1000 point army - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 1000 point army

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1000 point army

Hey, i'm going to create a 1000point Vampire count army for a local campain in my GW shop, and since last time i played warhammer is 2 different rulesets ago i would like to get a little help making out what rocks now.

I created a list and it looks like this:
    Heros:
    Trall (necratch) with the ekstra spell level = 125 point
    Necromancer level 2 = 100

Core:
    Zombies x 20 = 135
    Zombies x 20 = 135
    Skeletons with spears x 20 = 205

Special:
    Grave guard x 14 = 208

Rare:
    Banshee = 90

Total 998 point

I'm going to place the vampire with the Grave guard and the necromancer with the skeletons.

I's this a sure way to doom, or will i have a good 1000 points army with these choises?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hello there, here's a few thoughts:

I would drop one unit of zombies and drop the spears on the skeletons.
    Drop the Grave Guard, 14 is way too few anyway and they are a huge point sink in 1k games.

Add another character. I always max out my hero slots.
    Get 2 units of 5 Dire Wolves for speed
    Get a small unit of Ghouls, 7 or 9. Ghouls are great!
    Add 3 Fell Bats to take care of any warmachine crews.

This should add some tactical flexibility.

-Paz
    Rork edit: Woah! Check your spelling - you only give "special chocies" to your girlfriend.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hear what you are saying, but it seems that all i would have left would be suport units. I'm not quite sure if that would be so good, but then again it is 5 years since i last lifted the dice.
    I talked to a friend of mine at my local gaming store and he told me that Dire wolfs are best at protecting (meatshielding) my Black knights and since i'm wasent planing on using those, i dont like the idea.

But loosing the zombies and gaining some gouls sounds like a good idea.

and one last thing, why do you think 14 graveguards will be to few in a 1000 point battle, point wise they are close to the skeletons and i sure think 14 graveguards would do better then 20 skeletons.

But i will look over my rulebook again it seems

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nah I don't think it will be the case that all you have is left are support units. Zombies and skeletons will basically become the central part of your army, and the usual approach is then to have some flankers such as dire wolves and ghouls to remove flanks/ cause kills. Also two units of rank and file in 1000pts is ample, you could take three if you really want.

I think what Paz will be saying about the graveguard, or at least the approach I'd take, is that they don't really have any specific benefit for the points cost. They aren't a fully ranked unit (ie the unit is not 20 in size) and are likely to be shot and lose what rank bonus they have. They also cannot be re-raised which is a problem in games this size.

Graveguard probably won't do better than the skeletons. They really don't kill that much equipped with shields and their main attribute seems to be their survivability. When I use them they are effective at depriving the enemy of easy rank and file kills, so as to reduce combat resolution against the unit. Anyway if you do want to use them maybe try giving them a specific role such as a flanking unit (although black knights would be better at this) and take the minimum 10 of them.

One last thing on the dire wolves, they can be used to screen black knights but generally are too weak to do so and I think its points wasted, as they could survive and assist the black knights, or other units, on the charge. They're a pretty fast, flexible unit and are cheap flankers at 1000pts where you may not want to pay for black knights.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ahh, you make a good point. Could i get you to rewrite an armylist then. I would like to know how i could pull it of.

Hero
    Trall with the ekstra spell level
    Nacro 2 + book of dance macabra
    Necro 2

core
    20 skeletons
    20 zombies
    5? dire wolfs x 2?
    10? ghouls

Rare
    Banshee

Is that close to what you surgest? I read over some of the topics in the forum and it seems like you all like Huge blocks of zombies and lots of dire wolfs, so there must be somthing about those direwolfs that i cant understand until i have a few battles under my belt.

I will give it a try, bought me the first 20 zombies and painted them today so my 1000 point army will be ready for combat in less then 14 days. So i would like to know what exactly youall would think have a chance against what i might face in the campain. (by the way its a mighty empires campain, and it looks great.)

Well thanks for now
    Last edited by benji; June 23rd, 2007 at 14:17.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hello again

The main thing with the DW is that they are fast. I just feel that you need some kind of flexible unit to marchblock and threaten the enemy flanks. Marchblocking will give you a bit of time to raise more infantry so you are guaranteed to outnumber when your shambling horde goes into CC

Remember, the DW have a base move of 9', that means 18' on the charge. With the slavering charge they can actually deal out some damage as well. Slam them into an enemy flank already engaged with your infantry and watch them run! If you are in doubt, proxy them in a friendly game prior to the campaign.

Good luck!
    -Paz
    Rork edit: Woah! Check your spelling - you only give "special chocies" to your girlfriend.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks paz, that was a great idea, i will do that :yes:

Never thought of playtesting the army, Doh! And i'm starting to get what youall are saying.

Vampire counts are about Mobs, and flanking. You are using the unbreakeable ability to hold the enemy for a few rounds while you place a more mobile unit in the flank to take rank bonus and, in best case, kill a few enemys forceing the enemy to flee. And this is where i'm starting to understand Direwolfs, because they run down opponents with 3d6 right. That sure makes a difference.

Ghouls are just much more mobile then the blocks of zombies and skeletons and even the graveguards that i love so much (come on, they look SO cool), making them a better chose in such a small battle.

So thanks a lot, i'm starting to understand what these vampires are all about. (Y)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah I think Paz is right about the direwolves being valuable for speed and marchblocking. March blocking should be especially useful in a magic heavy army such as this where you will be wanting to get a few more turns of magic in against some armies.

The list looks fairly good, probably break the ghouls into two units of 5 (similar to dire wolves). This way you have two small flexible units. Smaller units are probably better as any excess troops in a unit of skirmishers are useless (they don't provide ranks etc).

The other thing is just on the number of infantry that are needed. Dire wolves can really come into their own in protecting the flanks of your units. If your opponent has more infantry blocks than you then dire wolves can be used to ensure that your main units do not get flank charged. This is basically done by putting a unit of direwolves in front of the opponents additional unit to ensure that they must charge the wolves rather than your flank.

Anyway it all seems to be looking good, and when you get to 1500 pts then you can easily include a large unit of graveguard in your list!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You really got it right, this is exactly what VC is all about :yes:
    I really love the GG too. Once you build a bigger army, throw in a unit of them like Viewmaster said.

I wish you the best of luck in the tournament, and I hope you can tell us how it all worked out.

-Paz

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well thank, i will write about the campain once it starts, and perhaps inquire how to improve my army to 1500.

For now, i have a lot of painting to do, but with 20 zombies and 20 skeletons done (Looking quite good i might add) i'm more than half way done.

Anyway, if anyone need help to speedpaint i recomend Fanatic army painter, it looks good and you can do 20 skeletons (with a better standart then most warhammer players) in 1 hour.

+ Reply to Thread