. Also if my necro's get gaze of nagash I leave a small opening between the 2 main units (nothing anything more then 15 mm so nothing can charge through it). Which gives my necros some line of sight to some stuff and I can still cast it. Let's face it you only need it for warmachines or shooters and they are often on a hill. 90% you cast IoN anyway.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You know Sylvester, I like your point about the Cursed Book.

Currently, I run my Necrarch Vampire Count with Nehekara's Noble Blood, Dark Acolyte, and Ring of the Night. My Thrall carries my Battle Standard (no magic standard), Dark Acolyte, and the Book of Arkhan. 1 Necromancer carries the Staff of Damnation, and the other carries the Power Familiar. I wonder if giving up my Power Familiar would be worth carrying the Cursed Book. I'd lose a power die and a dispel die (I think the dispel being the worse of the 2 losses), but it could really help me in combat...

I might give that a go sometime.
    Warhammer Fantasy: Vampire Counts | Wood Elves | Chaos

+ Reply to Thread