Tooling up a Wight Lord -> ? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

View Poll Results: Which is the better build for a Wight Lord?

Voters
39. You may not vote on this poll
  • Option 1: Sword of the Kings - Go for that Killing Blow!

34 87.18%
  • Option 2: Great Weapon - Try to maximize wound potential with Killing Blow as a bonus!

5 12.82%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tooling up a Wight Lord -> ?

Just a question on people's opinions about this:

What do you think would be the best way to tool up a Wight Lord?

Currently, I am contemplating between these 2 builds:

1. Wight Lord - Heavy Armor, Enchanted Shield, Sword of the Kings, Talisman of Protection
    Overall points: 114
    Benefits: Stuck in a unit of Grave Guard carrying the Banner of the Barrows, this guy becomes an insane character killer, which opponents are weary of letting their big characters get in combat with, thanks to the 5+ killing blow, hitting on 3's (often re-rollable if I get off a Hellish Vigour)
    Negatives: At only S4, I am relying on that 5+ killing blow. If I don't get that killing blow, then I'll have a tougher time dealing wounds due to the fact that I won't negate much in the way of armor saves.

2. Wight Lord - Great Weapon, Flayed Haubrek, Talisman of Protection
    Overall points: 109
    Benefits: A very strong armor save that makes him hard to hit, as well as the fact that at S6 (Great Weapon) I'll be dealing some major wounds, especially stuck in a Grave Guard unit with Banner of the Barrows, hitting on 3's and wounding pretty easily with S6. Unless I'm going against Bretonnians with their 5+ ward save on S5 or higher, I'm negating a lot of armor.
    Negatives: Without the Sword of the Kings, he doesn't become as great of a threat as a character killer, with that his killing blow is now only on a 6, instead of a 5. I am halving my chances of getting a killing blow.

So in your opinion, which would be the better build for the Wight Lord? Currently, I am going with option 1, the option that brings me Sword of the Kings, as the 5+ killing blow makes him a NASTY character killer, and put in the Grave Guard unit, the Grave Guard will be able to deal out enough kills on their own, having a model that can take out any characters that could be a threat to that unit is nice.

But the other option came to my mind just now, and I am a bit intrigued with it, as with a Great Weapon, I don't need to rely on that killing blow so much anymore.

Warhammer Fantasy: Vampire Counts | Wood Elves | Chaos

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

LO's unofficial Jester Visitor Q's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    377 (x8)

I think its going to have to be option one

Option two is a hard character but that 5+ Killing Blow is simply too good to resist. And with three attacks there is a good chance you will get it.
    "God is dead" Nietzsche- 1886
    "Nietzsche is dead" God- 1900

Why are there scams? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q71FLDIMBc8

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

oops i voted wrong but anyways... haha it shold be sword of kings, IT totally rocks.....

Slaaneshi Battle Barge CO
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    127 (x5)

I had to go with the Sword of Kings, too. A 1 in 3 chance of KB is simply too good to pass up.

It usually takes a pretty tough unit with a character in it to stand up to the GG, but the presence of a Wight Lord with with the SoK makes people much more reluctant to square up with the unit, leaving your opponent with an the unpleasant choice of sending in regular infantry, who will get slaughtered, or making a fight of it with a tougher, character-led unit, which might might win the fight, or might have their character killed in the first turn.

As an aside, does anyone actually use the Talisman of Protection on the Wight Lord? Is it worth it? Another question: Would the Gem of Blood work better for a character killer?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Sword of Kings, if i can remember correctly from the last time i used it almost 3 years ago simply rocks!!! If i can remember correctly i believe i killed a chaos lord. Gotta go with a 5+ killing blow over the strength bonus!!!!! and it appears to be unanimous too if adamegry voted wrong.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Psyan View Post
    As an aside, does anyone actually use the Talisman of Protection on the Wight Lord? Is it worth it? Another question: Would the Gem of Blood work better for a character killer?
    I use it, because with the Sword of the Kings and Enchanted Shield, it's all I have points left for. I take the Enchanted Shield, because I like the extra armor save that it provides me. 2 points! For only 10 points! I love me the Enchanted Shield.
    Warhammer Fantasy: Vampire Counts | Wood Elves | Chaos

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    55 (x1)

Me and my buddy took the first Wight Lord to the doubles tournament last year as a budget character (kock off the Talisman and he's only 99 pts). On paper he's good, but he didn't really do much, though that was mainly due to our horrendous dice rolls with him.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1283 (x8)

I go with enchanted shield and sword of kings. I've dropped Chaos Lords and Old Bloods with that character. He's cheap and effective, a great bodyguard for a necro or boost for weak undead troops.

Great weapons are better on vamps. Str 7 makes even dragons and treemen weep.
    Painting Videos--My Warriors of Chaos--WHFB Tactica Index

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i would suggest sword of the kings and gem of blood...for the hero's low point cost the chance of giving back a wound is really good! i would field him on a barded nightmare, to have a good armour save.

bye!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if you give the unit he is with a banner of the barrows then he hits on 3s and killing blows on a 5+.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast