Orc Strigoi theme? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Orc Strigoi theme?

Hello all,

I just finish my 2k orc army and with my too much imagination I just though about a second army. I search and search for idea to use my 40k ork at their full use in fantasy and just reminber back then when I was playing VC and their infinite convertion possibilities. So i just though, WHY NOT?

I got over 60 orks and alot of bitz so here's my plan. A ghoul army with flying circus of doom. So here what I though:

Vampire count or lord flying
    Vampire thrall flying
    Vampire thrall flying
    Vampire thrall flying

7 unit of 9 ghoul ( that the main thing, all skirmishs, no blocks, Crazy.....)

Spirit host (so useful against my opponent)

Maybe some fell bats if I find something cheap to convert

Black coach

Giant

I still got to think about the special choices. Ghoul from orcs with good paint jobs they will look okay, spirit host from snotling, black coach from a charriot I got left and giant from...giant that I can convert/paint zombie :whistle:

I already look at some people on this forum doing something similar but I want a theme ghoul army. More fun than competitive but I want to still give a hard fight to my opponent.

The main problems I see is the army composition, I need some help there and all the tactics about strigoi I can have. I need to says that I'm not a noob, I already play VC but never the strigoi bloodline.

PLEASE give me your thoughs and help, I really need them.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1283 (x8)

There's a cool OG converted army in an old White Dwarf, I just don't remember which one.

Strigoi are known as RnF killers, whereas Blood Dragons are character killers. IMO, though, Strigoi can stand up to enemy characters just the same with their ward save and invocation of nehek.

I really like iron sinews, massive monstrosity, and infinite hatred. You have five attacks at str 6 that can be rerolled every turn, and that extra wound keeps him around a long time.

As for army comp, I really think you need to use some necromancers. Having only a single lvl 2 caster won't do you any good. You could use shaman models as necromancers.

A chariot converted to be your black coach would be really cool, but it's darned expensive, almost as much as a giant.

Here's a pretty standard VC army
    count
    thrall
    2 lvl 2 necros

2-3 units of infantry (mix of zombies and skeletons)
    a couple of units of dire wolves
    a unit of fell bats
    a unit or two of ghouls

Then take your pick:
    some spirit hosts
    or black knights
    banshee, maybe
    black coach, maybe

I think that VC stands out from other armies in that core lists are your true essentials...they will win your games for you. Black Knights and Grave Guard are cool, but it's those lousy core troops that will win simply through numbers and fear. Wolves for flanking, hunting war machines, killing skirmishers, redirecting chargers, etc. Fell bats for march blocking and warmachines.

Ghouls have tons of uses: screeners, flankers, protecting flanks, taking out light enemy, dropping poison on armored units, etc.

Oh yeah, I don't like flying Strigoi. VC generals need to play it safe IMO. But then again, it sure is fun when your general charges 20 inches out of a unit and jumps a warmachine crew or some enemy riding a monster. I did that once and ripped the throat out of a carnosaur in one round (infinite hatred, baby!), leaving an old blood dumped on the dirt wondering what had happened. But really, I don't do it regularly.

Have you read the tacticas in the index? There's some good info there.
    Last edited by DavidWC09; January 30th, 2007 at 03:35.
    Painting Videos--My Warriors of Chaos--WHFB Tactica Index

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for help David. I always see you around helping peoples

My idea was to use alot of ghouls unit and use flying strigoi but maybe it was not meant to be a competitive one I need to specify that my army idea will mostly look good on the tabletop than use as a game winner.

I need to say that the unit are mostly pick for the convertion I can make. I want a orc theme but without having the normal R&F army. Orc zombie are nono for me but I think I got some skaven hanging around that with a gobbos head can be used as zombie

I could use 2 block of zombie with two necro as static block and the rest will be mostly ghoul and fast things.

Orc charriot to black coach dosen't need to be exensive, alot of undead bitz with two dead boar as mount and there you go!

I will post my list later.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you won't be using R&F I don't think magic is as critically needed as usual, so your list could probably win in a non-competitive (or rather friendly-competitive) environment. It will take some special tactics and experience, but that's all good fun. So if entering tournaments is not a priority, I'd say go for what's fun for you.

As for tactics, it really depends on the army you'll be facing. A lot of shooting might hamper your flying Strigoi, but against armies with moderate shooting you should be able to run them around until you can pull off some combined charges. With the four vampires ganging up on infantry, they should be able to tear through most things in one turn. The most important thing, I would think, is not to be tied up in prolonged battles, but move on to a different target every turn, hopefully.

Just a few thoughts. I would love to see some pictures of the orcy-ghouls when you get around to making them though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well I'm in a "friendly" store, everyone but one player (but everyone hate him) want to have fun before all. I play the tournament each two week but mainly with my orc and I'm sure I could play the VC when painted and converted, everyone love when someone come with a funny army.

I calculated some pts and come with a list with a lord, two thrall,63 ghoul,15 bat , 3 spirit host,black coach, 10 direwolf. I might change the black coach but right now, that what's I made.
    Any though?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That sure is a lot of bats, they should take care of any artillery trains.
    It sure looks like a very mobile army, and if played right should shift and reform right before the opponent, so he won't know where or when to strike. The key is movement and placement, don't let your units get caught in any possible overrun situations, as ghouls don't take charges by anything remotely big too well. But with some clever fleeing and countercharging you could put your opponent in some very tough situations. Only problem is that fleeing ghouls needs the generals leadership to reliably rally, so that could limit his usefullness. On the other hand, what's a few ghouls when you've got 60+! It may be better having the general tearing through the enemy than worrying about rallying.

Also the upgrade to a lord gives you a little more magic defense (if you buy the 3rd level), which might come in handy. Not much, but a little. And adds a little more survivability to your general (not that there's much to crumble anyway!). Depending on the amounts of magic and general-sniping you usually face, I might consider the count and extra thrall, for the added killing power though.

A little food for thought (hopefully).

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1283 (x8)

It'll be interesting to see how the list does. Personally, I don't think you'll get that far with all ghouls.

Would your buddies let you use the strigoi list from the back of the book? It has some infantry options that would help. Also it has the upgraded ghouls, charnel guard.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes they would let me use it, because it seem pretty balanced.

If I used the back list, I can make a 20 squad unit of charnel guard to use his full potential.
    The only problem is no black coach, but like I said earlier, I don't need it that much.

The stryggany look cool but how I can convert them! I can have 24 empire guys with lance and shield and 24 empire guys with guns but they might be hard to convert.

The main problem of my army is I don't have rank or hammer unit, they may be need to win.

I also though about doing zombie with the empire I can have (hard to convert) and make them ''slave'' to the orc and then take a lord with two necro. More magic, more summon, and still the same number of ghouls. The only change I will need to make is replace the black coach.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

1283 (x8)

Some DoW units could add some character for slaves and such.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    40 (x2)

The problem with a list like this is that it's a one trick pony. It's not balanced at all and good players will take advantage of it and bad players will complain about the comp of it.

I mean 3 or 4 flying vampires with hatred is pushing it.

The tactic is very clear. Bats take care of warmachines and when that is done the vampires all attack the same unit. Then you have up to 17 WS 6/7 str 5 attacks with hatred and it should break just about any unit.

I know it will work but it won't make you any friends.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast